First snow of the season!

Discussion in 'Photogenic' started by MadHouse, Oct 21, 2020.

1. Yay for everyone so far! Yep, sunbathing is an activity for the goats here too. When it's cloudy they look to me all sad and I go, "I didn't order the weather..." I gotta say, with such a long stretch of frigid, I never got used to it. It has been brutal! But the sun is out today! Always a celebration :)

Also, we found out our barn is a consistent 5 degrees colder year round inside than out :( Gah! Pulling my hair out! It has been rough, but we plan on making a warmer barn this year, and thanking our lucky stars the goats made it through.

Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.
  2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California

3. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

I wonder if the insulated walls keep the night’s cold in. Does it have windows to warm up from the sun during the day?
    I am soo glad your goats made it through the long deep freeze.

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  4. Yes, we are thinking the same thing. The shed door faces the southwest. The sun barely makes it to the inside until the last hour of the afternoon before the west sun sets. We put in a giant double-paned tempered glass window looking out to the river on the back of the shed before we had goats, which is beautiful, but that also does not receive direct sunlight. I know exactly how to face our new shelter to take advantage of the winter sun and keep them out of the wind. Sometimes you don't know until you know? I knew our shed wasn't ideal in it's placement, so we added wind blocks along the north and west sides.

Grrr. Also, I will admit my deep bedding has failed. Earlier this winter I was certain I could feel some warmth emanating from the litter, but after this cold snap I discovered the urine has turned into solid ice blocks under the straw! I don't think concrete flooring helps, either. I might scrap deep bedding and clean it out regularly. I spent a little time each day this week yanking out large chunks of frozen solid ammonia, like a mad woman. It's a mess. My muck pile is giant, and I still have a lot of mucking out to do still. Now I know. We also wonder if that contributes to it being cold. Honestly, I feel a little defeated about all the effort we put into making them a good home this summer, only to see it fail. BUT! I am reminded that is the life of the farmer. I have to be willing to be flexible, and learn from my mistakes. It just feels like a lot of learning lately.

Also, I just realized I posted this to the public forum in my morning groggy state, and I don't care lol. I hope someone can learn from my mistakes :)

5. MadHouse

If it makes you feel any better, here in Manitoba in my barn, the deep litter has not worked as in composting and keeping it warm either for the last 3 winters. But I am pretty sure it works to keep the animals off the ground, I can’t even clean it out if I wanted to , it is that frozen, and I definitely can’t put down 12 inches of straw repeatedly, so I just make sure the top layer is fres-ish and dry.
    We are still working on improving our barn, keeping in mind that in the summer we also don’t want it to be crazy hot in there. With climate change it is a challenge! The temperature range is getting wider within the seasons. One would have to try and get a compromise for the building.
    We will just Keep working on it! It probably will never be perfect.

Moers kiko boars and Jubillee like this.
  6. That is wisdom at it's finest! I'll just keep cleaning out some old layers and adding dry straw and know that my part time job this summer will be turning the giant compost piles hahaha! :omg:
    Hubby and I joked I found my calling with creating compost. Garden should be set up for success this year ;)

7. MadHouse

If you have chickens, they would be more than happy to turn it for you, or rather scrape the pile down, and you rake it back up.

8. Ugh chickens and the compost. I put bedding in a nice neat pile, our chickens have it spread over the yard in a matter of hours :bonk:(doh):heehee:

9. Yes, our chickens are also more than happy to make more of a mess. When I first found them laying eggs in the goat's dog kennel bedded with straw--coziest spot in the goat house--this summer I went to war parading them out of there, then gave up the futile struggle. Last check of the night is collecting an egg or two from in there. (blush)

10. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Aww the beauty of livestocks perfect ways to work..all against the human designs! (rofl):shrug:(rofl):shrug:
    It all works! Just not our way. ! You are correct..we bend one way for winter..and the other for summer! I have two sheds just for that reason. But we all learn & do whats best for us. And shareing our biggest problems helps others learn! No mistakes..just learning! (shy)

11. MadHouse

I cracked up laughing at that!
    So true!
    Maybe it’s us, not flexible enough...
    I know the feeling! My chickens dug holes in the deep winter bedding, down to the ammonia laden bottom! That’s when I went to war, or rather kept the gates locked. :mad: They loved it though! Ha!

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California