The Goat Spot Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
6,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
How is Caramel today? Any better? I have had hot temps, and I think hormonal changes, have alot to do with my does eating habits. And just between you and me, when those kids bump that udder, wowzie...that looks painful. I understand its how the little says more...but geez, it.pushes the mom off her feet! Wouldnt that get a little sore? 😁
Her temp was 101.7 this morning, so that was good.
Her eating habits have not returned to her old way (gobbling everything down).
This is the third day of this. So, she is likely not in heat. She is actually quieter than ever. She is not yelling for her grain time, and before this I almost needed earplugs.
She does eat hay and browse, but is becoming even pickier with her grain ration.

Not sure if she is sore or not, but nothing looks raw or red. The girls aren’t that big yet (20+ pounds).

I am still in the dark about what it is, but hoping it rights itself.

·
Registered
6,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Maybe she knows about inflation and wants to ration for later? 🤔
Seriously- hoping it’s something that she gets over with and gets back to her screaming and yelling for and then gobbling her food for you!
(You sure that’s what you really want? Lol)
Yes, that’s what I want! 😂
Thanks @Boer Mama

·
Registered
6,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
So, just for the record, don’t try and check a goat’s teeth right after you have drenched her with herbal dewormer. Hahaha Her front teeth looked ok though.
And… she ate alfalfa tonight. First she nibbled at the pellets, and when I put alfalfa leaves in front of her, she dove in. 😊 The last 3 days those were not interesting to her.
I hope this is the turn around point.

I am planning on running a fecal on her on Saturday. It might still be a bit early, but I want to see if the herbs have made a difference so far.

·
Registered
6,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
She is still off her eating though.
Now she eats alfalfa, but not her grain, and the vegetables that were great the day before are not to her liking today.🤷‍♀️ Gosh darn it. 🤦‍♀️
I shouldn’t complain though. She eats hay, chews cud and is looking at me for treats. She is definitely not sick. I just want her to gain some weight back, and make milk for the kids and us.
Is that too much to ask, Caramel?
I hope @GoofyGoat is not right, and that she is trying to wean off her kids.
In that case we would be weaned off milk too.

·
Registered
6,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Slip her some fennel or milk thistle and see if you can force her milk supply up 😅

edit: blessed thistle for milk supply
Milk thistle is for liver support. I knew something was bugging me about that 🤷🏼‍♀️
I have given her fennel for a while now. The blesses thistle I don’t have.
Thanks. 😊

·
Registered
6,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
So, this morning Caramel’s milk was down to 2 cups (from 6 cups in the beginning). Just enough for one bottle for Leela. The kids have gotten louder and louder while I milk mom.
And now there was a tiny sore on one teat. I think the very hungry girls have tried harder to get milk.
She ate some of her grain, and alfalfa, but not with any gusto.

Her fecal today showed me that I made a mistake in reading her last fecal. There was a nematodirus egg on there, and relative to that the 11 other eggs were not Barber pole egg sized. What I thought were BP eggs were oocysts. And those went up from 350 to 550 epg.
Is it possible that her drop in food intake and milk production is because of the coccidia?
If you guys don’t think that is the cause, then it must be that she is drying off the kids.
They are 6 weeks old, have grown nicely so far, and are eating a lot of browse now.

I don’t have any meds for coccidia here, and can’t get any until after the weekend.
I will treat her with tummy tamer for now.

·
Registered
6,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I think it's possible for reduced apatite to be caused by coccidia, since they cause stomach damage that could be making her want to not eat. Do you have any clove essential oils? That's good for lowering coccidia too.
Thank you @MellonFriend .
I do have the clove EO, and I already added it to the balls.
I started giving her B-complex last night.
While I am treating her with tummy tamer, should I continue B- complex? (I just remember something about Corid and B-complex not to be given together).
@happybleats ?

Thank you

·
Registered
Kinder Goat Breeder
6,707 Posts
You can continue with the vit. b with Tummy Tamer. The only reason you don't want to do it with corid is because that works by inhibiting thiamin (same as vit. b) which the coccidia need, so if you supplement it during treatment it will counteract the corid. Tummy Tamer works by making their gut undesirable for the coccidia to live in, help flush them out, and settle the goats' tummies.

·
Registered
6,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
You can continue with the vit. b with Tummy Tamer. The only reason you don't want to do it with corid is because that works by inhibiting thiamin (same as vit. b) which the coccidia need, so if you supplement it during treatment it will counteract the corid. Tummy Tamer works by making their gut undesirable for the coccidia to live in, help flush them out, and settle the goats' tummies.
Ok, thanks so much!

21 - 40 of 48 Posts