The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter and I pulled the first overnighter with our packgoats this weekend. The trip couldn't have went better. I was worried the goats would have some issues with sleeping under a suspended tarp, but they layed down and didn't make a sound all night. I only have two sets of panniers at the moment, so one lucky goat got to pack my fly rod and nothing else... The other two had the tent, sleeeping bags, pillows, food, water, tarp, and a couple beers.

I'll see what I can do about posting a few pictures in a while.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

I don't know if these pictures are coming in big enough to see, but this is Emma (my daughter) leading the packers. We only went in a couple of miles to make sure I had enough time to situate camp before it got too dark.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm right behind ya in Washington.
I have three Alpine wethers in training. All are still under two years of age. We will do a couple of backpacking trips this summer but I will be doing most of the packing. Can't wait till the Boys are in the two hundred pound catigory. The training is lots of fun but the waiting is the hard part.

The memories of time spent with your children will last a lifetime. Twenty years from now she will look at those photos and grin. Twenty years from now you will look at those photo's and smile as a tear slowly leaks out of the corner of your eye. As a father with three daughters I can speak from experience. Thanks for sharing the PICS of your trip. Those are some nice looking goats.

Curtis King Burbank WA.

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,805 Posts
Totally agree, those are some sweet pics! The packs with the pillows and bags look HUGE :) Thanks to Curtis I to am just starting to train a packer. Though I dont hunt I do have ever intention to take him fishing!!! Cant think of a better plan to have him pack my tack, lunch, and a few other odds n ends while I just fish my fingers to the bone :) With the lack of real weight, am going to jump the gun and get him started so I can have him with me hopefully this coming steal head season. If nothing else he can keep me company.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Nice photos. Havn't taken our goats overnight yet, but did take them on a 4 mile hike. They are a little fat and out of shape, but other than the one that wanted to keep laying down, they did ok. Free range grass must be too much food for them I guess. They roam on 9 acres with lots of feed, and are fat. So... tryiing to get them in shape.
Here is a video of the hike crossing water (three different streams).
The one goat does real well with my daughter (better than me packing them). Took video of them crossing the water. Two of them didn't mind too much but "Treasure" sure did (my daughter named him, not me....).

·
Registered
30 Posts
ok, video paste didnt' work... Here it is again. Fun time so far with the goats, going on an overnighter soon.

[youtube:ya1l4mmz]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=85YR-_BfLmQ&feature=player_embedded[/youtube:ya1l4mmz]

·
Registered
81 Posts
Nice pics & nice vid! Took five of my trainees, all but one who has had a bout of the runs, on a hike / fishing trip with the family into the high country this weekend. I just got a saddle for my biggest doe, Betty, she's only 130 pounds & just over a year old but she's gonna go elk hunting with me this fall and carry about ten pounds of gear for me, I carry about a 30 lb pack so it will help. It will also be fun to have her along.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.