Firecracker is hurt

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by kelebek, Oct 20, 2008.

1. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    In case you missed it on my vacation thread, I came home to a very hurt little girl.

We got home from being gone for almost 3 days. I started to do a head count and realized that I was missing 2 does. I started looking around and down by the feeder, I noticed something strange. I went down there and I found Fire, my May 08 Nubian doeling hanging limp from the rebar feeder with her head stuck. I thought for sure that she was dead. I went over there and touched her - no movement. I went to lift her up so I could get her head out and she let out a little noise - oh my she was alive.

I pulled her down and stood her up. She couldn't stand. She was so week. Her front legs swollen and "squishy" but it was dark and couldn't see. Stepped into the moon light - it was blood. I held her so that she could stand and rubbed her belly a bit.

I took her up to the barn (carrying a 60-70 pound Nubian) and be now she could stand a little but not walk at all. I put her outside the fence and brought her grain and pellets. She started eating (phew!) then I heard hubby come out of the house. I yelled that I had a goat down and asked if he would finish feeding the horses in the other pen for me. He went and fed while I got all my materials together and took her into the house to the bathroom. I took a good look at her.

She has a rub burn behind one ear and her front left leg is a bit mangled. One hole that I will leave along, one hole that is about 2 inches long and 1/2 inch wide down to the bone, and then one bigger gash that is more like someone took a cheese grater over it. Temp 102.0

We cleaned the area with iodine and flushed the open wounds. Then i loosely wrapped with telfa and wrapped with vet wrap so that it could drain nicely. She stayed in the house in a large kennel and was wonderful. Not a peep out of her. Tonight I am going to shave and suture the large open wound, put on antibiotic cream, and rewrap. Just to let it heal faster. I am going to do the sutures myself. She is on Vit B complex, Pen G (might switch to LA-200), nutridrench and yogurt.

I put her in with two real nice goats today and she was eating well. She was able to stand herself up this morning so that is a huge improvement.

I will keep you all posted on how this goes. As long as we can keep the infection out - she will be fine!

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Oh my! What a horrible thing to come home to! :hug: Good thing you kept your cool and got her out.

I would keep her on the Pen G. It always seems to do the trick for me.

Be careful putting in those stitches, I'm sure she isn't going to be happy about it.

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Oh no - she won't like it at all - but I refuse to put her under anesthesia for what I can do in less then 5 minutes. It will be so fast and hubby knows how to hold for me real well. Fun part is going to shaving the area - LOL!

4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    oh man,,that is scary! Poor little Firecracker! Hope she recovers quickly....goodness, bet she won't be doing that anymore!

5. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Firecracker has an excellent mommy to be able to help her the way you have...and will! Let us know how the suturing goes :pray:

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

Liz.......... Is there a time period that you can't suture anymore.......... Just wondering? If it is to late to suture? :?

7. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Poor girl...I'm glad it sounds like she's doing a bit better...hopefully she has a smooth recovery.

8. HollowbeadRanch

HollowbeadRanch New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    NW Alabama
    Oh Allison, I am so sorry! Keep us posted on how she is doing :hug:

9. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I'm sorry that happened! Poor Firecracker! Hope she recovers quickly - she has an awesome caretaker for sure!

10. Amos

Amos New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Minnesota
    Thats horrible! Lucky you got there in time, and shes gonne be ok.

You said two were missing - is the other ok?

11. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Ok - well I stopped and picked up the scalpel blade and the suture material.

I unwrapped the bandage and all the draining is complete which is good, but she doesn't have enough tissue to suture the two sides together. So, I shaved around the wound and granulated the edges so that they have blood flow back to them to speed up the healing. I found one more open wound right where the hair stops going to the hoof. She was such a champ through it all!

She is walking alot better today and the leg is warm - so blood flow is going - which is good.

I saw that a comment was asked about suturing. Typically we like to suture within 24 hours of the injury. But with that you REALLY have to granulate the area and get nice healthy skin. Typically we would cut the edges so you have fresh edges to heal together.

She is still on the Pen G. But question for you - tonight she had a REALLY snotty nose when I got home. Clear snot, but I would pinch the end of her nose and pull slightly away and have a handful of snot...... any ideas on that. She has never had a snotty nose before - actually none of my goats have. Could it be because she was in the house last night? I put her in her kennel - but the kennel is on the porch outside our bedroom door so I can hear her.

Thanks All - I hope she pulls through this!

12. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    This morning she is doing better - walked out of her kennel - tried to go down the stairs and went out and ate grass.

She is doing well.

Should I give her pen twice a day or stay at once a day?

13. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I give it twice a day. 1cc per 10 pounds.

14. nhsmallfarmer

nhsmallfarmer New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    New Hampshire
    sorry to hear about fire, she sounds like she is coming along that is good, you mentions missing 2 does, you only mentioned fire did you find the other doe? I am assumming you did and she was ok?

15. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Oh sorry, yes I found the other one - she was pouting and mad at me for being gone. It was my little Daisie Mae - my pygmy.

Thank you for asking!

16. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    WOW, Allison. It was a good thing you got home when you did. It sounds like if you would of been home much later you would not of been so lucky.

Great job on all that you have done for this girl. :clap: I have to laugh, i have a Daisie Mae that does the same thing. They are not spoiled at all.

Did you have someone watching your animals while you were gone? I am so scared to leave for Thanksgiving. I will be gone a week and I am afraid I will be going totally crazy thinking and worrying about them. I am still trying to find someone that I trust enough to take care of all the goats horses, and dogs. :hair:

17. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Thanks for the input ............I was just wondering............... :)

As severe as the injury is............I also agree you should give penG 2x a day...........

so glad she is doing better.............. :) banamine can help with swelling.......if she is swelling..........

18. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Sweetgoats -

We left on Friday early afternoon and I had someone come over late afternoon on Saturday to check on them and then we were home about 6:30 pm on Sunday. Although I really appriciated my friend checking on everyone - I was a little disheartened to find a completely dry water trough when i got home. Not sure how they drank so much water - but I think that it was because of the weather and I put TONS of hay out for them - like more then they were used to.

I will start the pen twice a day - thank you. Do I still give it 1cc per 10# if I give it twice a day?

There is a very little bit of swelling - should I still give the benamine? I have some in powder form from my horse left over - can I use that?

19. Do you vac. with CD+T?

If this were my goat I would definately give a booster shot, especially with this happening on rebar.

Glad to hear she is doing well :)

20. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    She was vaccinated on 9/28 with her first CD&T (she is 5 months old and was never vaccinated). She is due for her booster on Sunday - so I will go ahead and give it to her now.

Thank you all!