First goat-related injury.

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by YouGoatMe, Sep 11, 2020.

1. MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm

MuldrowBeeandGoatFarm Well-Known Member

Oct 24, 2019
    Texas
    I don't think I could use a cattle prod on my does but my Rams, yes, I could. My does have been popped by our hot wire for the chicken coop, they like to go after the feed because as you all know, goats are starved all the time......they have learned they do not like to get bitten by the wire so they avoid the coop now.

2. HMNS

HMNS Active Member

Jul 15, 2019
    Brown County, Ohio
    Hi...
    I'm just 'throwing this out there' because I have not experienced any ill-tempered/aggressive goats. Granted, I've only 'known' Nigerian Dwarfs (so far) but, they have all been super nice in temperament. Our 2 girls are love-bugs...they will lean all over you for some lovin' :nod:

So...here's my thought...
    Have you had her on the milk-stand at all..? I use ours for everything...milking, feeding (grains)...grooming...hoof trimming. Maybe your girl might find some 'calm' (over time) with you if you lock her on the milk stand with her feed and take that 'one-on-one' time to brush her or just petting her...touch everywhere (eventually) and get her used to having her udder touched (if you are planning on milking her). If that's the only way she gets her grain, she might settle in once the routine is established.

I'm wishing you and your doe the best and hope it can be resolved. If not, someone already mentioned..there's a lot more really great goats out there and, just because she doesn't 'click' with you or your program...she might be right for someone else's.

3. artzkat

artzkat Member

Oct 22, 2007
    West Virginia
    I have a doe that is a problem also..but she was always "low goat" in the group of 7..now. She and her sister were the last two left (15 years old)...he sister was victim of a dog attack about 3 months ago and died..so now Bess and I have to try to establish a relationship. She is more fearful than aggressive. So I am having to sit quietly with her and share apple treats, etc. No sudden moves, lots and lots of just talking to her. We have "school" every few days, where I "trap" her gently in her shed ..put a halter and leash on her and just sit quietly..will brush her if she allows..pet her neck, touch her feet and just work on building her confidence. Most of all I am making her life predictable..feed at the same time in the same place every day, treats at the same time every day...making her come to me to get a treat rather then walking toward her with food...no sudden grabs or moves.. no chasing ever..lots and lots and lots of talking...I even read the newspaper to her...Goats are smart which is a problem..ha ha. She is strong...has taken me down a couple of times, but only out of fear..not mean just scared. Goats first instinct is to get away by any means even if it means running over anything in front of them. So I try not to put her in that fight or flee mindset and let her tell me what works for her. Slow and steady.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  5. TlC

TlC New Member

Jun 4, 2018
    For the goat that attacked you, I think I would try carrying a squirt bottle set on stream setting...My goats will do anything to avoid water.

For the wild ones, I house them in the barn feeding area with me. Every time I go feed or do anything they get used to me moving about... I ignore them until they start accidentally touching me. After a few weeks, they will start bumping my legs so I can shove them out of the way without them having a drama attack...when they tame, they will keep munching the hay in the barn while I feed and I have to politely kick them out so I can close the door. Has worked on the wildest ones.

6. YouGoatMe

YouGoatMe Well-Known Member

May 31, 2020
    Texas
    Well...one month of trying to build a relationship with this goat (treats, head scratches) and today she tried to attack me again. This time wasn't feed related, I went in to check the pen walls and fences and as soon as I turned my back on her she came at me. I was ready and was able to grab her before she got my knee again. I pushed her back and said "NO" loudly. I'm going to start over and keep trying until she has her kids, but I don't have much hope. I haven't tried the prod yet because I was worried about using it on her while pregnant.
    Discouraging! I thought we were making progress with her....but I also hadn't turned my back on her and given her the chance I guess.

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  7. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

One last push. See if having kids changes her demeanor. Maybe sharing that moment with her will make her trust you. It seems like she wants dominate you. If this doesnt change after birthing, I would consider finding her another home

8. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    :up: Sorry she is being such a pill.

My grandkids have one like that. It was a kid that really should have died at birth. But dumb me fed it drop by drop with a syringe, then the grandkids raised her in the house. She is 3 now and you can't turn your back on her. (full size Lamancha). The other day she charged me, as she ran out of the pen, I was going to flip her, but she hit the concrete and her feet flew out from under her. She was layed out! I yelled at her, now she must think I did it because she keeps her distance and is very respecful of my space! :)

9. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    @YouGoatMe - do you know if this doe was bottle raised?

Sorry she came at you again. I would almost bet money she was bottle raised coming at you with your back turned so I'm interested to see your answer. A dam/herd raised goat does not use that strategy in my experience.

10. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

I agree with @saltylove. Bottle babies take chances because they know you better than you know yourself

Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.
  11. YouGoatMe

May 31, 2020
    Texas
    I am not sure about her being bottle raised....she very well could have been. The previous owner either didn't know much info, or just didn't want to tell us much. They did say that her and her sister were bullying the smaller goats and that's why they wanted to rehome them. It seems like that was a little understated....she does bully our smaller goats, but also tries to bully me too. I assumed that some light bullying to work out the "pecking order" was acceptable, so I didn't think anything of it. Now I also feel bad because I would love to resolve this behavior, but it seems like it's becoming more and more of a problem. I hate the thought of her just jumping homes with no long-term place.

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  12. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

I don’t know anything about your setup, but you may have to seperate her with a fence, so she can still see the others. Once she kids she won’t be alone, and hopefully become friendlier.

13. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Sometimes animals and owners don't click. I will be bold here and say if an animal attacks me or any person, it will not stay here..period. Sometimes that animal will do better in a larger herd setting..in larger pasture where they don't have alot of human contact.
    While waiting for her to kid I would pen her alone. Make her rely only on you for food w a ter and attention. When she kids..be there....be hands on if you can...I know it can really stress some moms.. . somtimes this makes bonding easier. I doubt she will change at this point but maybe she will at least not feel the need to attack you.
    But got to ask yourself..why keep a goat that can be dangerous? Why keep off spring of a mean animal? With bucks and rams. We know their nature...we never fully relax when with them because of their nature..but females we should not have to worry about.

14. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

It really isn't good to keep rehoming. I put aggressive goats in the freezer. I'm not willing to put up with it and I don't think it is right to send the problem on.

15. YouGoatMe

May 31, 2020
    Texas
    Thank you! These are all very good points. We do have a separate pasture we can put her on. I might move her and her sister back there and start thinking about selling. The only reason we have kept her even this long considered keeping her kids was that we need to keep a certain number of livestock to meet our ag exemption requirements and we are just barely there. Once we are well past that requirement I have no real desire to keep her.
    To add insult to injury, I saw the doctor and they think the original headbutting attack might have torn my meniscus. Maybe I can sell her and make some money to offset medical bills lol!

16. YouGoatMe

May 31, 2020
    Texas
    If I do end up rehoming her, I have already committed to myself to be 100% transparent that this is not a pet goat, she can be a lawn mower but not good with people. If I can't find someone that is looking for that I will be signing her up for freezer camp.

17. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Most times they don't squabble too much if your numbers are a tad off. Here in Texas they give a time frame to get more animals that bring the numbers up to what they want you to have. But sounds like you have a plan of action. Hope your leg heals quickly.

18. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

I am pro life and have handled my share of aggressive wild animals. Try taming a 30 year old donkey with no teeth and really sharp hooves. Let her have her babes. You m8ght be surprized.
    But if it does not change dont give her to any one else. Freezer camp is the only other option. You cannot pass her on.

19. YouGoatMe

May 31, 2020
    Texas
    Thank you! I'm in Texas also. We talked to the guy that monitors stuff for the county and it seems like he wouldn't be nit-picky, I was just worried about making sure we did it right. This is our first year hear and the first ag exemption we've ever had I didn't want it to seem like we were being shady from the get-go.

20. YouGoatMe

May 31, 2020
    Texas
    I was holding out hope because I am also pro life. I hate to give up on any living thing! But I definitely don't want to put anyone else in this position. I will have a serious sit-and-think about this and try to come to terms with it a little better.