The Goat Spot Forum banner

First time breeding goats.

7K views 105 replies 18 participants last post by  TheChewyCorner 
#1 ·
I’m really hoping to breed my Nigerian Dwarf goats this spring, and I know nothing of how I need to breed and prepare for the babies.
What are the things I need to know before breeding and what do I look for when they’re pregnant? Also, what do you all recommend to have on hand when it’s time for them to have their kids?

#2 ·
To breed...just decide when you want kidds to be born. It takes about 5 months..or 140 to 150 days.
You will need a shelter for them to have kids in. Easy to clean, and able to.seperate the moms. I keep my moms & new wee ones separated from the herd for 2 to 3 days. Let them learn who is who.
I pull the buck away from all girls after he has been with them for 3 months. My bucks.live in a seperate.area. They only are part of the herd 3 months of the year.
There are several posts on kidding kits. Alot of really neat ideas on everything.

#4 ·
When I first started goats I read a lot from Fias Co Farm. That's a good place to start.

In short to prepare before breeding: make sure goats are healthy and are in good condition.
Looking for when pregnant: are you asking for signs of pregnancy? Missing a heat cycle is a good way. You can blood test too. Growing an udder for first freshener. Getting very fat. Lol
Have a kidding stall. Fias Co Farm has a very extensive kidding kit list. I have one and I can post it tomorrow. I also like to have an area inside for kids if I have to bottle feed or it gets so cold outside that kids would be in danger.

#18 ·
When I first started goats I read a lot from Fias Co Farm. That's a good place to start.

In short to prepare before breeding: make sure goats are healthy and are in good condition.
Looking for when pregnant: are you asking for signs of pregnancy? Missing a heat cycle is a good way. You can blood test too. Growing an udder for first freshener. Getting very fat. Lol
Have a kidding stall. Fias Co Farm has a very extensive kidding kit list. I have one and I can post it tomorrow. I also like to have an area inside for kids if I have to bottle feed or it gets so cold outside that kids would be in danger.
I would love that kidding list you use so that I can get the things I need before the kids arrive.

#11 ·
I would recommend getting the book, Holistic Goat Care by Gianaclis Caldwell. This book has been so helpful to me as a beginner. Even if you are not interested in holistic care, she really covers all aspects of health and general care, breeding, kidding etc. It goes over pretty much everything you need to know. It's easy to read, lots of pictures. ;) Read it cover to cover and you will be much better prepared.

There's so much to learn when raising goats that it would be impossible for us to tell you everything you need to do right in order to raise healthy goats. My best advice is to research as much as you can. Read old threads, watch YouTube videos and read books, and of course ask questions (which looks like you already gotten down (thumbup)). I've found it very helpful to keep a computer file of useful goat information so that whenever I find out something I want to remember, I just copy and paste it onto that document so that I will be able to find the information when I need it. Good luck to you in your goat raising adventures!

#14 ·
I would recommend getting the book, Holistic Goat Care by Gianaclis Caldwell. This book has been so helpful to me as a beginner. Even if you are not interested in holistic care, she really covers all aspects of health and general care, breeding, kidding etc. It goes over pretty much everything you need to know. It's easy to read, lots of pictures. ;) Read it cover to cover and you will be much better prepared.

There's so much to learn when raising goats that it would be impossible for us to tell you everything you need to do right in order to raise healthy goats. My best advice is to research as much as you can. Read old threads, watch YouTube videos and read books, and of course ask questions (which looks like you already gotten down (thumbup)). I've found it very helpful to keep a computer file of useful goat information so that whenever I find out something I want to remember, I just copy and paste it onto that document so that I will be able to find the information when I need it. Good luck to you in your goat raising adventures!
Thank you so much, MellonFriend! I will look into that book for sure!

#19 ·
I raise Nigerian Dwarfs too. I don’t breed my girls until they’re 18 months old. I’ve found they’re mature enough and big enough by then.
There’s a lot of information out there but a lot of it is outdated like Fiaso farm.
The Storey book on raising dairy goats is good. I find most of the best information is right here on TGS.
As far as preparing, before breeding I’d get a fecal to make sure your doe is worm and coccidia free. Trim up her hooves and make sure she’s single teated (in nigies you don’t want extras) make sure she’s got a good body score, not fat, not thin. Check for the big three CAE,CL, Johnies.
I take my girls on dates with the buck. When they’re showing signs of being in heat they go in for 24 hours, then 5 days later they’ll go in again if they’re showing heat signs again.
Wait 17-22 days to see if they’re in heat again if they are, back to the buck. If not, wait 10 days and pull blood for a pregnancy test if you want.
3 months after breeding, another fecal check.
4 th month, final hoof trim before kidding and CDT
4.5 month give calcium gummies and raspberry leaves daily and prep kidding kit.
4.75 months start pulling hair out from excitement And give one cup grain daily
5 months...happy kidding!
Day after kidding, worm if needed And start upping grain for milk production And play with kids :)

#21 ·
I raise Nigerian Dwarfs too. I don't breed my girls until they're 18 months old. I've found they're mature enough and big enough by then.
There's a lot of information out there but a lot of it is outdated like Fiaso farm.
The Storey book on raising dairy goats is good. I find most of the best information is right here on TGS.
As far as preparing, before breeding I'd get a fecal to make sure your doe is worm and coccidia free. Trim up her hooves and make sure she's single teated (in nigies you don't want extras) make sure she's got a good body score, not fat, not thin. Check for the big three CAE,CL, Johnies.
I take my girls on dates with the buck. When they're showing signs of being in heat they go in for 24 hours, then 5 days later they'll go in again if they're showing heat signs again.
Wait 17-22 days to see if they're in heat again if they are, back to the buck. If not, wait 10 days and pull blood for a pregnancy test if you want.
3 months after breeding, another fecal check.
4 th month, final hoof trim before kidding and CDT
4.5 month give calcium gummies and raspberry leaves daily and prep kidding kit.
4.75 months start pulling hair out from excitement And give one cup grain daily
5 months...happy kidding!
Day after kidding, worm if needed And start upping grain for milk production And play with kids :)
Thank you so, so much!!! I really appreciate your help and giving me month by month steps!!!

#23 · (Edited)
I did a lot of research to put together my kidding kit and I thought I'd share with you what I have. I haven't kidded yet so I'll let you know if there was anything I wish I had, but I feel very confident with what I put together. I like to have it printed out with boxes I can check in pencil so that if I run out of something I can erase the check mark and know that I need to get more.;)

Tools and Supplies

□ Puppy Pee Pads

□ Dental Floss

□ Towels

□ Surgical scissors

□ Disposable gloves

□ OB Gloves

□ Thermometer

□ Collar

□ Lead

□ Tubing Syringe (Stomach tube & 60cc syringe)

□ Scale (Luggage scale and one of those reusable grocery bags)

□ 3cc syringes

□ Needles

□ Cotton Balls

□ Paper Towels

□ Baby Wipes

□ Empty Feed Bags (4 per doe)

□ Flashlight

□ Fingernail Clippers

□ Nasal Bulb

□ 1ml Oral syringes

□ Kid Sweaters

□ Ketone Strips

□ Drenching syringe

□ Pill Bottle for iodine dip

□ Small Bucket for warm water

□ Plastic Soda Bottles

□ Nipples (2 different types)

□ Vet's Phone Number

□ Favorite Goat Care Book

□ Lamb Puller

□ Trash Bags

□ Mastitis indicators

A humane way to dispatch a doe or a kid if the worst would happen

Laundry Basket or box to put kids in while attending Mom

Something to collect extra Colostrum

Surgical scalpel

Medicine Etc.

□ 7% Iodine Solution

□ Lubricant (J-lube, mineral oil, KY liquid)

□ Nutri-Drench or Power Punch

□ Electrolytes

□ Probiotic Paste

□ Black Strap Molasses

□ Colostrum Replacer

□ Pepto Bismol or Kaopectate

□ Baking Soda

□ Penicillin (Procaine G)

□ Antibacterial Soap or Betadine

□ BoSe (Rx)

□ Banamine (Rx)

□ CMPK Gel

Vitamin B Complex

Vitamin E Capsules

#24 ·
I did a lot of research to put together my kidding kit and I thought I'd share with you what I have. I haven't kidded yet so I'll let you know if there was anything I wish I had, but I feel very confident with what I put together. I like to have it printed out with boxes I can check in pencil so that if I run out of something I can erase the check mark and know that I need to get more.;)

Tools and Supplies

□ Puppy Pee Pads

□ Dental Floss

□ Towels

□ Surgical scissors

□ Disposable gloves

□ OB Gloves

□ Thermometer

□ Collar

□ Lead

□ Tubing Syringe (Stomach tube & 60cc syringe)

□ Scale (Luggage scale and one of those reusable grocery bags)

□ 3cc syringes

□ Needles

□ Cotton Balls

□ Paper Towels

□ Baby Wipes

□ Empty Feed Bags (4 per doe)

□ Flashlight

□ Fingernail Clippers

□ Nasal Bulb

□ 1ml Oral syringes

□ Kid Sweaters

□ Ketone Strips

□ Drenching syringe

□ Pill Bottle for iodine dip

□ Small Bucket for warm water

□ Plastic Soda Bottles

□ Nipples (2 different types)

□ Vet's Phone Number

□ Favorite Goat Care Book

□ Lamb Puller

□ Trash Bags

□ Mastitis indicators

Medicine Etc.

□ 7% Iodine Solution

□ Lubricant (J-lube, mineral oil, KY liquid)

□ Nutri-Drench or Power Punch

□ Electrolytes

□ Probiotic Paste

□ Black Strap Molasses

□ Colostrum Replacer

□ Pepto Bismol or Kaopectate

□ Baking Soda

□ Penicillin (Procaine G)

□ Antibacterial Soap or Betadine

□ BoSe (Rx)

□ Banamine (Rx)

□ CMPK Gel
Thank you so very much! I appreciate it a lot!!!

#26 ·
The only things I’d add is a humane way to put the doe down and surgical scalpel In case of worst happening and you have to get the kids out now.
Sorry, but it’s a not often mentioned but necessary item. Nobody want to think about it but By being prepared You can at least save the kids if the doe isn’t going to make it.

#29 ·
The only things I'd add is a humane way to put the doe down and surgical scalpel In case of worst happening and you have to get the kids out now.
Sorry, but it's a not often mentioned but necessary item. Nobody want to think about it but By being prepared You can at least save the kids if the doe isn't going to make it.
Okay, thank you.

#30 ·
Add to your list (if you'd like) Vitamin B Complex. and Vitamin E gel caps. They help with Bo-Se. The Vit. E in the Bo-Se is a carrier. The additional Gel Cap helps to kick the Selenium. Just cut the end off the gel cap and squirt into the kid or doe's mouth. A Box or laundry tub to put new kids in while attending the mom. May not need it, but it's good to have handy.
BTW- very good list-

#39 ·
Wow! That is a good list. I don't have much to add and think I might add some from yours to mine. I think these are the only ones on my kidding list that aren't on yours and maybe some thoughts on different things you can use instead.

For absorbent I usually just use paper towels and towels. Feed bags and other things can make to much noise for some does. And puppy pads can smell.
Flashlight – my head lamp, lamp, flashlight. Extra batteries somewhere. Have a place to hang lamp in kidding stall. I love my lamp. Love, love, love it.
Olive oil, in squirt bottle. A good natural lubricant that the mother won't mind if it gets on baby.
Alcohol, I like the little pads that make it easy to wipe down the whole tummy button. :)
Scissors, bandage scissors with blunt end so I can't poke anything, super sharp for cutting.

Soup, unscented and as natural as possible
Warm water in bucket - I keep this bucket where the warm water is for access.
Exam gloves
Hair tie, for me :) Having long hair I need to make sure I can keep it out of the way.

Bottle and nipple - Human baby bottles with taller nipple. My kids have always liked them better.
Thermometer - a human child rectal works very well for goat kids
Blanket: baby(s) and mom. If mom gets worn out and needs help staying warm.
Collar and leash, place a snap on the end of the leash or collar makes it easy to snap mom to fence or somewhere for quick securing.
Cord for assisting birth. Have a soft cotton clothes line.
Heated blanket - Love this for chilled kids. They can lay on it and it gives off heat and mom can keep licking them. Also great to wrap them up in it for a warm. Like having towels fresh out of the dryer yet always there.

Then I like to have a place inside for bottle babies or in case it gets to cold outside at night for newborns. For bottle babies then I don't have to go outside to feed them at night.

Tarp
Crate
Shavings
adjustable dog pen
I place the tarp down on the floor and turn up the edges. Crate goes inside and dog pen around but inside tarp edges. Then down goes the shavings which smell great and are very absorbent. A safe place for kids and they can go in the crate to sleep.

For the med kit you could also consider adding multi vitamins, vit C, and a green drink. I used a human green drink made from vegies and fruits for a doe that went off food.

I place my kidding kit in a tote that I can carry. Stays clean easier and keeps everything more organized then a bag. I also put everything into its own individual bag. Keeps it clean if it is dropped while looking for something else and I only have to clean the bag not the whole individual pieces between kiddings, if it isn't used.

And to finish, don't freak out all the whole long lists, lol. Most of the time you don't even use everything. Kiddings are really fun and such a blessing to see babies born. Hope you have a joy with yours.

#40 ·
Wow! That is a good list. I don't have much to add and think I might add some from yours to mine. I think these are the only ones on my kidding list that aren't on yours and maybe some thoughts on different things you can use instead.

For absorbent I usually just use paper towels and towels. Feed bags and other things can make to much noise for some does. And puppy pads can smell.
Flashlight - my head lamp, lamp, flashlight. Extra batteries somewhere. Have a place to hang lamp in kidding stall. I love my lamp. Love, love, love it.
Olive oil, in squirt bottle. A good natural lubricant that the mother won't mind if it gets on baby.
Alcohol, I like the little pads that make it easy to wipe down the whole tummy button. :)
Scissors, bandage scissors with blunt end so I can't poke anything, super sharp for cutting.

Soup, unscented and as natural as possible
Warm water in bucket - I keep this bucket where the warm water is for access.
Exam gloves
Hair tie, for me :) Having long hair I need to make sure I can keep it out of the way.

Bottle and nipple - Human baby bottles with taller nipple. My kids have always liked them better.
Thermometer - a human child rectal works very well for goat kids
Blanket: baby(s) and mom. If mom gets worn out and needs help staying warm.
Collar and leash, place a snap on the end of the leash or collar makes it easy to snap mom to fence or somewhere for quick securing.
Cord for assisting birth. Have a soft cotton clothes line.
Heated blanket - Love this for chilled kids. They can lay on it and it gives off heat and mom can keep licking them. Also great to wrap them up in it for a warm. Like having towels fresh out of the dryer yet always there.

Then I like to have a place inside for bottle babies or in case it gets to cold outside at night for newborns. For bottle babies then I don't have to go outside to feed them at night.

Tarp
Crate
Shavings
adjustable dog pen
I place the tarp down on the floor and turn up the edges. Crate goes inside and dog pen around but inside tarp edges. Then down goes the shavings which smell great and are very absorbent. A safe place for kids and they can go in the crate to sleep.

For the med kit you could also consider adding multi vitamins, vit C, and a green drink. I used a human green drink made from vegies and fruits for a doe that went off food.

I place my kidding kit in a tote that I can carry. Stays clean easier and keeps everything more organized then a bag. I also put everything into its own individual bag. Keeps it clean if it is dropped while looking for something else and I only have to clean the bag not the whole individual pieces between kiddings, if it isn't used.

And to finish, don't freak out all the whole long lists, lol. Most of the time you don't even use everything. Kiddings are really fun and such a blessing to see babies born. Hope you have a joy with yours.
Thank you so very much!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.