The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting two does, probably this weekend. What should I get before they come? I have collars, feed and water buckets, I am making a hay rack, and I have a salt and mineral block. What else would I need right away. Or is there any tips I should know?

·
14,615 Posts
Get thyself good loose minerals for goats with HIGH copper & don't buy it if you are told sheep can have it too.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
HOW OLD ARE THE DOES. SWITCH TO LOOSE MINERALS FOR STARTERS. WHAT BREED ARE THEY? I WOULD MAKE A FIRST AID KIT. HAVE THEY BEEN TESTED FOR CL,CAE, AND JOHNES? ARE THEY BRED DOES? IF SO HOW LONG. YOU ARE A NEWBIE SO I WOULD BUY AND READ THE BOOK "YOUR GOAT A KIDS GUIDE TO RAISING AND SHOWING GOATS" IT IS FOR OLDER 4-h MEMBERS AND NEWBIES. IT WILL ANSWER MOST OF YOUR QUESTIONS AND CONCERNS.I BOUGHT ONE FOR MYSELF AND ONE FOR MY 4-H MEMBERS.(I AM A LEADER). YOU CAN GET IT NEARLY ANY FEED STORE OR ON EBAY. ANOTHER GOOD BOOK IS STOREYS GUIDE TO RAISING DAIRY GOATS. THEY ALSO HAVE ONE FOR MEAT GOATS. THIS FORUM IS AN EXCELLENT SOURCE BUT WE NEED MORE INFORMATION.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Make sure they have had their CD&T shots, if not do it first thing. I would also recommend feeding exactly the same feed they are currently on for the first week before any kind of transitioning. I'm thinking they are on a bottle? If so use the same milk, be it formula or whole cows milk, just keep it consistent for the first week.

I love calfmanna, if they aren't on a bottle I'd do a 1/3 cup three times a day until they eating really really well on whatever hay you choose.

They may want a large dog carrier to cuddle and sleep in while they are adjusting to their new home. I put shavings in mine and the little ones seem to love that secure feeling.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
They can't get to the chicken feed can they? As I understand it, chicken feed isn't good for goats.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts