The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me, that is. Our milker is in heat. Peeing, buck rag eating (well, mouthing), reduced milk production, hunching, irritable beast heat (mostly irritable at my nine year old daughter). Took her to the breeder today, and she wasn't flirting with the boys yet, and if I guess right, her previous heat was 2-3 days long. The boys were definitely interested in her though. I thought she might have been in strong heat on the 5th, possibly started on the 3rd, so this is right in line for a normal cycle. She was not much of a flagger last time. I am pretty proud of myself for spotting it last time (only have had the doelings since June, and the milker was added in early August), and rightly gauging that to be a heat cycle.

Please keep me in mind or prayers, as I just want this breeding to take place. I don't like flying by the seat of my pants like these does seem to like. Playing the game of watch the doe's backside is getting boring. Plus she resents me having to lift her tail to check things out. She has already been patient enough with this newbie to dairy goats learning stuff like trimming feet (I did used to trim my horses' feet, so this was a piece of cake), milking, and deworming.

So far, she has not hit the wet discharge stage like she did last cycle. She has just had the stickier, harder stuff in minuscule amounts. The same day she was doing that last cycle, Ruby was mounting Tulip and the world was crazy. It already seems Ruby is in sync with Bree heat wise, and ragingly so. She is a big time flagger, little Ruby girl, though due to being an May baby, she will probably have to wait for next fall to be bred (sweetest temperament too, she is my pick when we got the doelings). Tulip seems to have a bit more sense and isn't a raging ball of hormones right now, unlike the other two.

Right now, I am hoping I wake up in the morning to a ready to go Bree.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
i just took a buck up to a neighbor who has 6 does all in heat. he bred 2 but the other ones weren't quite ready so he gets to go back tomorrow, i'll bet he'll be easier to get in the truck tomorrow.LOL

·
~Crazy Goat Lady~
29,202 Posts
i just took a buck up to a neighbor who has 6 does all in heat. he bred 2 but the other ones weren't quite ready so he gets to go back tomorrow, i'll bet he'll be easier to get in the truck tomorrow.LOL
LOL!! Oh I'm sure he will hop right in all ready! ROFL!!

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
She is acting like a zombie today. My daughter, whom she normally tries to dominate, was her favorite person. She stood there for easily thirty minutes, just letting her scratch her head and shoulders. If my daughter let up, she would nose her to get more cuddles. The baby girls were grazing nearby, and she was content to get cuddles and ignore the grass. She is definitely more swollen, crusty on the end of her tail, and was straightening and arching her back when smelling the buck rag, plus peeing. Not a flagger, it appears. She definitely was chasing the girls off of the buck rag (I set it on a big piece of capstone out in our pasture, where my daughter and I were sitting). She kept picking it up and putting it down. The rest of the time the doelings annoy her, but she usually doesn't get into head butting with them. Today she was head butting and attempting to bite the five month old Tulip (who chose today to enter the hormonal fray with the other two).

Since she was not interested in the buck yesterday, we are going back tonight. He sure was interested in her ( their other bucks showed the same enthusiasm). Hopefully the feeling is mutual tonight.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I took her over today. Apparently, my girl is one with longish heat cycles. She was giving him mixed signals, and he did "get things done" once. She will be going back over tomorrow morning for another date. All the bucks (at least five or six boys) were even more excited to see her than last time. Lots of tongues out this time.

And apparently, even though last heat was detectable, her not flagging was a light heat (though all the other stuff was there). Just an hour or so ago, she started flagging. She is peeing all the time (and surprisingly, gave an almost normal amount of milk in spite of her copious urination).

Oh the fun of learning this stuff. The buck was behaving very well, she just wasn't fully ready.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Buck successfully mounted her again today, even though she would not stand still. Apparently, when she conceived last fall, they weren't certain if she took then either, because she wouldn't stand still for that buck. Maybe this girl is just that way with boys. Anyway, the buck got his job done at least once last night, and once today. And apparently I have a doe here who has a decent length heat, having been showing signs since at least Tuesday morning.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts