The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hazel gave birth to Triplets yesterday . This is not her first time ,yet its a first for us with her . She seems very disinterested in them . We had to hold her still and hold each baby up to nurse . A little better today , yet I cannot help but feel something is not right ??? Also she has stepped on them and I just found her laying on one .... any help or suggestions would be most helpful as we have 15 more pregnant girls .

·
Super Moderator
58,935 Posts
Do you know what kind of mom she was to her last kids? She may be in pain so you could give her a shot of Banamine.

·
1,524 Posts
I would check with the previous owners to see if this is how she is with her kids. Some does are horrible mothers. That may be why they sold.

You may have to pull the kids and bottle feed them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The previous owner was not very helpful . The goats belonged to her late husband . They were too much for her . We bought the entire herd as we didn't want to split the girls up . Grandmothers , mothers and daughters . We have spent the last year trying to get everybody healthy . I have brought atlas the male in and am trying to bottle feed . He is so weak . I will look into the injection for Hazel . She is eating and drinking has gone out of the birthing barn and comes back . It's just so frustrating and I guess I had different expectations .....it breaks my heart .

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Hazel gave birth to Triplets yesterday . This is not her first time ,yet its a first for us with her . She seems very disinterested in them . We had to hold her still and hold each baby up to nurse . A little better today , yet I cannot help but feel something is not right ??? Also she has stepped on them and I just found her laying on one .... any help or suggestions would be most helpful as we have 15 more pregnant girls .
Having to hold a mother to let her newborn kids nurse is NOT a good sign for an experienced doe. I would go with your instincts. Colostrum is critical and it has to be given early, as the ability to absorb the antibodies diminishes with each passing hour. After about 24 hours they can no longer absorb the antibodies. Have you checked their tummies? Stand the kid up and stand over him/her facing the same direction. Place 2 fingers of each hand on the tummy in front of the hip bones. You want to feel firm tummies, not hard or squishy. If they don't feel firm chances are good the kids are not getting enough to eat. If I were you, I would watch them closely for maybe another day and then make the decision whether to pull and bottle depending on what you observe and you're willingness/ability to bottle feed. Either way, I would ship that doe ASAP. I know you're nervous at this point, but try to stay positive with regard to the other 15. Just because this doe is uncooperative does not necessarily mean the rest will not be good mothers.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you so much for the advice and the positive thoughts for our other girls . The babies each got a shot of bo-se , nutri drench and I gave colostrum to the male as he is the smallest and weakest . I thought things were going better this afternoon as all were up and moving about . I noticed the two females nursing . So I made the decision to bring the male in . He is not taking to the bottle and he is very lethargic . I will keep trying . Hazel will be the first to go . My husband and I agreed early on that we would not keep any doe that could not mother .

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Lethargy is usually a sign of not enough food to produce the energy needed to actively nurse. You might want to consider tubing the little buck with a mixture of 30 cc's of 50% Dextrose and 30 cc's of warm water. The dextrose is a simple sugar that is very easily digested (brain food), and can get a lethargic/cold kid up and going within about 15 minutes. It has saved many of my kids during winter kidding, and it just might do the trick for getting your little buck up and sucking. If you don't have a weak kid syringe, try a drenching gun or a turkey baster. Put one hand on the kids throat so you can feel him swallow. Given the fact that you have 15 more girls to go, I would suggest you invest in a couple of weak kid syringes. They are cheap and can be ordered from Jeffers, Caprine Supply, Hoegger Supply, and probably Valley Vet. To tube a kid, lay the part of the tube that connects to the syringe next to the kids mouth. Lay the rest of the tube along the kids side. Mark off the tube behind the ribs with your thumb and forefinger. Starting at the corner of the kids mouth, feed the tube slowly and gently down the kids throat. When your thumb and forefinger meet up with his mouth you know you're in the right spot, connect to syringe and depress plunger on syringe. If your thumb and forefinger don't meet and you can't feed any more tube, you are in the lungs. Withdraw the tube and start over again.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you so much . Unfortunately Atlas didn't make it through the night . I will however purchase the necessary items to have on hand in case of need . I am pleased to say mama is doing right by the other two and they are doing well .

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I want to say Thank you to all who offered advice and condolences for the loss of our lil babies . On a brighter note Mama Hazel is taking very good care of Curly Sue . Is it possible that Triplets were just too much for her ? I bottle fed curly sue yesterday then brought her back to mama and so far so good .....still so much to learn :)

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
Yes, it is possible. I have a doe that always has twins and has never rejected her kids in the 5 years I've had her. She delivered triplets this past March, and promptly rejected the biggest doeling. Apparently she can count. :confused: :laugh:

·
Registered
230 Posts
It is not uncommon for certain does to reject a kid. We have one that ALWAYS rejects at least one...usually odd one out (to some degree we say she is racist lol). For triplets she had 2 does and 1 boy (boy was different color) she rejected the boy. Next set was QUADS three chamoisees and one solid white one...she rejected the white one. Fortunately this last batch she only had twins and one had to be bottle fed right off the bat as he was a failure to thrive (doing great now though) she was fine with the one she was left with.

Just keep an eye on her in the future, it doesn't mean she isn't a great mom.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you goat crazy ...that gave me quite a chuckle ...goats that can count :). Just goats so sorry to hear of your loss . Kaski Ranch , I appreciate the info . We ended up losing Mina as well .... strange both Atlas and Mina were solid white , Curly Sue has the traditional Boar markings .Hazel has proven to be a good mother to her so far ....I am a bit concerned about putting them back in with the other girls . We have kept mama.and baby in the birthing barn since Saturday ....is there a time limit ???

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
No, there is no time limit. I would caution you to remember that when she is separated from the herd for more than a few days, when you put her back with the herd there will be fighting and re-establishing of the hierarchy. If you have a large herd, that can cause problems for the kids since Mom is busy fighting the rest of the herd. Be prepared for that possibility.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I think we will try today ... Hazel is the queen .We have 18 other girls , 30 acres, 20 are fenced in and they are section off . So we have room if issues arise . This being our first experience is nerve racking ...lol . The other girls look like they are getting ready to birth any day ...

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
The first kidding is always the worst, especially if there are problems. I hope it's smooth sailing for you from here on out! :) You know, another option is to put the girls that have kidded in a separate pen if you have one. That way their are fewer issues with herd hierarchy, you can feed the nursing girls a higher level of nutrition without having to worry about the pregnant girls getting too much, and it's easier to check on the girls still to kid. Just a suggestion.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
On a positive note mama Hazel and Curly sue are doing great . Mama Sugar (my favorite girlie ) ...shhh ...don't tell the others gave birth to twin boys last night .Zeus and Thor . They were been during a sever electrical storm . Pleased to say she is a fantastic Mama . She thanked me for my assistance by licking my face clean as she cleaned her babies :)

·
snrsfarm
86 Posts
On a positive note mama Hazel and Curly sue are doing great . Mama Sugar (my favorite girlie ) ...shhh ...don't tell the others gave birth to twin boys last night .Zeus and Thor . They were been during a sever electrical storm . Pleased to say she is a fantastic Mama . She thanked me for my assistance by licking my face clean as she cleaned her babies :)
Glad to hear Curly is doing ok. Congrats on the two boys!!!!:baby::baby: Love the names!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts