First Freshener Teat Problem...

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by GoatFun4Us6, May 30, 2015.

1. GoatFun4Us6

GoatFun4Us6 New Member

Nov 17, 2014
    I had a doe (a very healthy & large Alpine) kid twins on Thursday morning. Her right side teat was not letting down her milk right and the udder was lopsided. We did warm compresses, massages with peppermint oil, tried to milk her, and some research.

We found this can be attributed to a blocked duct and felt around. We did feel a stone like thing and proceeded to get a very small crotchet hook (sterilized) into the teat. I was able to get some little stone things out and a decent stream of milk last night. Now her teat is swollen, and it barely releases anything.

I am beside myself trying to help her. I am afraid with it being swollen, it now is mastitis. I have an antibiotic, but not sure if I should go ahead and administer it (she did not like me trying to milk her this morning and seemed in pain when I tried on the swollen side).

The babies are feeding from the not swollen side, but I don't feel they are feeding very well (they drink for a little bit, then try the swollen side, and go back to the other one). I am supplementing them with another doe's milk who kidded a few weeks ago.

I would love any feedback. This hurting doe has an udder that was twice the size of her more petite herd mate who gives about 6 cups a day, and this was before she kidded.

Thank you for reading.

Last edited: May 30, 2015
  2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California