First Hoof Trim Job!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Devin, Mar 12, 2011.

1. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    I did the first trim job today! It went GREAT! :leap: I was really expecting that it would be a bigger deal. I may have cheated. I don't have a stanchion, yet, and I don't even know if they are old enough to be in one yet. So I took them into the back of the horse trailer, "penned" them against the wall, had my son hold the coller on both sides of the head, and fed them their grain while I worked. I was probably a little slow as I was figuring out the trimmers, didn't want to take off too much! Toby had a lot more growth so he took longer, he even had flaps of loose heel that I had to cut off. (I'm not sure if that's what you call it, on a horse it would be a frog :laugh: ) But anyway it went well, they both were too focused on their grain to care lol! :cool:

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Congrats great job......... :thumb: :cool: :clap:

3. naturalgoats

naturalgoats New Member

Jan 2, 2011
    congratulations! I used to just have my dad hold them still on his lap... their too big now though :)

4. bleatinghearts

bleatinghearts New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, AK
    Awesome! I love doing hooves. I so them every 4 weeks if they need it or not. :) Sometimes all they need is a quick file.

5. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    Thanks guys!

I would like to get a mini file! I have standard files for horses, but golly they are huge compared to those tiny feet lol!

6. jduwall

jduwall New Member

Aug 7, 2009
    just did hooves for my mom today...don't they look great when your done. like getting a pedi.....shhhh don't tell the bucks~~!! lol

7. Devin

Devin New Member

Feb 6, 2011
    LOL! They are way to manly for that!