The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My two first fresheners are in the home stretch, with 2-4 weeks to go (each doe was penned with their respective boyfriend for a month). Both are NGDs with good milk production in their backgrounds, and both seem to be handling things well.

Abby has that cute little first-timer udder - so adorable. Lily's udder is much more substantial for a first timer, so I'm looking forward to seeing how things go!

I've got the birth pens at the ready, and my supplies gathered. A huge thank you to all of you that put together waiting threads and supply lists, it's really helpful - my girls are not the only first-timers in this equation!

Lily is highly suspicious of anything I try to do behind her, so I'm surprised I was able to get pictures at all. She's the smaller of the two does and I am a bit worried because of her size. Abby is the buckskin that's as wide as she is tall.

So exciting!

Eye Liver Terrestrial animal Dog breed Snout
Eye Liver Terrestrial animal Dog breed Snout
Head Eye Liver Fawn Terrestrial animal
Goat Plant Working animal Liver Fawn
Terrestrial animal Mesh Snout Fence Livestock
Dog breed Terrestrial animal Goat-antelope Goat Tail
Dog Dog breed Vertebrate Carnivore Mammal

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all for your well-wishes! It has been quite the day. We moved both girls into the birthing pens this morning. I figured we are around two weeks out so that would give them time to get used to things.

I. Was. So. Wrong.

It started as a normal Sunday morning, went for a run, did the chores, went to Sunday School and church. No signs to indicate anything out of the ordinary. When my husband and I came home we heard what sounded like a very loud kitten crying. My heart dropped and we ran over to the birth pens and Lily had surprised us. From the time we went to church till the time we came home, she labored and gave birth to a handsome little guy who looks just like his daddy. He was cleaned off but still wet, so we couldn't have missed his arrival by much.

At least she got to the birth pen in time.

She is still leaking goo. However it has been at least four hours, at most six and a half, since the little guy was born. She is not acting laborish in the slightest, is up and around. I did see her deliver the placenta. Little one has had numerous sucks and seems just fine. Should I assume she is finished?

Goat Grass Terrestrial animal Snout Dog breed
Mammal Terrestrial animal Goat Snout Goat-antelope
Dog Dog breed Dog supply Carnivore Fence

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did you dip.his umbilical cord & hooves in providine/ iodine? Did you.give Mom molasses in warm water? Those are standard requirements for.new kids & moms..lol
He is Adorable💝
Yep - she appreciated the molasses water. I dipped his cord twice because Lily seemed pretty interested in licking off the iodine the first time. o_O

1 - 15 of 15 Posts