The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow do I need practice.
I won't embarrass my goat by taking her picture and putting it up here in public but she doesn't look great. Miss Bows was pretty shaggy and I'm sure she'll look better when I get to do a touch up.

Anyone else felt bad about their first time clipping their show goat?
I'm just glad I didn't wait til we had a show. heh.
:laugh:

·
Well, my username says it all... :)
2,751 Posts
Oh, com on. Can't be that bad. Here is my first time, I didn't shave her face and she looked weird!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Mine is worse. Way worse. The clippers over heated. I still have the belly, the legs and the head. And I wasn't careful about getting all the spots (I figured I could go over it again). She looks like a 3 year old took clippers to her. :p

Oh, and she is part Togg, her hairs were 4 inches long in spots. yes, I found a spot that has about 5 hairs that are 4 inches long sticking out still. Anyone sees her and they'll think she was mistreated or has a medical issue.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Ozark Genetics has them cheap... Under 200 last I saw. I got mine for 165 plus shipping. I want a new head piece for big goats... Anything bigger than a 90lb wether is too tall. Some of the wethers are pushing it

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Oh, com on. Can't be that bad. Here is my first time, I didn't shave her face and she looked weird!
The only spots that I see that don't look great is the under belly, back of the rear leg, a tuft in the front rear leg, and possibly below the hocks. Other than those spots you did really good.

·
2,751 Posts
Thank you Little Bits, I noticed all of those too. She was getting real jumpy since it took me about an hour or so ....

·
2,751 Posts
Are you talking to me? If so, yes, she got grain the whole time, but she got very disinterested in her food (amazing, I know) because it tickled I guess.

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
Are you talking to me? If so, yes, she got grain the whole time, but she got very disinterested in her food (amazing, I know) because it tickled I guess.
WHAT?!?!? A goat NOT interested in grain :eek:, that's unheard of at my house :p

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Food was the ONLY reason my girl was sticking around. She wasn't too bad, she needed to lean on someone so it was good that I had help.

The main malfunction was me. heh.
I manage to use clippers to cut the husbands and my own hair without making us look like we have mange....not so much for the goat.

practice practice practice

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
birch ridge farm in vermont has a great portable stand. they have a website. also get some clippercool from tsc or agway. you should see some of our first clip jobs.

·
100 Posts
Mine is worse. Way worse. The clippers over heated. I still have the belly, the legs and the head. And I wasn't careful about getting all the spots (I figured I could go over it again). She looks like a 3 year old took clippers to her. :p

Oh, and she is part Togg, her hairs were 4 inches long in spots. yes, I found a spot that has about 5 hairs that are 4 inches long sticking out still. Anyone sees her and they'll think she was mistreated or has a medical issue.
I have a pair of Premier clippers that I love because they are so much lighter than the others I have. My grandgirls can use them and they don't get tired of holding them, but the head gets hot. I found that I could cool them off by placing the head on one of those refreezable ice packs for about five minutes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts