First snow of the season!

Discussion in 'Photogenic' started by MadHouse, Oct 21, 2020.

1. MellonFriend

MellonFriend Well-Known Member

It thunder stormed last night and the told me at the feed store that if it thunderstorms in January, seven to ten days later there will be snow and that sure enough in the farmers almanac there is snow predicted. If we get any more I'll gladly send it all to you @Tanya

2. Caileigh Jane Smith

Caileigh Jane Smith Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2019
    Missouri, USA
    Huh...we had a thunderstorm yesterday. So unusual for January. It has been much warmer than normal. Rain instead of snow. So much mud!

3. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    We had a Thunderstorm on Sunday night. We are supposed to get a bad winter storm tonight. Ill look at the almanac to see about next week.

4. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

One more arctic night for us tonight. Handed out more beet pulp and nearly got my fingers bitten off!
    Good luck with your storm tonight. Batten up the hatches!

5. Moers kiko boars

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    You also! Are temps are dropping. I shut the human door on the birthing barn. Only the two small goat doors are open. I put fresh straw in the small barn and the birthing pods.
    So all Moms & kids have thick fresh straw..and can go out to eat hay till it snows. If it keeps dropping..ill turn the heat lamps on.
    Take care.

6. MadHouse

I hope you and your animals got through the storm ok!
    The barn was so cold this morning, I opened the milk room door and rolled the heater out to try and warm up the place. Gave the goats all kinds of hay, to keep them eating.

7. Moers kiko boars

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    All mine are doing well. The wind was really sharp and strong today. The temps are on the rise..poor babies. They freeze for 2 days and nights. Then it thunderstorms and gets in the 50s. Its rough on their little systems.
    How are alk you goats & chickens? Did it get any warmer?

Iluvlilly! and GoofyGoat like this.
  8. MadHouse

Oh good! You are right, the jumps in temperature are tough too!
    Thunderstorms! That’s crazy!
    Mine are all doing well too! It was hard on them, but the clouds are making a blanket over the sky tonight and warmer temps coming. (Forecast 21* F by Saturday)
    The chickens were in a sauna every night (preheated insulated mini coop) at 32* F.
    Everyone gets extra garlic, people, goats and chickens.

9. Moers kiko boars

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Well. Im still waiting for the halter either on uou or cyndi..while the other runs the contraption to move a downed goat!:waiting::waiting::waiting:

Iluvlilly!, MadHouse and GoofyGoat like this.
  10. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    I still want pictures too :)
    When we had our ranch in Colorado I put skylights in the barn that I could shutter closed at night. (think thick plexiglass sheet with plywood on hinges and latch to lock closed) it really helped heat up the barn during the day and after I closed them right before sundown it trapped the heat in. I found my barn stayed about 20-25* warmer. It really made a big difference even on cloudy days the extra light was nice.

You’re doing amazing. How’d Cyndi like being kicked out for a chicken? You’ve got a great partner if that’s tolerated. My ex didn’t like it when kids and critters came first...and he still wonders why he’s my ex lol ;)

11. MadHouse

@Moers kiko boars and @GoofyGoat I am still ordering the sling and she wants to get pulleys, so it will take a little while, before you see me in a halter, slung up suspended from a rope!

12. MadHouse

After this cold spell I have to look at something to cover the clear parts at night. With global warming, weather will likely just get more extreme. Probably something from the outside. First I thought heavy curtains or styrofoam on the inside, but with goats... too risky.
    Thanks! Cyndi’s not as bad off with the allergy with this particular chicken (the last one constantly preened itself), so she can be in the house without a mask now. I am so lucky, I have the best partner in the world. Luckily she thinks the same about me. :) I totally get it about the ex!

13. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

Ugh. And here we have more rain. And flooding and rain. I love rain. But please can I have some sun....

14. Moers kiko boars

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Well...I guess:waiting:ill have to wait then. ..Between you 2 & Apple Dapple....Im learning patience. ....well trying too ???? Lol lol

15. Justaffagirl

Justaffagirl Member

Jan 25, 2021
    Hewitt,texas
  16. MadHouse

It is here, the second arctic high pressure system of this winter. The next 6 nights’ lows are forecast below -20 to -27*F and days not going above -8*F, but full sun every day.
    To try and keep the goats warm enough I have added a heat lamp to the girls stall. Willow has a new fleece sweater.
    She is currently lying in her bed with her Cocopuff, face by the heatlamp, looking very content and chewing cud.
    The worry about a cold Willow won out over the worry about the heat lamp danger.
    I will look out the window a few times through the night.
    My buck came outside with me today to get brushed (he got to eat yummies), and a run around the yard. He actually did some happy dance moves.
    I wish all of us farmers all the best through this polar freeze. I know the north eastern states are getting this as well.

17. Moers kiko boars

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Well its even comeing to Oklahoma. Starting Tuesday our days will be in the 20s..the nights teens &single digits. No sun..possible rain, sleet, snow mix. Off and on for a week!:omg: Apple Dapples udder is almost full. So I told her this weekend...get those wee ones OUT! Ill put them in a warm pod, heat lamp & sweaters! Just...dont kid...next week!.

Iluvlilly!, GoofyGoat and MadHouse like this.
  18. MadHouse

I hope Apple Dapple is a good listener!

19. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    We’re going to be getting it too. Highs in the thirties lows in the teens..
    I hope Apple doesn’t make you bring her in to kid... I’d hate to kid in those temps...I’ll pray she goes Saturday night for you!
    Brrr this is one system I’m NOT looking forward to and I like cold weather.

20. Moers kiko boars

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    We are all going to be in a huddle with our goats! Nobody will want to go outside!:bighug: