The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my first goat today! A cute little 2 yr old Pygmy mix weather. He's absolutely adorable. Here's some observations from our first few hours together.

If it's loud and you give me food, I will keep head butting it.
If it's grass, I love it and will not move no matter where the human wants me to go even if it's out of the rain.
If it's another animal I will butt it.

The chickens think he's cool, the cats think he's a dog, and the dogs have no clue what he is.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you! I started searching for a buddy as soon as I got him settled. Poor guy was living by himself near a fence full of alpacas. I'm hoping to find another weather or doe.

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,082 Posts
Good luck with your search! They are wonderful! One bit of advice -- I wouldn't allow him to playfully butt you. It's very cute when they are little, but it can grow into a very dangerous and annoying habit. Any goat around here, even baby kids, who butt, I take them by the ear and give them a firm tug away from me. That's how momma goats scold their babies.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good luck with your search! They are wonderful! One bit of advice -- I wouldn't allow him to playfully butt you. It's very cute when they are little, but it can grow into a very dangerous and annoying habit. Any goat around here, even baby kids, who butt, I take them by the ear and give them a firm tug away from me. That's how momma goats scold their babies.
Thank you! I did not know you could do that. That's a huge relief. I thought I might have to dehorn him but if I can train him that would be best.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Yep, we started with two pygmies. Then bought three Nigerian Dwarf does. Then bought a buck. Have had two sets of babies so far. Getting two more ND does at the end of the month, LOL. Not a hobby, it's an addiction! :p

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I thought my parents would keep my goat addiction in check if I tried to get a lot but they have fallen in love with billy too! They can't resist the addiction either!

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,082 Posts
Thank you! I did not know you could do that. That's a huge relief. I thought I might have to dehorn him but if I can train him that would be best.
Here's what I did for one of my does:

If she head rubs me, I grab her ear and pull her away from my leg. Usually she walks away. If she gets mad and tries to but me, I grab her ear again for longer, and yell "No!" I may also then take her collar, and make her follow me around for awhile, set her up, make her behave. It fixed the problem very quickly.

You can also "tip" them if need be. You grab the front and back legs that are farthest from you, push with your shoulder, and plop them to the ground.

Watergun is another option. ;)

If he is intact, I would have him neutered -- wethers make better pets and have less crazy hormones raging through their system, so they calm down. :)

·
558 Posts
Odin is sure a cutie!! Is he pygmy too or Nigerian??
How are the two of them getting along??

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Odin is sure a cutie!! Is he pygmy too or Nigerian??
How are the two of them getting along??
His father is pure Pygmy I'm not sure about the mother.
As far as getting along, I'm not sure. Billy butts Odin around and Odin seems to care less about billy except to hide from him. But if I separate them where they can't see each other they both cry out. Billy also gets angry if Odin is crying for any reason.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I absolutely love the little guy. I wish he would live me back. How did you guys tame little ones who weren't bottle fed?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts