First Fresheners

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by lesserweevil, Oct 8, 2007.

1. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    If anyone has a first freshening full-size dairy goat... can you tell me what her milk yield is?

Whissy's was 7 pints at her peak and is down to 4.5 pints a day now. She kidded 1 May.

2. nina.doria

nina.doria New Member

Oct 7, 2007
    I can tell you in about 4 months :D Sorry, no idea. Sounds like she's giving you a bunch though!!

3. fritzie

fritzie New Member

Oct 6, 2007
    TENN
    it is hard to say. i had a first freashner this year that gave me about a gal a day. she is a 2 year old. i have another one that is the same age ff that gave me a gal & a half. i have a yearling ff that gave me about 3/4 of a gal. it depends alot on the doe & how her udder developes. the one that gave me a gal aday her grandmother gave me 4 to 5 lbs a day as a yearling ff & gave me 13 lbs a day as a two year old.

4. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    how many pints in a gallon? :p oh and Imperial Pints are bigger than US pints...

Whissy's mother gave me 12 - 13 pints a day on her 2nd freshening and was about the same as Whissy on her first freshening.

5. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    In a US gallon 8 lbs(lb is a pint) to a gallon.
    I have only milked 2 first fresheners, one was a LaMancha and she peaked 8.5 lbs, and my other one, a Saanen(both her granddams were Top Ten does) is milking about 8 lbs as a first freshener. I really wish these heavier milking first timers would get bigger teats though. :roll:

6. myfavgoats

myfavgoats New Member

Oct 8, 2007
    Whoa. Please correct me this.. Are u saying that 8 lbs is 2 gallons a day??? That is a lot! Well I had two FF. One of them gave 6 lbs a day.. The other one gave about 3/4 a gallon a day.. But one who gave 6 lbs and she is 3 years old now.. The other one is 1 year old. So it is on depends..

7. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    No, 8lbs is one gallon a day. 16 lbs is 2 gallons.

8. Droopymole

Droopymole New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    In my hole...
    Little help here...I have a ff doe (I have no IDEA how old she is....) and I milked her for the first time this morning, and she only gave me about a tablespoon! It almost wasn't worth milking her....of course, there was a lot of struggling going on, as she DID NOT want to stand still, and she didn't appreciate my cold hands touching her udder....but only a TABLESPOON? Is that normal? And yes I agree with Goathappy, I wish these ffs would have bigger teats....argh....

9. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Is she nursing? If she is, I've found that if they are nursing and aren't used to being milked that they will actually hold milk back.

10. Droopymole

Droopymole New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    In my hole...
    yeah, she's nursing....the baby is two weeks today...how much longer will she nurse?

11. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Remember does are not in peek production until about 6-8 weeks after freshioning.

Your doe is nursing her kid, not use to being milked and was upset when being milked so those all play a factor in how much milk you will get from her.

I say keep at it eventually she will be producing enough and you working with her to stimulate more milk production will be good.

Do you have a milking stand? that really helps.

12. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Also how much you are feeding her is going to play a role in how much milk she's going to be giving you. How much are you feeding her? Also, what breed is she? I've found that when they nurse their kids, they take most if not all the milk. My herdqueen can fill the bucket each milking when she's not nursing kids, but when she's nursing, she barely fills the bottom. Lil' pigs :roll:

13. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yup that is why I would separate the kids during the night once they reached 4 weeks so I could actually get some milk!

14. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    Yeah, we could do that too, except her kids fly, really I mean they fly right out of their pen. Sooooooo.....

15. lesserweevil

lesserweevil New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    make the pen sides taller :wink:

16. Droopymole

Droopymole New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    In my hole...
    She's a Nubian.

No I don't have a milking stand, but I should probably build one....she's good about standing still, I just tie her to a post, and she sits there and east her grain while I'm milking, she just kicks a little...but she is giving next to NO milk, yet the baby is eating...weird...lol

17. FarmGirl18

FarmGirl18 New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I have found with my ff that it takes several days of milking for them to get the swing of things and let all their milk down. Also like Stacey said it takes a while for them to get to their peak production. But definately lock the kids up at night or they won't leave any for you. And also a milking stand makes everything much easier.

18. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh feed them on teh milking stand! Very important especially for FF

19. Droopymole

Droopymole New Member

Oct 4, 2007
    In my hole...
    lol Thanks Stacey, that I knew, my goats are crazy about grain...it's weird....lol ll I have to do is SMELL like grain and they are jumping on me looking in my pockets and stuff, it's awesome. I should get a stand built probably though....hmmm....

20. goathappy

goathappy New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Illinois
    LW, for how old these kids are now, it's not worth making the pen taller for them. Their mom is bred anyway and we don't need the milk so they'll let go one of these days :wink: