First snow of the season!

Discussion in 'Photogenic' started by MadHouse, Oct 21, 2020.

1. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

Thanks! The animals like it!

2. MadHouse

She is possibly part cuckoo maran, that’s as far as our guessing went. She is the cutest, sweetest pet chicken one could want! She has recovered from her prolapse. Yay!

3. GodsGarden

GodsGarden Active Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Colorado
    Nice pictures of snow. I'm always surprised at how well some ducks do in snow, and seem to love it!

And I have questions about that barn MadHouse, lol. Is there a thread on it already that I missed? Do the goats climb down? Is there a sunning area? And May is supper cute, I want to rub my hands on her fluffy belly.

Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.
  4. MadHouse

Hi, this was what it looked like last winter:
    https://www.thegoatspot.net/threads/showcasing-our-barn-part-1.209533/
    https://www.thegoatspot.net/threads/showcasing-our-barn-part-2.209535/
    Now I only have 4 goats, so the girls have the whole right side and the whole balcony. That’s where they warm themselves in the sun. The buck gets both sides when they have to be indoors in the daytime, and Coco the wether joins the girls. (He mostly just eats his breakfast and supper on the boy side, then returns) Yes, they climb up and down, especially Jeffrey the buckaroo. He can get some of his antsy pants energy out, on those cold days, running up and down.
    Thanks for the compliment about May! :inlove:
    This spring the chickens will move to a new seperate coop.

GoofyGoat and toth boer goats like this.
  5. GodsGarden

GodsGarden Active Member

Feb 6, 2015
    Colorado
    Thank you! I'm certainly going to spend some time looking at all those pictures when I have some more time. I quickly skimmed them and I think it is Coco in the second picture? but super cute him poking his head out. Love the layers. I've always wanted to put shelves for my girls to jump up on or hide underneath. Bit hard because they are bigger and I don't have tons of room for that with feeders and waters. Good work!

6. MadHouse

Thanks! Yes, it’s always the juggle, where to put water, feeders, minerals, when you have ramps. The poop comes tumbling down. I had to move things a few times.

7. MadHouse

Yes, that was him as a youngster.

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  8. MadHouse

Hey, thanks! I JUST put it there!

9. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    I LIKE IT! AWESOME! YOU BOTH ARE LOOKING GOOD!

toth boer goats and Iluvlilly! like this.
  10. MadHouse

Thanks! :cooldude::cool:

11. MadHouse

It is the time of the arctic high pressure sysyem. We are experiencing extreme cold temperatures (-26 F, tonight’s forecast -33F), as we do once or twice every winter. At least the sun is coming out today. Yesterday it was freaking cold but cloudy. I was so worried, I had a hard time sleeping. But, all is ok this am, goats are furiously eating hay, bucky still has his tail up, Willow is wearing a fleece vest over top of her sweater, and she’s in heat of all things! May and Coco are puffy clouds, looking for more beet pulp from my cold hands.
    Off to take more hot water out.

12. Caileigh Jane Smith

Caileigh Jane Smith Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2019
    Missouri, USA
    Whew! That is brutally cold! Hope you get at least a few minutes indoors to thaw out in between caring for your critters.
    I joke that the worse the weather is, the more time I spend outside.

13. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

Woo we that's cold :eek:. We are getting our warmest weather we've had in months today. Highs in the low sixties.

14. Moers kiko boars

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Be sure and watch their eyes. In that cold a temp. K? And dont send that crude to us. Tonight we are supposed to have a cold front bringing snow and that frigid air in. YUK! Getting the heat.lamps ready. 1 per barn..just to keep the super cold off the babies.

GoofyGoat, Iluvlilly! and MadHouse like this.
  15. MadHouse

Yes, more times going out to check on everyone, that’s for sure.
    I am looking at their eyes. Jeffrey got pink eye last Friday, so I am checking them all the time. I have the head holder rigged up in the milk room. Turn the heater on, do chores, then after some time, I take him in to do his eye treatment. It’s a challenge, with a doe in heat he has to walk past. So far so good, his eye is almost all back to normal.
    Heat lamps for the chickens are on until the sun warms the place up more.
    I hope you are all staying warm! Nice to get warm weather in Middle Earth, @MellonFriend !

16. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

This may sound weird. But please send South Africa some of your snow. We had our last Snow storm in September of 1982. I was 6 years old. Because ofvthe cyclone that hit Mozambique over the weekend it has rained here daily.

17. Moers kiko boars

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    I would be thrilled to send you our snow! All of it. Just so you would smile & enjoy it!

GoofyGoat, MadHouse and Iluvlilly! like this.
  18. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

@Moers kiko boars when can I expect the first consignment. I would happily take all your snow. I dont know how all my rescues would take it but it sure beats constant water. I love rain. Dont get me wrong but I think Gizmo is cursing this weather the most

19. Moers kiko boars

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    We are supposed to get it tonight..ill go out and ask for it to head over to you next. It can gather more moisture over the ocean. So it can really be full of snow for you! Maybe with all that.area..at least a few days?

MadHouse and Iluvlilly! like this.