The Goat Spot Forum banner

First Goat is a buck! Help!

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Used2bmimi 
#1 ·
I have put payments down on a couple of purebred Nigerian Dwarf wethers from a very reputable breeder. They are both babies so waiting on the word when they will be ready.

In the meantime, had a fun crawfish boil with a lot of beer and promised a friend we would take his registered ND buck (fully intact and with a set of horns) and give it a home. The buck was living in a pen with no other goats.

We have a pasture for him, and a pen. Both built with goats in mind so I am not worried about the enclosure.

I know that he needs to be kept separate from any girls which I don't have and I am guessing he's too rough for the staying with my baby wethers until they get bigger. Next door to our pasture is a herd of a bunch of boers. I know he needs companionship.

At this point, I am not sure what I am going to do with him other than give him a good home. I don't know whether I want to step off into the world of breeding or not, or whether I should just have him castrated for petting sake. So, my question is...

What are your suggestions for right now? Should I get another full grown male (wether) to keep him company? I don't want to bring any does around until I know for sure what I am going to do.

So, my first goat is a buck. Suggestions, advice, help?

Thanks for everything!

See less See more
#2 ·
Hmmmm a dilemma! It's hard to say if he will be rough with the babies, but I would lean towards getting him a wether friend. Actually, if it were me, I would wether him too. He will be a lot nicer to be around and easier on everyone including himself. Unless he is a truely exceptional buck, keeping him for breeding would be more trouble than it's worth.

#4 · (Edited)
I put my bottle doeling (Diamond) in with captain jack (a mammoth boer buck) and she sleeps next to him with no problems at all. I have never seen him be aggressive with her or Cody (my cousin dragonfarm's boer buck)
I guess it depends on the buck :) good luck

This is a picture of diamond and another of jack
I will try to get a pic of them together for you later :)

Attachments

#5 ·
I have a Black Spanish Buck, a bottle baby who was born last April. I am trying to sell him. He butts everything. He currently lives in my vegetable garden which is making me really unhappy because where I live the last annual freeze date for the year has passed. I know he is unhappy living alone but he was causing so many problems living with my does I had to seperate him. So now I have 3 wethers and 2 prego does living together and my buck is all alone. He has done his job and I am tired of dealing with his antics and buying him food. He needs to be in a field with other does. Unless you want to breed does or farm him out to other's who need a buck for a month, I would casterate him. To bad you live so far away or I would offer him another buck friend.

#6 ·
Thanks for all the advice. I learned some valuable lessons and in the end it was all a benefit for the buck. I found someone that breeds goats and needed a Nigerian Dwarf buck! So my Randy buck will have a home with women! I won't ever make that mistake again! When someone offered me a free goat again my first question was, is he a wether and second was, does he have horns? I am now excited to get my new bottle babies next weekend and may be taking in a retired show wether. Fun times at the farm now that ol' Randy is gone! Thanks again for the advice!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.