The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my darling little buck, and am ready to breed the girls. I know that there were specific dates I needed to give them their Bose and CD&T during their last pregnancies. Are there things I need to do/give them at a specific time pre-breeding and during the early pregnancy? I am working at weaning their kids right now, and figure we'll breed by November. Would love any wisdom you can share.

Thank you!

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I learned through a thread here not to long ago, don't give the BoSe to the bucks right before breeding... It does something with their sperm...? The does you can do anytime, and the CDT shot should be given a month before kidding for it to have any affect on the kids...

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
I would do the BoSe and the CD&T shots to the does a month before kidding so the kids absorb both of those and are good to go until they get older.
It's said that BoSe will slow down the bucks sperm motility if it is given sooner than 40 days before breeding.

If they need copper, give them copper too, anytime they need it. And make sure they have loose minerals out at all times.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I would do the BoSe and the CD&T shots to the does a month before kidding so the kids absorb both of those and are good to go until they get older. It's said that BoSe will slow down the bucks sperm motility if it is given sooner than 40 days before breeding. If they need copper, give them copper too, anytime they need it. And make sure they have loose minerals out at all times.
I don't do BoSe shots, so could I do the same with a selenium vit e gel? Just curious. On the directions it says to give it once a month...

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have two nigerian dwarf girls... they are within weeks of being a year old. I have heard many different opinions... I was told I should wait until they were 18 months old to breed them.. others say why am I waiting so long... I just got a male, but have not put them in together. What regular practice does everyone else do???

Thanks so much!

They are good size. Just as big as the 2 year old buck I picked up...
Rand Hupper
lilsoftkidswear

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
When they hit 60% of adult weight, and they are still growing good (not stunted) is when I breed them. 60% applies to all goats. So if they are already adult size, breed them now. It's more harm than good waiting too long.

·
Banned
5,944 Posts
I have two nigerian dwarf girls... they are within weeks of being a year old. I have heard many different opinions... I was told I should wait until they were 18 months old to breed them.. others say why am I waiting so long... I just got a male, but have not put them in together. What regular practice does everyone else do???

Thanks so much!
You can safely breed them when they are about 60% of their projected adult weight. The advantage of waiting until they are about 18 months old is that they are more mature so they are not as likely to flip out when this little wet, slimy thing starts rooting around for a nipple. Another advantage is that they are older and they don't have as much growing to do themselves, so it tends to not take quite as much feed as it will if they are supporting a kid(s) as well as their own continued growth.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts