First goat-related injury.

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by YouGoatMe, Sep 11, 2020.

1. YouGoatMe

YouGoatMe Well-Known Member

May 31, 2020
    Texas
    I have a ND for that has not "warmed up" to me. I spend a lot of time out in the barn, give treats, etc. All the other goats including this girl's sister have gotten really friendly and tame. Tonight at feeding she butted me and nearly broke my leg. Is there any hope for her ever becoming friendly or should I stop trying? We got her in June. She was said to be about a year old at the time.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
  2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Some goats just never become friendly with people.

3. CCCSAW

CCCSAW Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2019
    California
    It never hurts to keep trying but I got a yearling and a kid last 2 years ago the younger supposedly 6 months at the time she warmed up quickly, the older had always been nervous. Though she is more tolerate now i still can't just walk up to her like I can the others and she only accepts attention on her terms, usually when I'm on the other side of the fence where she knows I can't catch her. I wouldn't totally give up on her but just keep a constant add you would with the others and know at times you might need help to get a hold of her for hoofs and meds

4. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    I have s couple of does..that were distant..until they delivered kidds. I stay with my girls once the labor starts..and at least after all kidds are on the ground and have their bellies full of cholostrum & milk. After im penned up with them during that time. They change and accept me.

5. YouGoatMe

May 31, 2020
    Texas
    Thanks y'all! I suspect she may be pregnant. We haven't tested her yet. If she is, she'd be due in November. I will stick it out with her until she delivers and pray that changes her. Until then, I'm icing my leg and pouting over the situation.

6. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    The best way I found for getting an unfriendly doe to become friendly is to be there when she kids. Get birth fluids on your hands and let her lick them off, mixing your scent in with the scent of her kid. This has never failed to work for me.

With a buck, I put him on a lead rope to breed his does. After a couple of sessions, he learns that I am the bringer of all that is good! LOL

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Sorry you were hurt.
    The bad behavior has to be corrected.
    It must be known it is unacceptable.

Squirt gun or bottle handy, if she thinks about it. Spray her.

Or pull her ear upward until she cries out. Tell her to "Quit" or use a word so she associates with bad behavior and discipline.

Getting this all under control first will teach respect to you, then you can work on calming her.

She may get more aggressive after she kids, as she may be protective of them, if you cannot get her under control before then.

Do not have children around her.

8. YouGoatMe

May 31, 2020
    Texas
    Thank you for the advice! My husband immediately moved her to a different pen (with our buck and wether). We don't feed them the same as the ladies, so I won't be going in there daily. I will start working with her though as soon as I'm not limping around! My kids do help with the goats but I will make sure they aren't around her.

9. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    If you are afraid of her, she will sense it and may become more aggressive. I have a couple that nudge me when they want petted. (not acceptable, I am the BOSS) I only pet when I want to, not when they demand. But, one Togg can get overly aggressive, I could see where she could hurt someone. Maybe your doe was demanding petting?
    Anyway, if she is a problem and you are fearful or really don't want to be around her, get rid of her. There is no reason to resent an animal. Not bloodlines, breeding, milk, nothing. I'm a dairy and have gotten rid of a fabulous milker because of her terrible behavior towards me and her herdmates. Life is too short to be afraid of or hatred of a goat.

CritterCarnival, HMNS, NDinKY and 6 others like this.
  10. YouGoatMe

May 31, 2020
    Texas
    Thank you for the advice! She butted me because I was standing at the feed trough and not letting her move another doe out of the way. She likes to dominate the feed trough so I was just separating her and another pregnant doe.
    I'm not afraid of her, just a little pissed at her at the moment. I'm guessing she will be moving to another farm after she has her kids though. I'm going to give her a little bit more of a chance and try to teach her who is boss before I decide for sure.

11. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Do you think she was actually trying to get YOU or she just nailed you while charging the other doe? To me, there's a huge difference between a not tame doe and one that was intentionally aggressive to a human.

12. YouGoatMe

May 31, 2020
    Texas
    My husband said he saw her back up then run at me so I think it was to me intentionally. He started to holler at me to move but he said it all happened too fast. He does not want me to keep her. I wanted to give her another chance because I know I was putting myself in the situation by not letting her push the other doe away from the feed.

MadHouse and Iluvlilly! like this.
  13. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Once she has done this she will do it again.

14. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    You can always get a "hot shot", carry it with you. It delivers a pretty good shock. I have gone to a hand held one with my adult bucks- they get close and aggressive, I say "NO" and if the behavior doesn't change immediately, they get zapped. With 200# highly rutted dairy bucks (9 in a big pen), I would rather they be afraid of me than me become hurt by their stupid rutty behavior.

The cattle prods (aka "Hot Shots") are sold at any livestock store. You can get a hand held for close up work or ones with 2' to 4' long rods. Those are good, but hard to use in small areas.
    I do not mean to recommend shocking goats indiscriminately, these are for safety and pretty much a last resort before culling an animal. In the case of rutting bucks, for me, it is for my survival and safety.

I think that your doe might benefit from shock therapy. At the very least, she will not ram you and will learn to respect your space. It will give you time to decide what to do with her, breed, keep the kid and sell her, or whatever. But, if her behavior is genetic, any kid may have the same aggressive tendencies.

HMNS, Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.
  15. YouGoatMe

May 31, 2020
    Texas
    Thank you. I'm going to talk to my husband about getting one of these. The aggressive doe is currently over in the buck pen until I figure out a plan. Her twin sister has not shown any aggression, do hopefully it isn't genetic.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.
  16. YouGoatMe

May 31, 2020
    Texas
    Will the shock be ok even if she is pregnant?

Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.
  17. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    It's a quick zap. Hopefully you wont need to use it. I have never used one on a preg doe. But I zapped myself once, accidentally. It hurts for sure! :omg:

18. Jessica84

Jessica84 Well-Known Member

Oct 27, 2011
    California
    I agree on the hot shot. She will be ok if you nail her with it. I mean I wouldn’t chase her for a hour shocking her or anything but a zap and make sure you yell something like get back or no, will be fine. I have used it on pregnant does before when they thought it was cute to knock me down so they could get the grain. But make sure you yell something at her. I have mostly used it on bucks when they reach the stage of flexing their muscles and want to challenge me. I always yelled get back and then zapped them and that came in SO handy when I didn’t have it one days I just pointed at one buck and yelled get back and he kept his distance from me.
    I do agree, well with everyone on here lol but that you do not have to keep her. There are so so many goats in this world for us to enjoy and if we can’t enjoy them it’s all to easy to get frustrated with their daily antics and throw the towel in. But if you do like her or she has something to offer and you want to hang onto her get the hot shot.
    I know the turning point for mine that are distant and even a little crazy about not wanting me to touch them their turning point is when they kid, but being I have honestly never had to deal with a aggressive doe like that. If/when she does kid though very much watch yourself with her. I’ve had some very sweet girls loose their minds over hormones and are not overly friendly when they kid. If she is showing aggression now it might be even worse when she kids

Iluvlilly!, HMNS, YouGoatMe and 2 others like this.
  19. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    One good two prong connected zap will send a strong message. With a stern command, "No" or whatever you want to use.

Do not use on pregnant does though.

20. suz1234

suz1234 New Member

Aug 22, 2019
    Lovington
    It is all about trust with these girls. She may have been mistreated Before you got her. Such a shame since being friendly comes very natural for Nigerian Dwarfs. Don’t give up on her. Don’t Persue her for a while and let her observe how you interact with the others. Try sitting in a chair while you visit them.

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.