first freshener questions

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by 4hmama, Jan 11, 2009.

1. 4hmama

4hmama New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    No. Central WV
    Two questions...I see lots of pics on here regarding "pooch tests". I know what to look at, but what are you looking for?
    The other question - what is the timeline of udder development on a first freshener? Will they be completely full before they kid? (I know there are exceptions to every rule, but generally speaking...) Any info would be greatly appreciated!! Thanks for making a newbie feel welcome. :love:

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    The udders come in pretty nice and full when they are going to deliver, usually not quite as full as a seasoned girl - but still full.

On the pooch test, we look at the elogation of the vulva, the rectum being flush with the vulva instead on pushed in and a bit of swelling of both areas.

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Allison said it all! And you are so right wwith the "exceptions"...lol. I had a very young accidental FF that had just a handful of an udder, but it was still enough for her to feed her single doeling. FF will fill an udder but capacity becomes greater with each freshening after.

4. capriola-nd

capriola-nd New Member

Jul 6, 2008
    Northwest Oregon
    I've noticed that our FF tend to start filling around 3 months along and our older does start filling about a month before kidding. Although Lyla and Claribelle are being those "exceptions." :roll:

5. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    the start to bag around a month ( at least w my ff does) and the old timers about 2-3 weeks before

6. Di

Di Crazy Goat Lady

Jan 29, 2008
    central PA
    Sorry for sounding like a broken record...but I send all newbies to http://www.fiascofarm.com first. That has got to be the best resource for goat info. Be sure to look at the birthing videos. So interesting and informative. Then come back here and ask questions. You will understand more of the "answers" these ladies give when you've seen that website.

Per your questions, not good at pooch tests, but, my FF mostly bagged up around a month before kidding. One doe didn't bag up much at all and had a stillborn kid. :? But, the others did well. The udder really got tight just before the birth. :wave:

7. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    My FF usually start to develop udders much before the older girls do, usually 2-3 months beforehand. As far as if their udders get full before kidding, I've seen it go both ways. Some get huge like seasoned does, others barely come in with any milk. It depends upon the doe.