First experience with milking

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by Nubiansrus1, Mar 22, 2010.

1. Nubiansrus1

Nubiansrus1 New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Long story as short as I can make it. I have a doe with three kids, and shes not feeding one of the kids as well as she should. So I decided to bottle feed the smallest kid part of the time. Cant milk mom shes super unfriendly. So thought id try out the new milking stand we got about a week ago and throw a few of my better uddered does on the stand and see if I could get milk for the third kid. Only tried does with one kid to make sure I wasnt making another kid go hungry. Anyways... put a la mancha doe up there, first time ever Ive had her since she was a doeling, and she was ok... not bad for her first time ever on a stand. The second doe I tried was an older nubian... thought shed be the one to be good... nope she freaked and kicked us... so I thought id try one more, an older la mancha. I walked her over by the stand... put her up there, and she stuck her own head in the stand!! I was so happy!!! I continued onto milk some milk from her no problem while she ate... I was sooo excited some knew what was going on lol. I had to share Im so excited and the family dont get it LOL

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    well I am glad things did work out with one of the does. :)

as for your kicker -- dont let her continue that behavior or you will never get her to be good on the milking stand. the more you work with her gently but firmly she will learn that such behavior is not allowed

3. zoomom

zoomom New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    So what is the best way to get them used to the stand? I have two 4 yo does who have kidded before, but i don't think they were milked. I can ask the breeder. And i have one doe who has never kidded. I don't have my stand built (yet) but it should be done in the next week or so. At least two of the does were bred this week, the other probably was or will be soon. (she was acting like she was coming into heat but i didn't catch her being bred yet, he's a fast breeder :) Anyway i have a few months to get them used to things. Do i just put them up there every day with food and brush them, handle their feet, their udder, etc? That's basically what i did to get the dog used to the grooming table (although every now and then she forgets and flings herself off while still attached to the lead, the dope)

4. CrossCreekTX

CrossCreekTX New Member

Aug 10, 2009
    Central East Texas
    LaManchas are nearly always very easy to train. Even my Nubian was so good you wouldn't know it was her first time. I leave the milk stand accessible to the does and keep mineral in it. Sometimes there is some grain (not much) in there too.

Just keep working with them. Don't let them get away with anything. Every time one kicks, punch her in the udder like a kid would do. That frequently gets them to let down and not fuss so.

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    :thumbup: EXACTLY!