The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a young herd and many of them have never birthed before. Helen, was the first one to give birth and it appears that she had a stillborn. That was last night but now she just lays in her birthing pen by herself, she has eaten a little bit of hay and grain and a little bit to drink but she stood up only once. I thought maybe she is just tired but now I'm worried she may be depressed, she's not acting just tired but she doesn't seem to be focusing on anything. Almost like she's in shock but I don't know what to do for her, Help!

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
Poor girl. Goats definitely mourn for their babies. When one of mine lost her first kids, I sat with her a lot the next day because she refused to go out and join the other goats. She just laid with her face toward a wall and wouldn't move.

That said, it's important to make sure nothing more serious is going on. Have you bounced her belly to make sure there aren't more kids in there? Do you know if she passed the placenta? Make sure her temperature is normal and there is no unusual smell to her discharge. If everything looks ok then it's probably normal grieving and she will get over it in the next day or two.

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
Get her temp ASAP...check her lower inner lids for color..you want to see deep pink to red...check for placenta...need to be sure more is not going on as Damfino suggested

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi guys, she did pass the placenta pretty soon after she gave birth to her baby. I bounced her belly and I didn't feel another baby. There is no foul smell to her at all just the smell of goat birth. She seems to be eating a little more than yesterday but she still keeps to her pen so hopefully she will rejoin the herd soon. Thank you for all the advice!

·
Registered
30,603 Posts
I agree... B complex can help quite a bit..I would also get her temp...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts