The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So we weren’t planning on breeding until this coming year but I had suspicion that our oldest doe had gotten pregnant. Yesterday she was acting off and I checked different things, feed, temp famacha, poop etc everything was fine so I checked ligaments (been watching a lot of videos) and sure enough they were gone.

We only have a 10x12 or 12x12 something like that shed that the goats stay in at night and I knew there wasn’t going to be enough room sooooo I put down the third row and one of the second row seats in our old van and put down a tarp and straw got hay in one corner warm molasses water in the other and the doe. When she started showing signs of it being time we got in with her and she came over laid in my lap (she is a ND but thinks she is a lap dog) I convinced her to lay in the straw and we waited. She was licking all over me and I was excited because I was hoping that meant her mothering instincts were kicking in. At 8:00pm she started pushing and my son (23 yrs) and myself looked terrified. But at 8:23pm she had a baby on the ground, I wiped off the face and suctioned it’s mouth out and laid it out in front of her as quick as I could so they could bond.

it didn’t go well. She wanted nothing to do with it and kept roughly head butting it away. I dried it off once we seen she wasn’t going to clean it off. We waited and no signs of another kid coming and I tried the bouncing thing and didn’t feel anything but who knows if I did that right. Then we waited as the baby started to stand and such we got it to nurse a little. It would latch suck a little and quit. We had to hold her still because otherwise she was ramming it with her head. So she passed the placenta around 10:00pm, we had been having the baby latch on and suckle every few minutes just to get some in its belly but we couldn’t leave it with her unattended the way she was butting him and nowhere to put him so he came inside with us. I milk some from mom and had some colostrum replassement on hand so I fed him a couple times in the night (struggling because of course he would rather not use a bottle)

we made it till morning and baby seems strong. I’m trying to figure out what I should do about living arrangements now. We are going to keep trying at least for another 5-7 days and see if she will take to it but I know that taking it from the warm house (72F) out to the goat shed (35-52F depending on the weather 5=6 times a day is probably not good.

like I said this wasnt planned for until next fall and by then we were going to have a kidding/milking shed but it didn’t work that way, any suggestions on what to do to help her bond with the baby or clever ideas on where to house him? The outside temps are suppose to be lows in the 20s until Sunday then they go down to single digits for about a week and back to teens. So it’s going to be cold. at what temp do you need a heat lamp on a baby that might be by itself If I can’t get the mom to accept it.

im happy we had our first baby and it seems healthy but feel like a failure because she isn’t taking to it and we don’t have a normal place to keep it/them. If she would take to it I have a small section in a three sided shed I could do something with but it would not be as warm as their goat shed. Three walls and a tarp over the front to keep snow out and the top where the metal roof comes together is open about 6 inches all across.

any suggestions or information would be great. I don’t want to mess up any more than I have. I was I tears last night telling my son maybe getting goats was a bad idea and that I was stupid for trying.

· Fair-Haven
6,173 Posts
With her being mean to baby, and the lack of set up for bonding, and a warm space, I would keep him in the house, milk mom and feed that back to baby starting at 4x per day, 10% body weight of baby in total to start. DO NOT overfeed. If you aren't prepared for baby, I would sell him as a bottle kid to someone who can take care of him. Hopefully you dipped his cord. Local 4H families may be a great option if you need to rehome. Do make sure the buck is separate, he will try to breed that doe back with her hormones as they are right now.

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would try as hard as you can to get her to take the baby if you plan on intergrating it into your herd. My vet suggested trying to get the mom on the stand and use the nursing to help stimulating bonding. She said to try for a couple of days.
thank you. We are still trying. She isn’ttaming him as hard and he has been able to nurse several times today.

when I called my vet they couldn’t see him till tomorrow but the woman answering the phone said not to take him out of the pen to just make sure mom could get away if she wanted to. She said she doesn’t have goats but has cows and that’s what they do. Our vet has goats, but not sure whether to do what the lady on the phone said. I’m afraid he will get hurt.

· Registered
1,325 Posts
thank you. We are still trying. She isn’ttaming him as hard and he has been able to nurse several times today.

when I called my vet they couldn’t see him till tomorrow but the woman answering the phone said not to take him out of the pen to just make sure mom could get away if she wanted to. She said she doesn’t have goats but has cows and that’s what they do. Our vet has goats, but not sure whether to do what the lady on the phone said. I’m afraid he will get hurt.
You might try a dog crate so she can see but not hurt?

· Registered
1,325 Posts
I had my FF reject her babies after a traumatic delivery and it has been more difficult to get them integrated into the herd so I wish I had tried harder. I’m not sure if I could have gotten her to change her mind but who knows. I had twins so they had each other in the house and when I put them back with the herd but it hasn’t been as smooth as I would have liked.

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You might try a dog crate so she can see but not hurt?
we tried the dog crate idea and hooked to the wall so she couldn’t tip it but she ended up putting her leg through the bars on one side and across the corner and out the other and got stuck.

still taking him out to nurse 3 times during the day and doing bottle at night. Just so he is use to bottle. When we took him out the last time one of our younger girls started licking him so im thinking of trying to get her to take him under her wing and we will make sure he nurses or gets his bottle.

he is a little pistol, hopping all over!!

· Registered
341 Posts
If she is still having any vaginal discharge from the kidding, you can pick up the buckling and smear a bit of the discharge on him. Usually you want to just briefly press his butt on her vulva. Then present him, back end first, for her to lick/smell again. This sounds gross, but it can help them recognize their kids and stimulate bonding if it's done soon enough after birth. It doesn't always work, but it's something to try in these frustrating cases.

By the way, you did great. Don't feel bad. We have all had things happen on the farm that didn't go exactly the way we planned. You didn't make a mistake getting goats. You are just starting out and you will get more and more confident!

· Registered
1,325 Posts
we tried the dog crate idea and hooked to the wall so she couldn’t tip it but she ended up putting her leg through the bars on one side and across the corner and out the other and got stuck.

still taking him out to nurse 3 times during the day and doing bottle at night. Just so he is use to bottle. When we took him out the last time one of our younger girls started licking him so im thinking of trying to get her to take him under her wing and we will make sure he nurses or gets his bottle.

he is a little pistol, hopping all over!!
Dang it! That’s interesting the younger girl was interested. Maybe she will take him in? Hopefully they figure it out. The first kidding is stressful especially when things don’t go as planed. Agreed you are doing a great job

· Registered
4,502 Posts
Do you have a garage that you could partition off a section maybe?
Just thinking of maybe a little bigger area where they could be by themselves (supervised)… she might have been a bit confused with being in the van maybe. Hard to say.

then again, if she was a bottle baby, she just may not know how to be a mom and need a lot of coaxing and help with the idea.
Hoping she’ll accept him! Keep having him nurse and the that should help her realize that feels good and instincts can take over. 🍀🍀🍀

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
If she is still having any vaginal discharge from the kidding, you can pick up the buckling and smear a bit of the discharge on him. Usually you want to just briefly press his butt on her vulva. Then present him, back end first, for her to lick/smell again. This sounds gross, but it can help them recognize their kids and stimulate bonding if it's done soon enough after birth. It doesn't always work, but it's something to try in these frustrating cases.

By the way, you did great. Don't feel bad. We have all had things happen on the farm that didn't go exactly the way we planned. You didn't make a mistake getting goats. You are just starting out and you will get more and more confident!
Thank you! I will give this a shot. I keep trying!

And thank you for the kind words. I can’t believe how I stress over these little creatures in my life

· Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
how are things?? both doe and baby are adorable I really hope she takes him in after all
sorry about not updating timely. We not only have this going on right now but on top of it we are under a boil order until “further notice” could be a week or more. So I’m boiling all the goat water morning and night, dog water, chicken water, people water. At least I’m able to have baby (his name is Percy) nurse from mom or I milk her and give it to him.

Both Beau (mom) and Percy are doing good. He had a vet visit yesterday and got a clean bill of health. He is 4Lbs. 6oz. Good heart, bowel sounds, legs looked good, temp being maintained on his own, good suck response and umbilical looked good. He has an appointment to get disbudded next week if he needs it since we didn’t have iron yet. (I do have the tatto pliers so that’s something)

Beau is doing well, eating good, drinking good, staying active. Not having any discharge anymore. After Percy ate last night I fully milked her for the first time and got little over 2 cups,
Scale Liquid Fluid Cup Gas

not sure how good that is but I was happy, that will be 4 bottles for him if he needs it. Only got 9 oz this morning but that’s 2 more bottles and he goes right through it!!

she still wants nothing to do with him but we were able to put him with a couple of the littler does we have again last night and there was no issues. I’m just going to keep trying but also keep giving him play time with Yasha and Jester to make sure he knows he is a goat and not a cat since that’s who he plays with inside. Nasty cold snap moving in tomorrow for the next 2 weeks so may be less playtime but will make sure he gets some. And hope I don’t mess him up too badly🥴

1 - 20 of 22 Posts