The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Goats, Chicken
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Morning!
I have a 9 week old Nigerian Dwarf doeling that we brought home at 8 weeks. She was not eating grain before she left her mama, but eating hay just fine. She still seems to be following that habit. I see her eat hay and drink water no problem. Her belly is quite firm, round and full all the time, especially on the left. She has good sounds and I hear her actively burp. She acts fine, plays with my other babies, although slightly more reserved. I just don’t want to miss something. Can her firm round belly be from only eating hay? She will NOT take a bottle, vehemently refuses. I just want to make sure I’m doing everything she needs to continue developing her rumen. I’ve seen her eat minerals, but haven’t actively seen her take baking soda....both of which are free fed. Am I overly concerned or missing something?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Good Morning!
I have a 9 week old Nigerian Dwarf doeling that we brought home at 8 weeks. She was not eating grain before she left her mama, but eating hay just fine. She still seems to be following that habit. I see her eat hay and drink water no problem. Her belly is quite firm, round and full all the time, especially on the left. She has good sounds and I hear her actively burp. She acts fine, plays with my other babies, although slightly more reserved. I just don’t want to miss something. Can her firm round belly be from only eating hay? She will NOT take a bottle, vehemently refuses. I just want to make sure I’m doing everything she needs to continue developing her rumen. I’ve seen her eat minerals, but haven’t actively seen her take baking soda....both of which are free fed. Am I overly concerned or missing something? View attachment 207975
I usually I ween my kids at around 8 weeks. If she is not drinking milk, don’t worry. She looks very healthy, and I’m sure she is fine, if she’s acting normal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.