The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got home today from work and found my little pygmy doe that Ive been watching for about two weeks on the ground what looked like to be finally having her first baby she was over due but I thought maybe I had wrote it down wrong but came to find out from the vet that I hadn't any way when the others came looking for some treats so did she and one leg that was turned side ways she protruding out from her luck ally I only live about 5mls from the vets office so off we went I thought the baby was probably all ready dead since I wasn't here to act fast I got to the vet and he examined her and said it was turned wrong and too big to deliver by the way she was breed to a small Nigerian about the same size as the doe any way he performed a c-section and she had a little buck the girls in the office named bob after the vet he drank a little milk at the vets but not much so he told me to get some more in him at home but my problem is she does not want to have any thing to do with her baby. I have gotten him to suck two more times by holding her hind legs up how often do i need to do this and will she ever bond with her baby by the way i tried milking her but her teats are to small thanks for your help

·
Registered
121 Posts
I would go ahead and milk as much out of mom out and bottle feed it to the kid so he'll get colostrum and then I would bottle feed him until you see if she has completely rejected him. If she does then you'll be raising a bottle baby. Do you have experience with that?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I just went and let him have another drink I don't think shes she rejecting him I think shes just in a lot of pain and don't want to stand when he tries to get milk hes butting her in her staples how often should I go get her up and let him have a drink Ive been going about every hour

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
Well first of all you shouldn't be getting her up and making him nurse. She is probably in a lot of pain right now and forcing her to get up does not do anything. She needs to get up on her own. Her legs are probably pretty sore too. When she is up, milk out as much as you can, I would keep the baby with her for moral support even if you are bottle feeding it. When she does get up, you can put the baby back there to nurse still. Make sure the baby's belly stays full. Did your vet give her oxytocin? Has she passed the afterbirth? Do you have her on banamine? Penicillin or another antibiotic? I would also give her some vitamin C, a B shot, and some Nutri Drench. Have you offered her warm molasses water? Does she have free access to good hay? Grain intake at this point(because of the C section) should be kept at a minimum, but she can have a little.

·
Premium Member
23,224 Posts
I would definately not force her to get up because she is hurting. If she is anything like my pygmies at birth, her udder is so full that the teats point outward...if she is like this and you can access a teat then push the little guy to the one thats exposed, no need for her to get up. If she isn't very full then wait for her to get up or even get some out of her while she is down and bottle it for the kid, but don't take him from her as it seems she is bonding but is just in pain. I would go by your vets advice and I also would give her nutri drench as well as the penicillian...Nutri Drench would be 2-3 pumps and give the kid 1 pump as well...penicillian would be 2 1/2 cc 1x day for 5 days...I give it in the thick part of the hip or the back of the hind leg but alternate spots where you stick her. Absolutely make sure she is drinking, preferably warm mollasses water and all the hay and minerals she wants, light on the grain. I do hope she is feeling better soon and "BOB" thrives for you.

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
I also say don't get her up. A c-section is a major surgery for a goat. When she is standing up on her own milk as much as you possibly can from her so you can bottle feed the kid. Do you have a bottle and nipple? If she were my doe I would give her Arnica, vit C, vit B, nutri Drench & Penicillin. Keep her comfy, in a clean stall too. Make sure she is drinking and if needed you can syringe her some Pedialite or Koolaid. Leave her kid with her as pulling him would cause her to be more stressed out. If you have some lavender essential oil you can put a few drops in the bedding to help calm her, smells nice for us people too.

You can pull her through, I am glad 'Bob" is doing well.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks ,yall for bringing me back to my sences in my panic I conpleatly forgot about my does condition and was focuing on only the kid its morning now needless to say I haven slept I gave her nuttri-drench probis and have been saringeing molasess water in her every few hours she still hasnt ate any hay so I cut a pine limb and hung it up it the stable when I went back a few minets ago she was up eating pine neddles and bob was drinking milk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts