Fionn's shed =] & major impatience!!!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by lesserweevil, Jan 24, 2009.

1. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Ok... so the last 2 days I spent working full-time to get a shed organised for Fionn (my yet-non-existent-buck)

There was a storm at home last weekend - some kind of minor hurricane or something, they said. Anyway, I was going to put him in the empty shed area next to where we keep the chickens. But the storm kind of... made that not gonna happen. The window at the back of the shed blew in, and also the storm made evident all the leaks in the rest of the roof... and it just looked generally crappy.

So I thought, where the heck am I going to put him??!!!

Just to remind people, here's the plan of the area:

[​IMG]

The thin white box that I labelled "storage" isnt actually correct. It has (had) 2 large heavy black wooden doors on the front, bolted, with concrete blocks helping to hold them shut... and hadnt been opened (at all!) in about 10 years.

I went up to the barn area with Dad... and kind of as an aside, moved the blocks, unlocked the doors and looked inside. On the left were 3 tier high rabbit hutch arrangements which we used when we had a rabbit (meat) breeding program (they got myxymatosis or however you spell it - or something like that, and died) On the right were about 20 - 30 large panes of old glass. And bundles of thick black piping. Etc. Oh, and lots of leaves... and dirt... etc.

HOWEVER. The roof was sound. The walls looked sound. And despite the fact that it really looked crap, I had a vision for it. Heck, I should've taken a photo!!!

So, the next day I got a couple of the guys to help carry the hutches out (at each pull they disintegrated a little more... and a little more...) and then I got a wheelbarrow and took a few barrowloads of glass to yet another shed to store them in (dont know why we're keeping them) and dragged out the piping, etc. Then I swept and shovelled all the leaves, dirt, etc out of the shed, washed the walls, and that evening Dad helped me to build a 4ft high gate for the shed - after I had levered off the big black doors with a crowbar and hammer.

We then put a 1.5 ft high wire addition to the door at the top just in case he was a Demi and liked jumping things.

I WILL take photos of the shed when I go home next week. But, I'm really excited as I now have somewhere to put him! It's not as long as it is in the diagram - probably half the depth of the other shed. About 9 - 10 ft? And maybe 6 ft wide.

When it's dry, the chickens range everywhere and will give him company... he'll be able to hear the goats in the barn. And I'm really hoping to be able to persuade people in the future to allow me to keep a wether friend to keep him company. As yet, I havent managed to do that... as I dont pay for the goats' keep, etc I cant just decide to keep a wether "Just like that".

Maybe it'll work out that one of Demi's babies is a boy - if she has any boys they'll be wethered at birth, pretty much - and maybe I can surrepticiously keep him...

who knows? :shrug:

but hopefully Fionn will get enough human company and chicken attention and be able to hear the goats, enough, for now... also I plan to buy a tether so he can be outside. The only dog there is around is our pooch Meg, and if Fionn was tethered we'd keep Meg away from him until they were properly introduced, etc so that he didnt panic and run and hurt his neck.

I need to see if I can buy a "proper" tether or something so that it works and doesnt get all wound up... etc

ANyway *squeeeeeeee* excitement! Im still waiting for a pic of my bucky as the guy who owns him had a family tragedy etc so was all caught up with funeral arrangements.

LW

2. greatcashmeres

greatcashmeres New Member

Jul 13, 2008
    Maine
    Re: Fionn's shed =]

Where there's a will, there's a way! At least you discovered the bad roof in time to come up with alternate plan, and wow, you didn't waist any time getting it done. BTW I like the name you chose, and yes pics, when you're home.

3. BeeLady

BeeLady New Member

Sounds like a great home-to-be! Would like to see pics and get some ideas for my buck plans. I have an old cow dairy barn that I'll use to milk the does and am considering putting in birthing pens. Always great to find a new use for existing resources.

4. goatnutty

goatnutty Active Member

Oct 9, 2007
    South East,IN

I agree! :wink:

5. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007

As soon as I'm home - I think Thursday - I'll be sure to take some pictures of the shed and post them! I do so wish I had thought of taking "before" photos though! :(

6. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

That was wonderful LW to come up with that size an area for Fionn! Very certainly big enough for him and solid sounding too. I can't wait to meet him!

7. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    It's not just me, right? SOMEBODY other than me must get that terrible "aaaaaaargh" impatient feeling deep down in their gut... and ... higher up... and pretty high up. Heck it's EVERYWHERE

...that tells me "forget the stupid photo! Just tell him to bring the buck to you NOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW"

*forces self to be patient* :angry:

*aaaaaaaaaaaargh*