The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
6,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My doe Caramel kidded 6 weeks ago with triplets. The first fecal after she kidded (2 days later) showed zero eggs. Her poop was clumpy every morning. I worked on adjusting her alfalfa intake, and it sometimes got better, and then worse again. Since kidding, Caramel has craved grass and browse like crazy, and she has consumed at least twice as much grass and browse compared to before kidding every day. That was my other guess for the clumpy poop.
A week after the first fecal I did another fecal, and saw one Nematodirus egg, and that was it.
Meanwhile the clumps continued, sometimes better and sometimes worse.

A week ago Willow, a dry doe, got pudding log poop. I did fecals on her and Caramel. Willow’s was inconclusive to me, I didn’t recognize any worms eggs, but saw some small stuff that I thought could be coccidia.
Caramel’s showed 350 epg Barber pole.
I treated both does with acute doses of LOH parasite formula (4 x a day), essential oils including clove, and tummy tamer (twice a day).
I also gave Willow activated charcoal a couple of times (my other guess for Willow was she ate too many Lilac leaves). Both girls got probiotics every day as well.

Both girls’ stools went back to normal yesterday, and are still firm today. Yahoo!
They are still getting LOH parasite formula 3x a day.

Meanwhile, since yesterday, Caramel, the mom of three, quit eating alfalfa. She won't eat the pellets nor alfalfa leaves nor beet pulp. She will eat the stalks of alfalfa hay, but not with her usual vigour. She eats hay, browse, grain pellets, BOSS, calf manna, oats, and raw beets and celery. Her milk went down by a cup yesterday, and by two cups today.
Also, she has no interest in herbal treat balls. I have to drench her the herbs and oils.
Her poop is normal now. She eats hay and chews cud like a champ. No bloating, her rumen is ok.
I haven’t done another fecal yet, since it has only been a week since I started herbal treatment.

Why is she refusing alfalfa?
Is it normal and to be expected because she is fighting off the worms?

·
Premium Member
8,000 Posts
Oh Caramel…why are you driving momma nuts? A couple questions….
Is she trying to wean the kids? Kicking them off quickly or not letting them nurse much? She might be drying herself off. Some does do that earlier than we think they should. How’s her udder? Any sore spots bruising from aggressive nursing?
What’s her FAMACHA after rest then again after activity? It can vary.
Since she’s eating fresh..try giving her sprigs of oregano. Can you give her some slippery elm? That’s soothing to the throat, intestines and tummy.
This is just off the top of my head, but what’s her temp?

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
6,744 Posts
Prim does this every year where she starts refusing alfalfa after she freshens. I'm not sure, but it speculate it's due to hot weather. Has your weather been hotter recently? Usually I see Prim's milk production go down a bit during these times of alfalfa boycotting. I continue to offer Prim the pellets even when she decides they are gross. Sometimes I think it helps to offer her a bit less than I was trying to feed, but other times that will backfire and it's easier for her to pick them out of the ration. For the duration of her lactation Prim only eats alfalfa on and off.

350EPG isn't that high of a load. Still good you treated her, but to me that's not high enough to cause apatite loss. Hope you can figure this out for her better than I've been able to for Prim!

·
Registered
6,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Oh Caramel…why are you driving momma nuts? A couple questions….
Is she trying to wean the kids? Kicking them off quickly or not letting them nurse much? She might be drying herself off. Some does do that earlier than we think they should. How’s her udder? Any sore spots bruising from aggressive nursing?
What’s her FAMACHA after rest then again after activity? It can vary.
Since she’s eating fresh..try giving her sprigs of oregano. Can you give her some slippery elm? That’s soothing to the throat, intestines and tummy.
I don’t think she is trying to wean the kids. She has been controlling how much they get to nurse from the beginning. No sore spots or bruising on her udder that I noticed. I will check again tonight.
I will also check her FAMACHA at different times.
We don’t have fresh oregano, but we have thyme. I will give thyme a try, and slippery elm.
I will check her temp at milking tonight.
Thanks @GoofyGoat !

·
Registered
6,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Some of the anthelmintic herbs can be drying too- like oregano. Do you have black walnut trees around?

Refusing alfalfa...makes no sense. Are you worried about her? is she acting off? I'd not worry much if everything else seems on the right trajectory.
She has gotten oregano EO, but not fresh.
No black walnut here,
She is not acting off, other than the reduced eating.
Thank you @littleheathens . I am trying not to worry.

·
Registered
6,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Prim does this every year where she starts refusing alfalfa after she freshens. I'm not sure, but it speculate it's due to hot weather. Has your weather been hotter recently? Usually I see Prim's milk production go down a bit during these times of alfalfa boycotting. I continue to offer Prim the pellets even when she decides they are gross. Sometimes I think it helps to offer her a bit less than I was trying to feed, but other times that will backfire and it's easier for her to pick them out of the ration. For the duration of her lactation Prim only eats alfalfa on and off.

350EPG isn't that high of a load. Still good you treated her, but to me that's not high enough to cause apatite loss. Hope you can figure this out for her better than I've been able to for Prim!
Thanks so much @MellonFriend!
Sounds like Caramel is like your Prim.
I remember Prim also loses weight after kidding. So did Caramel.
Our weather hasn’t been bad at all regarding heat.
It is good to hear it was nothing serious with Prim. I hope Caramel gets over her boycott soon.
I have been using veggies and tree hay to keep her busy on the stand. What do you do to buy yourself milking time when Prim refuses alfalfa?

·
Registered
6,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I would do another fecal. It should show a lower number of eggs. If not that may be reason her eating has changed.
Thanks so much!
I think I will do that 10 days after the last fecal. I am still treating her with herbs. I think it takes a bit longer the herbal way.

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
6,744 Posts
Thanks so much @MellonFriend!
Sounds like Caramel is like your Prim.
I remember Prim also loses weight after kidding. So did Caramel.
Our weather hasn’t been bad at all regarding heat.
It is good to hear it was nothing serious with Prim. I hope Caramel gets over her boycott soon.
I have been using veggies and tree hay to keep her busy on the stand. What do you do to buy yourself milking time when Prim refuses alfalfa?
Well, I actually don't really do anything different. Prim is very patient on the stand, a slow eater, and milks out very quickly. She is also an expert at picking the alfalfa out of the mix and she will take her time and leave not a single thing in the dish but alfalfa pellets, so that slows her a bit, but if she gets done before me, she will just stand and wait. 😊

·
Registered
6,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well, I actually don't really do anything different. Prim is very patient on the stand, a slow eater, and milks out very quickly. She is also an expert at picking the alfalfa out of the mix and she will take her time and leave not a single thing in the dish but alfalfa pellets, so that slows her a bit, but if she gets done before me, she will just stand and wait. 😊
That’s lucky! Good girl, Prim!
Caramel got better and doesn’t kick at my hands anymore. She just backs up and looks at me like “This stuff is no good! What else have you got?” She’ll stomp, but I can hang on to her teat and keep doing my job around her shenanigans 😛 . It is just way smoother when she likes all the food.

·
Registered
6,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How’s her udder? Any sore spots bruising from aggressive nursing?
I checked, it all seemed fine.
I gave her the thyme and slippery elm.
Her temp was 103.7*, then 103.6* F
After a day in the sun, I don’t think she has a fever, as they had just come in to the barn. I checked May’s for comparison, and hers was 103.1* F. I’ll check it again in the morning.

·
Super Moderator
35,683 Posts
My doe Nora gets real picky when she comes in heat. Any chance she's cycling?

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
6,744 Posts
My doe Nora gets real picky when she comes in heat. Any chance she's cycling?
Good thought! That absolutely happens with my does too. If she doesn't go back to normal in a few days though, that's probably not it.

·
Premium Member
Raising Quality Show & Commercial Goats
8,340 Posts
How is Caramel today? Any better? I have had hot temps, and I think hormonal changes, have alot to do with my does eating habits. And just between you and me, when those kids bump that udder, wowzie...that looks painful. I understand its how the little says more...but geez, it.pushes the mom off her feet! Wouldnt that get a little sore? 😁

1 - 20 of 86 Posts