The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We pick up three 8 week old ND's on Saturday. We have a barn with an attached run in, and a 40x60 pasture. With the breeders guidance, we have the minerals, food, hay, straw, dishes etc. We're so excited. Do any of you have tips on how to make they're transition easy on them?

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
If they have been together already they probably will be fine hopefully they are already weaned. Otherwise it might be a little loud. We let our newbies run with our children and sometimes they come in the house!!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are they active when they first come home? Or should we put them in the barn and allow them to settle in?

·
14,615 Posts
They might be a little skitterish for the first few days. It's entirely up to you but if its near evening when you bring them in it might not be a bad idea to just put them in the barn.
And congrats!

·
Registered
600 Posts
Wow you are really going to all odds and ends for these goats! Kudos to you for doing your homework! :clap: They may have scours for a few days due to stress and if they are just being weaned. NDs are tiny so double check your fence and make sure that there aren't any places they can escape. They might be especially loud for a while, but that should go away fairly soon :) Congrats on getting them!

·
7 does - 2 bucks - 1 wether
11,090 Posts
The first week will be the hardest, they will cry, but they will be okay. Just give them fresh and plenty of hay daily, it helps keep them busy. Sit out there and talk with them, give them treats. Seems to help. :)

·
558 Posts
Congrats! How exciting for you! I just got my first goats (ND) this Spring too. They are so much fun and a lot more cuddly than I expected. We got ours in March and it was so cold we had them in the house at night. They LOVED to lay in our laps and sleep. I agree that I would lock them in the barn at night. They are so tiny I would worry about predators.

If you are anything like me, I did a TON of research before I got mine and I still started to panic the first time one of them got the runs. Make sure you have electros, CD antitoxin, Pepto, Sulmet (cocci med), thermometer, Vit B complex and probiotics ready on hand. Escpecially the CD antitoxin. I thought I would be able to find it at a feed store around here if I needed it and found out quickly when I needed it that noone even knew what I was talking about (even the vets in the area) and had to order it.

Good luck and enjoy!! Take lots of pictures....we would love to see them!!!

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
Congratulations on your new babies.

What you might do is lock them in the barn at night just so they get use to the place. Be out with them as much as possible so they will get use to you and take treats with you, they will be your best friends once they realize you are "mom".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts