The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I had a long thing typed out but my computer shut down so I will make this shorter lol!

So first show, brought my Nigerian Dwarf doe and her two 5 week old bucklings. I showed one of the bucklings, going to keep him as a wether.

Classes

4H 3-4 Year old in Milk (Carolina is 6 but they stuck her in there since she is the only 6 year old) Class of 4 or 5.

Carolina got Grand Champion. Judge really liked her rump, udder attachments, teat placement, and overall conformation and personality. Even though her udder was 1/3 full from the babies (couldn't seperate) she had the best :cool:

0-3 Month Dairy Weather
Class of two. Showing Percy. 5 Week old Nigerian Pygmy cross.
Percy was up against a Mini Nubian about three times the size of him. Percy walked really well on a leash, but the judge was judging on behavior! So of course my little 5 week old who is hot and tired wasn't behaving. At least there was only two in the class and I still got reserve grand champion :p

All Around Dairy Doe Class of about 8
This was another unfair one IMO. Grand Champion was a Nigerian who looked like a spotted Pygmy. She was SOOO fat. Looked like a 9 month pregnant pygmy with quads. Also had poor udder attachment and teat placement IMO. Reserve Grand Champion was a Dry 14 month old Saanan, not clipped etc. Wasn't anything special, but not bad either. Judge said I would have placed if my doe had a little more weight on her. I would agree, she could you a little weight, but I don't think she's bad at all considering is IS a dairy goat and IS nursing twins. I don't think she judged that one right, but oh well.

Showmanship All goats that are none market, I believe. It was a HUGE class.
I used Carolina for showman ship, and despite accidentally walking behind my goat once, I placed as Grand Champion! Judge really liked the way I handled, how I was aware, and how I set fast and correct. I think when Carolina gave me kisses while I was setting her front feet helped too :)

'Round Robin' All the top two showman ship winners in one class, about 8 or so, maybe 6.
So by this time I was tired and super hot. She had us doing all this crazy stuff and I slipped up twice. First time was starting to turn the wrong way, then when we were setting once I set the front feet up first, then the back. Judge said it was a super hard one to judge, and if I hadn't done that I would have placed.

All in all, I am really proud of myself and my goats for doing so well. Considering this was my first show, and my 4H leader has NOT been teaching me ANYTHING, I am happy with how I did. Still mad about the two little mistakes I did in the last class, though.

I will post some pics after the camera charges. :)

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like you did great:)

I've been thinking about showing. Not that my does would have it! You make it sound exciting.
Oh, you have to show. I was sooo nervous waiting in line, but right when you get into the show ring, you just concentrate on doing your best and having fun! I din't think I would place, but I think I did really well! You may be surprised ;)

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here is my Doe Carolina, the one on the right is a Mini Nubian

So this was the overall dairy doe. Nigerian Dwarfs, Nubians, Mini Nubians, Saanan. I didn't place in this one since Carolina was 'too thin'. She lost against an obese Nigerian doe.

It was super hot!

Excuse the look on my face :p I was tired!

Not a huge fan of the leash!

Poor guy was hot a tired, didn't want to cooperate!

Holding still for .0000001 seconds :p

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
Great job! Sounds like you had fun despite the heat ;)

Did the judge actually see you walk behind your goat? That is really a big slip up, one that usually isn't forgotten.

Congrats on all of the wins!!

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Great job! Sounds like you had fun despite the heat ;)

Did the judge actually see you walk behind your goat? That is really a big slip up, one that usually isn't forgotten.

Congrats on all of the wins!!
Thanks!

Yeah, unfortunately, she did. :( They pretty much just have this as a practice for the larger fairs, it was just a teaching thing pretty much, so hopefully I'm okay :confused:

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
Thanks!

Yeah, unfortunately, she did. :( They pretty much just have this as a practice for the larger fairs, it was just a teaching thing pretty much, so hopefully I'm okay :confused:
Oh you're fine! Tell you the truth, that is exactly what I did at my first show too :eek: It is so hard to remember where your goat goes, where you go, and where the judge goes! It takes some getting use to :) The judge must have loved your showing enough to let it go.

We showed at a practice show a few weeks ago, and it was a tough intermediate class with 16 kids in it. The judge couldn't pick who was doing the best, so she told us to name 1 cut of meat. All but about 5 kids said 'the loin' (including me :eek:), and she picked the 5 kids who gave a more unique answer (including my sister) as her top 5. When she had pushed the other 11 of us away, she came back to me because I kept myself in her eye the whole time with my showing. She asked- "if there was 1 thing you could change about your goat, what would it be?" I said- "I would make him wider in his chest." -"And how will you do that between now and fair?" I told her it was impossible, and she gave me second place behind my sister :p

I have learned to never assume that I am completely out of the competition. And hard work and practice always pay off in the end :thumbup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts