First Ewe Sheep

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Green Mountain Farm, Dec 28, 2020.

1. Green Mountain Farm

Green Mountain Farm Well-Known Member

Dec 31, 2019
    Virginia
    I just got my first sheep. She is a cross between a hair sheep and a wool sheep and could possibly be bred to a wool ram. She was born in March.
    Any advice for a first timer?
    I’m working on taming her and am slowly making progress.
    Do you need to brush sheep? She gets so dirty and has a tail so it gets clumped up with poop. I might have the vet remove it.
    I bought her as a companion for my goat until she kids since I had to sell my wether due to behavioral problems. I put her in the field but then had to catch her and put her in the stall so that I could tame her first. It took 4 people and 45 minutes to catch her. The field isn’t even that big. So the plan is to keep her in the stall until she is a bit tamer and then put her with my doe, Ila.

MadHouse likes this.
  2. Green Mountain Farm

Dec 31, 2019
    Virginia
    20DFF9AD-09B7-47AB-94FF-08E9EA2227C5.jpeg She is the cutest thing! Any name suggestions?

MadHouse likes this.

3. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Brushing a sheep is futile. If you want the tail off you can just put a tight elastic on it. Band it.
    Taming her could take a while. It could be that she is head strong.
    She is beautiful though.
    I was thinking of Lamby-May? Or Bo Peep

MadHouse likes this.
  4. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

You wouldn't brush her. You'd clean the fleece after shearing. Definitely talk to your vet about the tail docking. Especially since she is older.

5. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

She is supposed to be crutched. Cut the wool away from the udder and in a line up to the tail.

toth boer goats and MadHouse like this.
  6. Green Mountain Farm

Dec 31, 2019
    Virginia
    I looked it up and I found that banding her now would be dangerous because she is so old.
    She ate out of my hand for the first time yesterday and walked toward me to get food today!

Tanya and MadHouse like this.
  7. Green Mountain Farm

Dec 31, 2019
    Virginia
    My vet said they have never done that. ):
    Could I just sheer the tail?

MadHouse likes this.
  8. Green Mountain Farm

Dec 31, 2019
    Virginia
    Can I sheer her tail? Will she get frostbite?

MadHouse likes this.
  9. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

Sorry to butt in with no advice, but I had NO idea sheep had long tails!!!

Green Mountain Farm and MadHouse like this.
  10. Green Mountain Farm

Dec 31, 2019
    Virginia
    It is an odd thing, isn't it? Haha!

MadHouse and MellonFriend like this.
  11. yankeedoodle

yankeedoodle Active Member

Apr 12, 2018
    Fraser Valley,B.C.
    Yes, you can shear the tail. It might be a bit challenging, but from what I've read about you, you like that!:heehee:

As far as taming her, keep being nice. sheep are very watchful, esp. if they are not super familiar with their surroundings. Try not to make abrupt moves or move to quickly when your with her.
    She will soon recognize your voice, so talk to her and make friends. bring her a treat. does she go for grain? if you make a particular sound, like a whistle or call her name or something every time you come to give her a treat, eventually she will come to you every time you make the sound. Also, sheep are followers. often, you will have more luck leading them than herding them.(although you might need a motivating factor, like grain)

I once had 4 wild, out of control sheep that someone gave me and after a few weeks of going every day and giving them a bit of grain, first setting it down in their pen, then eventually feeding it straight from my hand, and giving a little whistle as I approached them, they would follow me every where! I could whistle from the other side of the farm and they would all come runnin'! It was great. Sheep are awesome.
    Its interesting that your vet won't dock her. Maybe you can find another sheep person around that will do it. Sometimes ppl who dock horses will do the odd sheep.Know any farriers?
    I would do it for you, but, I'm to far away! LOL

MadHouse likes this.
  12. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

A vet then would be needed then. I am so glad she is taking to you. Talk to her too so she knows your voice. Sheep are vocal in their herds. They talk to each other all the time. Also remember that she is alone now so she will most likely take to you faster.

MadHouse and Green Mountain Farm like this.
  13. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

... 20200518_135037.jpg

14. Green Mountain Farm

Dec 31, 2019
    Virginia
    I do like a challenge. Haha!
    I have been using a lead and grain and she ate out of my hand and came to me for grain yesterday so that’s good!
    The whistling is a good idea, I’ll try that!
    I can probably find a farrier... I’ll look into that. Thanks for the offer but yeah... might be a bit far. ;)

MadHouse likes this.
  15. Green Mountain Farm

Dec 31, 2019
    Virginia
    Yes I’ve been talking to her a lot. :)

MadHouse and Tanya like this.
  16. Green Mountain Farm

Dec 31, 2019
    Virginia
    MadHouse likes this.
  17. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

@Green Mountain Farm you will see. She will act pretty much like your goat does. Just remember sheep WILL eat everything!

Green Mountain Farm and MadHouse like this.