The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to a local farm to put a deposit on my very first ever kids for the spring. What questions do I need to ask? How do I know I picked the right farm? How is the deposit on spring kids thing supposed to work?

·
8,501 Posts
Ask if they test for CA, CAE and Johne's disease. Look around, do the goats look healthy? Do they have a clean, dry place to sleep,
does the water look good? If you feel at all uneasy about the way the animals are kept, don't leave a deposit. There are many
breeders all over (generally) and you will find what you want!

As far as the deposit- I will let someone that knows about that, I've only put one deposit down-

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
Make sure the goats are friendly and active, trimmed hooves, bright eyes, healthy coats, etc. I posted a nice long post this morning, but it got deleted because they are merging two forums right now..

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
Nope, not at all. Ask to view the test results. Labs will send a paper result. If they don't have that, go to the next person.

As for the deposit, I would make up a little contract for both parties to sign if they don't already have one since you won't be buying kids till next summer.

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
Say I have a doe bred to a buck. You want a doe kid from her. So you would contact me and say "I would like a doe kid only (or whatever you want) from this doe and this buck." So I would say "Sounds great, I will put you on a reservation list." Most people, including me, don't take deposits on un born kids. So if doe only has buck kids, you can either pick a buck, or choose a different kid from a different breeding. Usually you pick 2-3 does to get kids from, in case your first choice doesn't have what you want, or there are too many people in front of you. If doe has a doeling or doelings, you will get pictures, and can pick the one you want. :) HTH :D

·
14,456 Posts
It is not rude at all to ask to see test results. As a breeder I don't expect any buyer to believe my word for it.
Test results should be within 6 mos of any doe kidding.
Some farms have complicated deposit protocol.
For instance "reserving the right to retain any potential kid" in which you would or should be able to apply that to a different kid.
As said, get it in writing.
As for picking out your kids, you can always ask the breeder to do this for you if you aren't sure. I have done this for people wanting a herd sire; they like a certain one but I point them to something better in the same general price range. And explain why.
Find out what feed is used on their farm including hay , if kids are on dam or bottle & what brand of formula if that is done.

·
I'm watching you
22,551 Posts
Also ask about their worming schedule. People who worm every couple months just because usually have built resistant parasites on their property. You don't want to start out with that problem.
Buy from people who worm only when needed or use herbal wormers.

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
I would ask to meet their goats first. Check them out, see if they are well kept, clean (exception of bucks in rut) and hooves trimmed, free of noticeable diseases, etc. Overall just see if the people know what they're doing, and most importantly ask lots of questions. This will give you more knowledge and they should be able to answer them for you. Get to know them, especially if they are within and hour or so of you see them on a semi-regular basis. That way you can simply come up to them at your older brother's high school sports banquet and ask them goat questions :) (I may have done that... Countless times!) it's really nice to be good friends with people that know a lot about goats, they can help and have the experience you don't! ;) And you are on the best goat forum on the planet to answer questions, so you can always ask us! ;) Good luck with your new goaties in the summer, I'm excited for you! Ive had my 3 for 1 1/2 years and they are the best thing in my life! I can't wait to have babies in the spring and just have more goats! You'll love them!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow, thanks guys for all the great information! I'm so excited! They are just going to be pets, so I'm picking them out for their pretty colors mostly. How do you guys feel about debudding?

·
Registered
626 Posts
Wow, thanks guys for all the great information! I'm so excited! They are just going to be pets, so I'm picking them out for their pretty colors mostly. How do you guys feel about debudding?
yes, if you can get them disbudded. I have a buck with horns and a doe with horns and the doe has a potshot habit. shes hormonal and theyre liable to severely cripple you unintentionally or another goat and youll have to put them down.

·
Registered
8,603 Posts
I would get them disbudded. I do not like horns at all. You can teach a goat not to use them, but sometimes they'll accidentally poke or jab or cute you if you are not careful.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Really? I had no idea that it was the breeders responsibility. Hm. From now on then I will make sure any that I get from a breeder will be!!!!!!!! Bc one I have bit the stew out of me (Took some hair off my scalp bc I moved before she got my face) and tried to gore me with those horns of hers while trying to feel for baby lumps. what a witch lol. She knows how to use them. Shes acting like she belongs in a goaty nut house.
Thanks for the information. I learned something tonight.
:]

·
Registered
540 Posts
yes, if you can get them disbudded. I have a buck with horns and a doe with horns and the doe has a potshot habit. shes hormonal and theyre liable to severely cripple you unintentionally or another goat and youll have to put them down.
All of my goats have horns and have never crippled me. I think it depends on the goat entirely. Yours may have been aggressive, but it doesn't mean all goats should be disbudded :)

·
Registered
626 Posts
It really depends if you keep them penned or let them range. Mine range on two acres with my horses and get a flake of bermuda hay a handful or two of feed along with treats here and there.

·
Registered
3,657 Posts
I would get them disbudded. Even the sweetest of goats make mistakes and horns can make it much more dangerous for the other goats, especially if they have no horns to defend yourself. It's up to you, but disbudding is the way to go if you ask me ;)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts