Fionn's scur - or lack of it =]

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by lesserweevil, Jun 4, 2009.

1. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Did you know, I'm amazing? No really. I'm amazing. *coughs* well... maybe only a leetle bit amazing. Sort of. OKAY then not really amazing at all *grumbles* but hey, it worked, right??

*ahem*

What I'm REALLY saying is that a couple of weeks ago I noticed that Fionn's scur... or rather, ONE of Fionn's scurs, was deciding to grow into his head after too many bashes with Whissy... or was it Harmony... or... could it have been Demi? I'm being sidetracked again. Sorry.

SO I thought Hey!!! Why not try a little banding here? I didn't think it would work... and I've never tried banding a horn before and so didn't know if I was doing it right, but I slipped on one of those cute little orange bands - he didn't care less. Then, nor after, nor... now... except, the band isn't there any more so i guess he can't mind any longer... oops sidetracked. Again. Sorry.

His scur fell off today! Way shorter time than I thought it would take - maybe he bashed it on something. But anyway, it fell off, bled a little bit but not much, my friend sprayed some iodine on it to stop any infection. And that's the end of The Scur! Maybe I will ring the other scur now...

I do have a slight question though (if you're still reading after all this rambling) Will the scur grow back? Or is it gone for good? I banded it right at the bottom.

LW

PS I know I'm not really that amazing *sighs* :ROFL: :ROFL: :ROFL:

2. sparks879

sparks879 New Member

Banding works great on scurs. I did some on a friends alpin buck a couple of weeks ago. Chances are it will grow back, it seems to be really hard to get them off of bucks. If you can burn it a bit with a disbudding iron that helps.
    beth

3. Dreamchaser

Dreamchaser New Member

Oct 29, 2008
    Camp Verde, AZ
    Yeah, I am sure it will grow back. My Pygmy has scurs, and he is always knocking them off when he plays too rough. Poor thing. I need to do his, but I don't have a disbudder. Side question, is an electric dehorner the same thing?

4. Just Kiddin'

Just Kiddin' New Member

Nov 18, 2008
    Southern California
    Yes, an electric dehorner is what you want. I have the Rhinehart X30 and like it a lot but I know a lot of people like the X50 model better. It's all a matter of preference.

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    LOL...... :greengrin: ......I agree ....it most likely will grow back.........I am glad... it didn't bleed much... when it came off though... :hug: :wink: