First snow of the season!

Discussion in 'Photogenic' started by MadHouse, Oct 21, 2020.

1. MidnightRavenFarm

MidnightRavenFarm Well-Known Member

Jun 4, 2020
    Butler TN
    Where do you live? I’m dreading snow

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  2. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

That’s what people around here would say. Most people here don’t like the white stuff.
    We do! :)

3. MadHouse

Way way way north of you. Don’t worry!

4. Boers4ever

Boers4ever Well-Known Member

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    I have a friend that just moved here from Michigan and she asked the other day what time of the year it snows. Some other friends and I had to break the news to her that she has came to the land of snow about 3 days every 8 years or so. She was heart broken!

5. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Actually, snow is ok. We live near Lake Erie and the stupid lake holds onto clouds, so our days are dreary most of the Winter. Thats what I dred, grey, damp days for weeks on end. So, I solved that, I do chores in the night, then I don't have to see the grey! :imok: (Been doing night chores for over a decade, goats are used to it!) :nod:
    Your goats look so happy!

6. MadHouse

We also live near a large lake, Lake Winnipeg.
    It freezes up, maybe that’s why we have cold sunny winter weather mostly.
    Thanks, they are most happy when it is sunny!

Feira426 and Moers kiko boars like this.
  7. CottonwoodBoerGoats

CottonwoodBoerGoats Active Member

Jun 7, 2020
    PNW
    I live in a deep part of the valley here, the higher you go, the more snow there is. It’s just rain by the time it gets to me :(

8. Damfino

Damfino Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    We had our first snow on September 9th and got about 8 inches. Then we had nice warm weather for a while until yesterday. Last night it was 6 degrees and we woke up to two feet this morning! Guess I'll spend most of my morning with a snow shovel!

Here's the snow we had in early September. Snowball was pure white when she was born but her spots came out as she matured and now she looks like a dirty snowball!
    9:9:20.1.jpg

Sadie says "Hi. Where's my breakfast?"
    9:9:20.2.jpg

Back when I still had Butterfly and George. They're in Utah now and very, very happy.
    9:9:20.4.jpg

Rita will be my milk doe this winter.
    9:9:20.5.jpg

9. MadHouse

They were so glad for their houses!! Very cute!

Feira426 and Moers kiko boars like this.
  10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  11. GodsGarden

GodsGarden Active Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Colorado
    What cuties. I think we are a bit higher up so we got in the negatives last night but I think we got less snow then you. I'm so glad we got snow though. Fires should be more under control now and hopefully saved houses and land and more.
    Got up to 10 or 12 degrees and the goats got to come outside. Most didn't need their blankets at that point but since we are probably going back into the negatives tonight was just going to leave them on.
    First Salt and Pepper modeling their almost matching blankets. (little guy in the back ran away while i was checking his blanket so that is why it lopsided)
    20201026_124917.jpg
    My one goat with ears, lol, and her descendants.
    20201026_125756.jpg
    Then all the goats! Just ignore the homeless looking goat in the front, lol.
    20201026_125834.jpg

12. Damfino

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    Where are you guys located? Looks like you got a good six inches anyway. After walking around in it all morning I realize we didn't get 2 feet. We got more like 18-20 inches. It was up to my knees in most places but only some of the drifts were deeper than that. I'm so grateful for the moisture! If November is mild we may even have a bit of a late pasture resurgence. The snow we had in September did wonders for the grass!

13. Boers4ever

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    Greetings. I come from the land of 102 degree summers. Last Christmas it was 54... which was cold. And it hasn’t snowed in 5 years. Texas... yeah.

14. GodsGarden

GodsGarden Active Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Colorado
    Christmas at 54! We complain of the heat when it gets close to 90 lol.

We are up in Elbert county so actually probably not higher but we always seem to be colder. We are on this ridge ... can't remember the name but it always seems to get cold. We had like no wind though so no drifting. It was very fluffy Christmas type snow and snowflakes.

15. Damfino

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    We're at about 7500 feet elevation. We didn't have any wind either, but there are places where the snow gets deeper for some reason (like in ruts). Maybe the ground is just colder in some spots than others. But yeah, it's very nice fluffy winter-type snow. Maybe I'll make some snow ice cream tonight (if the ashes from my wood stove haven't covered too much of it!).

16. GodsGarden

GodsGarden Active Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Colorado
    Yep, you are higher then us. I must just 'feel' higher looking down upon the lands all around while the clouds part around us basking us in light as the other lands are shrouded in darkness.

MadHouse likes this.
  17. Damfino

Dec 29, 2013
    Right behind you
    I live at the base of the mountains but I overlook the eastern plains so I get the best of both worlds looking up and down. I feel like I live at low elevation now because I grew up in Lake City, CO which is close to 9,000 feet. Lake City's got nothing on Leadville though!

MadHouse and toth boer goats like this.
  18. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    I love Leadville! I spent a few summers camping in the wilderness surrounding it. (way long ago when dinosaurs roamed!)

MellonFriend and MadHouse like this.
  19. Fastowl

Fastowl New Member

Sep 25, 2020
    Texas
    Well Boers4Ever, we live a bit west of you in the Texas Hill Country and it was 30 degrees and snowing at noon today. Of course it is up to a whopping 33 degrees now and it is all melted. So it does snow in Texas in a number of places. Just not much.

20. Boers4ever

Jun 28, 2020
    East Texas
    Wow! That just shows how crazy Texas weather can be! We are hoping for a little snow this year. Maybe even some on Christmas! That’s only happened once in my life and when it did we lost all power Christmas morning. Kinda worth it though lol