The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We did our first abga show today. Got 4 out of 15:) she came in next to her sister! Judge said she just got out-horsed. And compared to others, she needs a lot more weight. So here's my question, can a show doe be on champion drive? We are putting her on a show bloom type supplement and of course offering more feed. Thank you!

Attachments

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Congrats!! You did a great job :) I am not sure about the feed question, still puttering my way through this whole feed thing for my Boer doe, also. She is so big compared to the last pictures I've seen of her!

These pictures will also help me teach myself how to set her up.. Still trying to revert to dairy goat style! Lol :)

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I think she looks great!

I know people that feed does champion drive but I know more who use power fuel

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Could you feed alfalfa pellets? All we have around here is alfalfa... But we need grass hay for the bucks!

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
Lol.. My goats are pretty picky with them also.

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
I have a question for you, what are your does currently eating? I think they look great, compared to my doe. Feed boers is sooo much different than dairy goats, and I can not find much info on the web for feeding Boer does.

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
I think she looks great......I know I'm not a judge and so it means nothing but IMO I think her weight is perfect for a breeding doe.....guess they would turn my goats around at the door lol

·
Registered
8,709 Posts

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
Wildegoats23, your doe looks awesome. 4th out of 15 is very good in a show like that. I totally feel your frustration because I've been there. But "out horsed" usually means the goats that beat your doe had more "natural" size and muscle. Judging by the pictures of your doe, they had to have been monsters as your doe is thick and wide. Your doe *has* weight on her. Your doe appears to be in excellent show shape. I'm telling you all this because I'm a little skeptical a judge would tell you flat out that doe of yours "needs a lot more weight". Where would she put it? I have does that place where your doe did and I tell myself, "I'm almost there, if I breed to the right buck, I could be in the front."

·
Registered
8,709 Posts
I agree, I think if you tried to push her, she would be too overweight.. I have had this happen even with my dairy goats!!!

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Then we got to the second show with a judge right out of South Africa and he said she looks awesome but placed her 8/15 because he thinks she is weak in her pasterns. Which I totally do not agree with.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts