First Predator Encounter- Neutralized!

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by OhCee, Apr 18, 2010.

1. OhCee

OhCee Yak Lady

Feb 26, 2010
    Western MT
    Well, our dogs were freaking out for a good 5 minutes before we heard an unfamiliar "yelp" from right outside the kitchen window. We got up, went out and what do I see? A freakin' coyote in my yard! My 6 ft high cinder block wall enclosed yard. There are two smaller chain-link enclosed yards within the big yard. One of which has my grade goats, one with the big dogs, and my two registered (read: 700+ dollars worth of 2 goats) were in the big yard WITH THE COYOTE! I freaked, yelled "HEY" at the coyote and it took off. I picked up Stachie and Bruisa and got them into the house then we grabbed our flashlights and a .22 pistol and searched the yard for that damn thing. It got away, so we put the Stachie and Bruisa in with the grade does, and let the big dogs (Chesapeake Bay Retrievers) out to patrol the outter yard.

We think it was going after our crated Shih Tzu, because he was the one going nuts first, and he was right by the kitchen window. Thank god the goats and dogs are all fine. Now I have a bf hell bent on shooting a coyote. It's gonna be a fun night!

PS. Does anyone know how to McGyver a way to make possible entry points one-way? Tim wants to trap it in if it gets back in so he can shoot it dead... It's kinda sweet how protective he is of our babies :)

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    Re: First Predator Encounter

wow, that's scary!!
    I dont have experience with coyotes, except to watch for them

3. K-Ro

K-Ro New Member

Oct 13, 2007
    Texas

Scary, glad they didn't get anything.

It's easy for them to clear a 6' fence too, plus they can do it with small animals in their mouths. Years ago, we had one that jumped into our yard, grabbed my large duck and back over the fence it went, like it was nothing.

4. Re: First Predator Encounter

Don't you love those things. I had close to the same thing happen at the new house and boy we had a shot gun the VERY NEX DAY. I aim to make sure they don't come back. LOL

5. DebMc

DebMc Member

Dec 10, 2009

Am glad you were able to shoo him off. :thumbup:

Fully enclosed, predator-proof night enclosures are the most effective and only fool-proof way to keep your domestics safe from coyotes at night. No-climb horse fencing and/or properly installed commercial grade chain link are the way to go for excluding unwanted terrestial predators and they also can be topped with coyote rollers or a hotwire if need be. Shooting or trapping an offending yote' will get you no where. Where's there's one, there's more. They were here before us and will be here when we're gone.

Deb Mc

6. Itchysmom

Itchysmom New Member

Apr 2, 2010
    Washington

I was thinkin maybe an electric wire along the top of the fence. I have never had to do that but I would think it would deter them. Unless there is a place where they can dig under. Then digging a trench and laying down some concrete would work.

And if there is one there are others. Some people will tell you that coyotes are solitary creatures, but they aren't. Especially during mating season!

7. CottonwoodCroft

CottonwoodCroft Member

Jan 26, 2010
    Inyokern, CA

We use to have lots of coyote trouble. They would go over or under our six foot fence that had hot wire on top and bottom. We lost so many cats, chickens, and peacocks it was so sad. They even attacked our one miniature stallion and ripped up his back legs. So we ended up geting three great pyreenees and they are wonderful haven't had a coyote or any other predators near our place since.

They can and will work in packs. So don't believe they are solitary animals.

8. West Texas Boers

West Texas Boers New Member

Apr 17, 2010

I am a new member, having joined only yesterday. Predator problems have been a life long issue growing up on a ranch. Our ranch is in West Texas and the closed town ( 1,000 population ) is nearly 20 miles. We have organized predator hunts useing some of the most talented predator callers and marksmen. As DebMc and Itchysmom accurately stated these are not solitary animals. They are pack animals and most often hunt in packs, although ou will normally only see one or two drawing out the prey. My neighbor and I share over 16,000 acres of predators. When we started our predator control it was not uncommon to harvest 100 predators a week. Two years later we still have them; coyotes , bobcats, fox, mountain lion etc, but a harvests of 2 or 3 a week is now normal. Our location allows for these measures, but not all of us have this opportunity. Check with your county agencies or local agricultural agencies as many offer predator control through county trappers etc. Good luck with whatever measures work for you. We too have lost livestock and pets. It is not only costly, it is heartbreaking.

9. logansmommy7

logansmommy7 New Member

Nov 11, 2009
    Shenandoah Valley, VA

You know in many areas, there are bounties on coyotes. I guess that just tells you how hard they are to kill! There is one here in VIrginia where we live-I'm not sure how much but I think more than $50-100! We've seen them but hopefully they will not come closer! I think I need an LGD!

10. 7acreranch

7acreranch New Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Eastern OK

I second the Great Pry. I would keep the pistol by the bed or the door along with a good flashlight and grab it as you go out. If you have a rifle i would recomend thatover the pistol as the first line since you have more range.

11. OhCee

OhCee Yak Lady

Feb 26, 2010
    Western MT

We're not on land in the middle of nothingness, we're on a 1/2 acre in a county island, surrounded by other houses on all sides... Soooooo rifle will not be happening lol. Tim is a good shot and I'm sure he'll do fine with the .22 :)

Thanks everyone, we don't have our barn here, it's in MT, so when we move, we will set up a couple acres of fence with the prison-esque barbed wire loops on top, and break up smaller paddocks inside it. We will also close them up in the barn at night. Until we move (next 2 months), we will be shooting anything that comes over our wall uninvited.

12. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca

FYI 6' is NOTHING to a coyote or large predator.. even deer, i've seen them go over walls and fences like its nothing... I think the only way to be 100% is to keep the critter locked in roofed pens.. at least until you get him figured out/shot

13. OhCee

OhCee Yak Lady

Feb 26, 2010
    Western MT

Yeahhh, we have our 80 lb Chesapeake Bay Retriever in with the goats. He is the only dog who will ONLY alert if something is really wrong. He lets the younger goats rub up against him and use him for a scratching post, and the goats are in what is normally the dog yard, so he's happy and they're happy.

Tim is very much hoping the coyote comes back. The goaties and Tux (Shih Tzu) will be safe with Whiskey, and here's to hoping we get a 'yote! (or you know, it just stays the heck away!!!)

14. Nubiansrus1

Nubiansrus1 New Member

Sep 2, 2009

Thats really scarey.

Glad everyone is ok. I read the title and got worried. :)

15. OhCee

OhCee Yak Lady

Feb 26, 2010
    Western MT

Well, my boyfriend is basically AWESOME!

He got the 'coyote'. Turns out it's some asshole down the street's DOG. This dog has chased us on our quad in the alley, trying to bite us. Little did we know he was coming into our yard, too! I just saw it's hind-end/tail two nights ago, but I described it to Tim as a coyote on 'roids. It's a dingo type, up ears, coyote features, but well fed and looks like a huge coyote but more red (hard to see at 4 AM). He was an amazing shot for it being 4 this morning. Right through the dog's left elbow, through the lungs as he was trying to get out of the wall. He was getting in the short 6' side of the wall in the back, not the 7' parts.

We got to observe his behavior in our yard. He trotted right along the fence line in front of our male who was in with the goats, taunting him with his tail up, peeing on our stuff!! And Whiskey (our boy) was so good, just alerted and didn't jump out of the 4 ft fence. He stayed with the goats :)

Judging by our dogs' response, and how he marked up our whoooooole yard, he's been in and out of our yard for a couple months! And this is why Whiskey's been peeing on all our tires out back.

The dogs got bully sticks and praise after the ordeal, and we're sorry to kill someone's dog BUT they shouldn't be letting their dog come harass our dogs and goaties.

16. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Good for you.

I do not agree with shooting another persons animals, BUT when they are in with my goats, and stuff, that is a different story.

I would expect someone to do the same thing if my dogs were chasing livestock of others. Her you have to protect YOUR animals.

Do the neighbors know you shot their dog or did you do the old 3S? Shoot shovel and shut up?

17. OhCee

OhCee Yak Lady

Feb 26, 2010
    Western MT
    Yeah, I mean I do feel bad, but... the possible loss of my babies is just plain unacceptable.

We have to go bury him now. 3S all the way. People need to be more responsible and not let their dogs into my property! And that dog has been problematic to other neighbors, too. He won't be missed on this block!

18. 7acreranch

7acreranch New Member

Mar 8, 2010
    Eastern OK
    Good shot buy that man a beer.
    Just curios where there any repercussions from the neighbor of the LEO's? If I remember right you are in AZ right now which is a pretty gun friendly state.

19. OhCee

OhCee Yak Lady

Feb 26, 2010
    Western MT
    Nope! Tim saw a guy with a dog that looked just like the one in our yard hanging out a truck window driving around slowly, but that's it. I think the .22 wasn't loud, and inside the wall and steel gates, even our next door neighbors didn't hear it, and it was about 30 yards from their back door in the corner of our yard.

No one showed up, dog went away in the trash quadruple-bagged yesterday.