The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wow! That was an experience. I did 3 does and my buck. I feel so bad for my black lamancha she got the worst shave job, realized I didn't even take any pictures cause I did such a bad job. But I learned a lot. Thought I would share pictures and if you have any friendly advice please let me know!! I have a few years until my kids will be showing so I have time to really get the hang of it!
Valentina
Clothing Jeans Shorts Working animal Goat

Valentina
Working animal Dairy cow Terrestrial animal Grass Horn

Matilda
Working animal Bull Dairy cow Plant Terrestrial animal

Matilda
Dog breed Working animal Pet supply Fawn Terrestrial animal

Whiz(my buck)
Plant Tree Goat Working animal Fawn

Attachments

·
Registered
12,823 Posts
Well done ! You did wonderful :) I hope I can do that well when I get up enough guts to try it , lolol
I will have to clip my pregnant does backside areas soon :eek:
Oh do I feel sorry for those girls ;)

·
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well done ! You did wonderful :) I hope I can do that well when I get up enough guts to try it , lolol
I will have to clip my pregnant does backside areas soon :eek:
Oh do I feel sorry for those girls ;)
It was getting hot and they kept itching so incase there were any little bugs less hair is way easier to deal with those issues. They look so different! I didn't give myself time to talk myself out of it. I didn't do my pregnant doe, she is due in a month and I was worried because it took me so long I would stress her... Trickyroo you can totally do it!

·
Registered
26 Posts
So, because I'm SUPER new, can anyone tell me what the reasons are for shaving? Is it a comfort thing? Also, how do the goats handle it? If I used to be a dog groomer, should this be fairly easy? Does anyone have a favorite brand of clippers?

·
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, because I'm SUPER new, can anyone tell me what the reasons are for shaving? Is it a comfort thing? Also, how do the goats handle it? If I used to be a dog groomer, should this be fairly easy? Does anyone have a favorite brand of clippers?
I clipped my girls because it is getting super hot here, they had such thick coats, my kids want to show when they are old enough and clipping is required for showing but I wanted plenty of practice before then. My goats did okay, a little figity but they calmed down as I kept going! I have never clipped any animals so not sure. I have Oyster and they worked great!

·
Registered
577 Posts
Wow it looks great! Looks a heck of a lot better than my first time, lets just say my ag teacher had to re-cut it a little shorter than originally intended lol. I have to start practicing with clipping as soon as I get my Andis or my b-day. The first show I'm showing her in(a state fair mind you!) is going to be two months after I get her home, so I really have no choice but to practice practice practice! Hope I do as well as you did quickly enough :)

·
714 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We were also copper deficient a few months back but they still had a redish tint to thier coats and they had such thick coats I couldn't tell if they were getting better. Shaved of the reddish and they are shiny black underneath.

·
Registered
12,823 Posts
I have a few girls I'm also a little worried about being copper deficient.
I'm getting confidence now about clipping them just thinking about it :)
Can't wait to see how beautiful my girls look !

·
Registered
17,201 Posts
You did good! You can't mess up a clip job if you do it ALL one length, and dont only go against the growth, but go in all directions to get it all even. A lot of people say black is the most unforgiving color when it comes to shaving, but just go over it a lot and in many directions and it will come out perfect. It takes me about 8 minutes to shave 1 goat, but I have a lot of practice in (25+ years) .
So those are some of my tips I have, some more are
brush off hair often to see where you are, and so your not clipping already cut hair
WASH your goat before clipping, so you do not dull your clipper blades with dandruff, dirt and whatever else.
Clea
n the blades often
Oil the blades and wash them after every shave
again, go on all directions
And cool the blades when they get hot.
remember, all hair should be cut one length. So do not use a million guide combs to accomplish a "blended" or "fade" on your goat.
Brush the goat a lot when you are done.

And I am curious to see how you lamancha turned out, we can help you fix it.

Just practice is all it is

·
Registered
17,201 Posts
And I'll add another tip.
When you shave goats, you shave everything, the entire body.
Udder
Face
Ears
Tails, but leave the "paint brush"
Inner legs
Underbelly
Neck
EVERYTHING.

Shave everything, whether or not it is a buck or doe.

·
Registered
17,201 Posts
Another tip.
When doing the hip bone area or any other areas like that , move the skin with your other hand to get it even and also just work your clippers at all angles if you have to.

If you are only using the blades be VERY careful not to cut the skin. If you are using clipper guards/comb attachments you do not need to worry about that, just be careful you don't jab them with the teeth on the clipper attachments.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.