The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a Boer give birth to triplets last night and she doesn't have much milk. I have a few other does with kids on them, but I'm not sure they have the extra for one. I've been reading through posts and it seems whole milk is the best option for me. I think I will pull the weakest of the three and sell it as a bottle baby if I can get him switched over and I'm confident he will do well. With this plan would you pull him from mom completely and let her other two have all her milk?

·
Premium Member
4,674 Posts
Had a Boer give birth to triplets last night and she doesn't have much milk. I have a few other does with kids on them, but I'm not sure they have the extra for one. I've been reading through posts and it seems whole milk is the best option for me. I think I will pull the weakest of the three and sell it as a bottle baby if I can get him switched over and I'm confident he will do well. With this plan would you pull him from mom completely and let her other two have all her milk?
Make sure he has colostrum

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
He has been nursing since last night so he's definitely gotten some, but I'm not sure it was a lot. Should I give some colostrom replacer first or start the whole milk?

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
Also don't forget to heat it to 100-101* and put a pinch of baking soda in the first bottle of the day. When switching him if you can go half and half for a day, then 1/4-3/4 then, complete switch ...I found that worked really well to getting them to take the bottle quickly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts