The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all!

My first freshener Mini mancha gave birth to a single kid Friday evening. The kid was dead ( fully formed, must have passed away while in birth canal?) and since then I've given mama as much care as I know how. I've only been raising goats for almost 3 years, so I know there's a lot I still need to learn, but this part with mama not having a kid is a new learning curve for me.

* How often do I need to milk the mama to keep her milk production going? Yesterday I did it 3 times, and recieved 5 1/2 cups of colostrum. This morning, she only gave me two cups of milk.( In times past, I haven't started milking the moms til 2 weeks with the kids seperated at night.)

* What else can I give her to keep her in optimal health? She still seems to be grieving for her baby, and isn't devouring her food like a 'normal' always starving goat lol.

*Also, is ivermectin "safe" for use in milk goats? I know technically its not for goats at all, but the last time I used it, none of my goats were in milk. I try to only stick to herbal wormers and such, but wanted to give mama goat this just in case she has an overload of worms- since one normally worms after birth.

I apologize for all the questions. Just anxious to do all I can, and somehow make her into a productive milk goat. I know she's a first freshener so more milk will come with more kiddings, just want to do what I can now to help. *Also- the night she lost her kid, I was in contact with a vet to be sure she didn't have any more kids inside her* Thanks for all your help!

·
Super Moderator
58,910 Posts
Was the kid premature? There is a good chance the milk won't fully come in if the kid was premature. If you have a single kid or the kids don't make it, you start milking immediately twice a day if you want milk. Ivomec is fine to give.

·
Super Moderator
83,152 Posts
So sad, but yes, the kid may of died because the doe may of had a difficult birthing and it wasn’t born in time, May of suffocated.
When a kid is in a beach position, the lifeline(umbilical cord) will break, cutting off air.

What did the kid look like?
Did it look decomposed or like it may of just died?

If the kid was decomposing, you may want to start antibiotics.

Has she dropped her afterbirth?

I agree 2 x a day milking is good enough.

She will need a good grain and alfalfa hay to help with her milk production.
Make sure she is drinking water.

You can give her fortified vit b complex SQ, 6 cc’s per 100lbs and probiotics for a while.

If you think she is in pain you can give banamine, it will help with appetite as well.

Giving Ivomec is OK if you are not going to drink it until it is safe again after withdrawal period. But if she needs worming, I would do it.

Get a temp on her in case.

Do know, first timers will have a bit less milk capacity the first time. But the next will be even better.

Never feel bad about asking Questions, we all have to learn and believe it or not, I am still learning. ;)

By the way, welcome. :)

14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Was the kid premature? There is a good chance the milk won't fully come in if the kid was premature. If you have a single kid or the kids don't make it, you start milking immediately twice a day if you want milk. Ivomec is fine to give.
No, the kid wasn't premature. Mama delivered at 152 days. Okay, thanks! I'll go to 2x a milking.

14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So sad, but yes, the kid may of died because the doe may of had a difficult birthing and it wasn't born in time, May of suffocated.
When a kid is in a beach position, the lifeline(umbilical cord) will break, cutting off air.

You can give her fortified vit b complex SQ, 6 cc's per 100lbs and probiotics for a while.

If you think she is in pain you can give banamine, it will help with appetite as well.

Giving Ivomec is OK if you are not going to drink it until it is safe again after withdrawal period. But if she needs worming, I would do it.

Do know, first timers will have a bit less milk capacity the first time. But the next will be even better.

Never feel bad about asking Questions, we all have to learn and believe it or not, I am still learning. ;)

Thanks so much! The kid came out perfectly, in the diving position. So it wasn't breech.... As far as labor time, she delivered within 30 minutes or so of pushing. I'm not exactly sure what happened- but it definitely suffocated. :( The kid wasn't decomposing, looked perfect.

As far as afterbirth, I haven't seen the "balloon" placenta. Its entirely possible she ate it that night, but I did a thorough inspection of her bedding and havent found it. She does still have the stringy discharge.

She devours probios, so will give her more. And I'll get her temp here soon! I was also thinking of giving her a molasses drench or the nutri drench.

As far as grain goes she wouldn't touch it this morning. :/

14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So sad, but yes, the kid may of died because the doe may of had a difficult birthing and it wasn't born in time, May of suffocated.

You can give her fortified vit b complex SQ, 6 cc's per 100lbs and probiotics for a while.

Oops forgot to also say, I'll give vit B shots too. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
83,152 Posts
Glad she had a good delivery, it is so sad she lost her babies.

Yeah, do those things we mentioned, may make her feel better.

Not seeing her afterbirth is always concerning.
Keep an eye on her for the next 2 weeks or so.
After that, if she doesn’t get ill with fever, she will be OK.

Drenching is the only way to force it on them, be sure to do it slowly and at the back corner of her mouth.
If she coughs stop until she stops coughing then proceed. We don’t want it in her lungs.

14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Glad she had a good delivery, it is so sad she lost her babies.

Yeah, do those things we mentioned, may make her feel better.

Not seeing her afterbirth is always concerning.
Keep an eye on her for the next 2 weeks or so.
After that, if she doesn't get ill with fever, she will be OK.

Drenching is the only way to force it on them, be sure to do it slowly and at the back corner of her mouth.
If she coughs stop until she stops coughing then proceed. We don't want it in her lungs.
Her temp is 101.4....considering the weather, would you agree that that is a good temp? I know a normal temp is 101.5-103.5. So shes only a .1 off.

I gave her vit B too.

Is it just my goats or can they be quite picky about which water bucket they use? I gave her warm molasses water the night she gave birth, and she won't touch that bucket since. She has to have a specific one lol. Maybe she associates it with her lost kid?

Thanks again for everything!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts