The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a male and female Nigerian dwarf. When she showed signs of labor yesterday, I separated them. It was -20 degrees last night, we had several heat lamps and electric heaters going in the goat pen. I stayed with her until she kidded at 1:20am. She had a full grown still born buckling. It was her first pregnancy. Nothing has changed since then. She is still laying down with the dead baby all cleaned beside her. Should I remove the dead buckling immediately? Is there a chance she has any more to deliver? When do I get her up and milk her? She hasn't passed the placenta yet. Newbie here...I just want to do what is best for her, she seems so sad.

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
I am so sorry for her (and your) loss. Is she still acting like she’s in labor?

Reactions: catharina

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am so sorry for her (and your) loss. Is she still acting like she's in labor?
No, she seems pretty relaxed, but sad. With the -20 temps we are having, it isn't exactly the best time to be having babies I suppose. Heading back out to milk her now and bury the baby (if I can get through frozen ground).

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
I'm so sorry about the buckling. :(
Glad mama is doing well though.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I had a similar thing happen six days ago...so sorry :(. ours was a first time mom (Nubian bred to Nigerian Dwarf buck). We are milking her twice a day, getting about a pint...she is sooo sweet And nibbles and talks to me when I milk her. She seemed confused and was pretty vocal, looking for her baby for about 24 hrs. But now her demeanor is just sweet.

·
Catharina
2,231 Posts
I think it can be several hours before the placenta comes out & sometimes they eat it so you don't know. Milking can help stimulate uterine contractions so that's good. Sorry you lost the buckling.:rose:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts