First snow of the season!

Discussion in 'Photogenic' started by MadHouse, Oct 21, 2020.

1. JBrassard

JBrassard New Member

Aug 21, 2019
    Danville Vt
    Great pictures, love the story. Thought I was the only one with a boardwalk for “ daboys”

2. Debra P

Debra P Active Member

May 8, 2019
    Rhode house
    MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.

3. Debra P

Debra P Active Member

May 8, 2019
    Rhode house
    You want snow yikes I wish I lived in Texas! We lived in San Antonio while my husband was in the service..I remember the weather was pretty much sunny daily..I despise the snow ️ and a couple days from now it's going to be 60 degrees again. We had THE BEST WINTER last year no snow

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.
  4. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

Aww, thanks!!
    We live in Manitoba, Canada, which is north of Minnesota/N Dakota.

Debra P and Moers kiko boars like this.
  5. Debra P

Debra P Active Member

May 8, 2019
    Rhode house
    Wow, then you must get plenty of snow my goats hate the snow so we make paths for our spoiled little goats. One of the best things we bought I could be do without now is the water heater! All I used to doing is constantly break up the water because the minute I did it right away more ice. Last winter spoiled us, not one inch of snow

Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.
  6. MadHouse

I bring hot water, and replace the cold water. The buckets sit in home made thermal boxes. We even made wooden lids with holes, so the Nubian wouldn get wet ears.
    I clear the snow off their platforms and we snowblow when it’s a lot of snow.

7. GodsGarden

GodsGarden Active Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Colorado
    Aww, that is so sweet, wooden lids so they don't get their ears wet. And such a good idea! Like special cups for your goats. :) Obviously I don't have to worry about that but it had once crossed my mind when seeing a long eared goat drinking. I always feel a little bad when my girls that have beards drink and then their beards freeze solid.

Feira426, GoofyGoat, Debra P and 3 others like this.
  8. Debra P

Debra P Active Member

May 8, 2019
    Rhode house
    What a good idea for Nubians I believe you all know I just rescued me goats,. We have 13 now, down from 21 years ago and couldn't love each one more, now that my Rose has gone I have two more Nubians. My saanan Stella has the waddles and a long beard. After she's fine with her alphabet soaked pellets, that's when she wanted us to sit down and let her lick and lick us ❣️with her green beard

Last edited: Nov 2, 2020
    Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.
  9. Debra P

Debra P Active Member

May 8, 2019
    Rhode house
    This is a picture that my husband took Stella has fallen in love ❣️ Stella follows jack everywhere, may I ask a question? I started giving Stella some soaked alfalfa pellets and a cup of grain so that she would gain weight. In the spring after she shed her winter coat I noticed her ribs showing,that's when I wanted to put some more weight on her, she's my oldest girl now that Rose has goneyup a I still can't believe she's not here anymore. Now that it's cold out, Stella has some good weight on her now. But it seems that my older goats get mites every winter, what do you all use for mites! I noticed that stella has tons of lick marks, looks like she's constantly scratching, just wondering what you all use for mites. My oldest BEAUTIFUL BOY was named Butt Head, never had a name just black goat so I noticed he certainly was the alpha as I got to know him, he was 17 when I noticed he didn't come out for hay, that day I gave him vitamin B complex, and he eventually got up but didn't want hay, I put him where we can't now, he enjoyed the grass but the next day he couldn't go up, all he wanted was for me to sit with his head in my lap. The one time I have to get up to feed the others, he called from me until I sat down with him and his head went right back into my lap. Just posted Stella and Butt Heads picture, the picture with Butt Head was literally the days I fell for goats❣️❤️ and that started me rescuing other's that were no longer wanted it's just awful knowing some aren't cared for likely I try caring for mine, just wondering what age goats usually live too. My youngest are four years old

Attached Files:

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  10. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mites or lice? Mites I use injectable Ivomec. For lice I use Cylence.

11. MadHouse

That’s great that you got weight on her!
    Like Ksalvagno said, it could be lice or mites. Lice you can see moving around, mites cause scabs. When I find scabs and the goat is scratching more than normal I use ivermectin cattle pour-on. My first time with mites took a long time to get rid of them, so now I act fast.
    I am glad you rescue goats! So nice for them to come to a place where they are loved!
    Is Butt Head ok now?