First Show Under My Belt

Discussion in 'Show Circuit' started by KLSpoultry, Jun 9, 2009.

1. KLSpoultry

KLSpoultry New Member

Dec 14, 2008
    Omaha, NE
    My first show was awesome! VERY LONG!! Lots of goats!!

My doe, Miss Arkansas, got 2nd of 2 under both judges, but thats ok, I know shes a great doe and every judge has their own things they like more than others. She was very good and showed better than I thought.

Here are some things I learned after my first show:

- Goat people are SO much better than horse show people
    - I'm giving up showing horses, selling half the herd of horses and redoing the farm for goats!!

Here are some pictures: (don't laugh!!)

My next show is the 21st and I'll be taking my buck as well as Missy.
  2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    2nd is nothing to sneeze at! You did great! Congratulations!

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    congrats on the placing. Did the judge tell you why doe number 1 placed over doe number 2 ? that will give you the idea of what their reasoning is. Never feal bad about your placing and the judge is doing their best to interpret the breed standard against the score card. best to familiarize yourself with the score card so you know what parts of the goat score higher so you arent disapointed in the placings in the future :)
  4. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    2nd place with two different judges is VERY good!! You be proud of that! Your doe has something...Im not a dairy person but she is very nice & the judges think so too!
    I tell you Im ecstatic to come in 3rd or even 4th in a large class.
    Have brought my 3mo old buckling to a couple shows. He is two days older than the cut off for under 3 mos.
    Smallest buckling in with some top breeders of older boys. He came in 3rd in one class, didnt place at all in the other two. I was happy with judge saying lots of meat & muscle for 3rd.
    But one judge did say he was very sound & correct on his legs & feet; which is what I was breeding for specifically in this years crop.
  5. harmonygoats

harmonygoats New Member

Nov 19, 2007
    Northern Arkansas
    ok so now you are hooked. Practice setting her up at home. One thing I noticed in the last picture set her front feet straight under her. They usually look better if you can get them to walk. We've had some that won't walk very well and place lower in the class but the next show they walk better and place better. Just walk her everyday and practice,practice,practice. Sometimes you never know what the judge likes. Sounds like you did a great job and congrats on the placings.
  6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    congrats .... :leap: did great....... :hug: