First ADGA & DHIA Testing Today, More Confused Than Ever :/

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by FoxRidge, May 22, 2020.

1. FoxRidge

FoxRidge Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2016
    Minnesota
    So I am hoping to do the most with my goats that I can afford to do and I was told to go through a supervisor with a type 23 standard test. I emailed ADGA about this as well. My brain is literally spinning from all the information which I KNOW would be simplier if I could understand it. I have tried reading the guide line book.........it just makes mince meat of my stupid little ADHD brain and I don't understand what I am reading. No one can seem to give me any clear answers to my questions and always tell me to look at the guide book. CIRCLES!!! That's all I've been doing. Well today my sweet heart supervisor came out to Weigh and take samples from my 4 does in lactation. My hopes are to try to earn stars for my ladies if they make the cut with their milk. This is the email I sent to ADGA performance programs....

"So today we started testing with MN DHIA. This is my first time testing and participating with the performance programs at all. I am very excited but scared too. I have so many questions and everyone is trying to refer me to the guidebook but I still do not understand what I am reading half the time. My brain is literally spinning in my head trying to read all the regulations and understand any of it. So here it is! We are testing my 4 does, 3 are ADGA registered and my best producer isn't I'll list the Dry, bred, freshened dates for each of the does. My concerns are is that I started testing to late in their lactations to achieve any stars or anything this year, maybe I am wrong. I am just so confused. We are doing a standard 23 test and I had a supervisor come out today and watch me milk, she weighed and took samples and entered all our herd information but wasn't very knowledgeable as to how many tests I would need to qualify the girls for star status if they make the cut. She reassured me that she could come out weekly if needed to get a sufficient amount of tests in, but does it work that way?? She said I can have her keep coming out or join a circle test of other goat owners in the area but I haven't really a clue of how many tests I need done, how far apart to be proper and/or am I too late in the lactation for the girls to earn *M if they are capable. Here are the girls Names and Dates of my does we are recording currently:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sugar Moon BL Madeline - Madeline I know is way too far in lactation to record any genetic evaluation but she is still in milk from March 2019.
    ADGA # D1988667
    Date Of Birth: 3/9/2015 - This is her 3rd freshening, she developed a hernia from an injury and so hasn't been rebred.
    Dry Date: Not sure as I had bought her in milk in 2019 and has been in milk for a year.
    Bred Date: 10/20/18
    Freshened Date: 3/14/19

Shere Country TMJ Cavatina
    ADGA # D1988670
    Date Of Birth: 3/18/17 - This is her 2nd Freshening
    Dry Date: 9/15/2019
    Bred Date: 10/24/2019
    Freshened Date: 3/19/2020

Shere Country TMJ Sunflower
    ADGA # D1856903
    Date of Birth: 5/14/2016 - This is her 2nd Freshening
    Dry Date: 9/7/19
    Bred Date: 10/31/19
    Freshened Date: 3/26/20

Lorraine (Grade Nigerian)
    Date of Birth: 2/20/16
    Dry Date: 9/2/2019
    Bred Date: 10/25/2019

My questions are:
    Can will still after today's test, with how far into their lactations they are, could we still earn stars if their milk is up to par?
    How many tests would I need with the standard 23 test we did today where she weighed it and took samples?
    How often should I have her come out and test and weigh to get where we need to be to possibly earn stars or am I too late?"

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Did I make any sense at all in my email? I'm so confused and frustrated that I cannot figure out what I need to do and feel like the next person to tell me to go read the guidebook that is literally bedside nightly now, will be rung by the neck. I don't mind paying a supervisor to come out and weigh and take samples to get where we need to get BUT did we start too late in the lactation to do anything for my girls this year. Madeline is obviously too far in her but Sunflower and Cavatina Freshened in March! Could they still earn stars? If they can how often do I need to test/weigh them to get in what we need to earn potential stars? My supervisor said she can come out weekly to get in the tests we need but does it work that way??? I thought they have to be spaced out. I'm so lost right now. I'm scared I'm paying quite a bit for something that I didn't jump on fast enough to get any results for.

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Unfortunately I have no idea. I hope someone can answer your questions.

Moers kiko boars and FoxRidge like this.

3. Nigerian dwarf goat

Nigerian dwarf goat Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2017
    Texas
    @Goatzrule Shows her goats, so she may do milk testing

4. FoxRidge

Aug 25, 2016
    Minnesota
    I watched a webinar last night that cleared up a quite a bit, this first year will be a bit rocky because I'm new and inexperienced I was suggested the incorrect test type for my herd so I have to get that straightened out. You want to get put on test as early in the lactation as possible but not before 5 days post kidding because the colostrum will ruin the machines LOL. The tests/collections have to be at least 15 days apart to count so not weekly. There are no minimum amount of tests you can do I guess which is still a bit confusing but I'll roll with it for now. Next year we'll start right away after everyone freshens and maintain just a once a month weighing <3

5. Morning Star Farm

Morning Star Farm Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2018
  6. Goatzrule

Goatzrule Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    I am glad you got some clarification. Yes the guide books can be very confusing especially for me since I tend to jump around and I often need to go to a mentor to ask them.

7. FoxRidge

Aug 25, 2016
    Minnesota
    They results from yesterdays single time milking are posted already :D I have not a clue what they mean lol. I am going to be switching to a plan type - ADGA ITP 02 - APCS: Supervisor and owner share responsibility for collecting test day weights alternating the AM and PM weighing each month. Supervisor also collects component samples when weighing. Annual VT (Verification test) required. A minimum individual animal DCR of 93 or higher is required to for top 10 awards. I am not sure how this will affect or if it will affect the weights we did already. Next year will be much smoother for sure!

8. Goatzrule

Goatzrule Well-Known Member

Feb 7, 2013
    New England
    I can try to help if you want to post what you got

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  9. Morning Star Farm

Morning Star Farm Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2018
    That was my favorite testing plan. You'll find it very easy! Good luck!

10. We do owner sampler. But most plans you need a minimum of 8 tests and 240 days to qualify for *M. You aren't too late in the lactation really if you are going to be breeding later. I have does that freshened the first week of March and we're on our 3rd test coming up. I also have does that freshened in November so we only need like 3 more to qualify but I'm going to milk and test until 2 months before freshening to meet the 305 days.

11. That was the plan we were going to use and ended up with Owner Sampler for now. We're rural but I have a tester friend up the road who I test for. She's on the same plan (ITP 02) and it works out great.

12. FoxRidge

Aug 25, 2016
    Minnesota
    So my testing started a bit late in lactation. This was only one milking, 12 hour fill.

Attached Files:

13. FoxRidge

Aug 25, 2016
    Minnesota