The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We disbudded my first babies today. It wasn't so bad as I thought, but now I'm wondering if we got it right. I watched a video online (the Goat Mentor), and they held that disbudding iron on for 10-12 seconds. My Rhinehart X-30 instructions said just 3-4 seconds, and then to repeat at 4-5 seconds. We didn't even go that long - the iron just seemed SO hot. We got a "coppery" color on one, but not shiny like in the instructions picture. The other kid's ring looked more black and charred. It just seemed like we were going to get more charred if we kept going.

I have read the "scurs" thread, and see that it looks like we can reburn if we didn't do an adequate job. How soon will I know? I'd like to get it right, but sure don't want to hurt the babies.

Thanks for all the knowledge you share!

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And now the baby boy's (his were the more charred looking rings) rings are all gooey and wound-looking. The little girl's are dry, and look fine. What went wrong here?

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Sounds like you didn't burn the buckling long enough. Rings should be dry. I'd redo him. You have to go deep enough that the center bud pops off easily, leaving a flat surface. If the rings are charred looking rather than copper, you haven't gone long enough. Also, I always spray with blue coat afterward to prevent infection.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
One more thing...I give a small dose of banamine (pain killer) before burning. Helps the little guys a lot. You can give them an aspirin if you don't have anything else.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Poor thing. Thank you. Would you wait until the gooey stuff heals before reburning?

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Agreed. Did you get it done today? How'd it go for you?

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We ended up not redoing him. My father-in-law has been my goat helper, and thinks the ring we got was adequate, and that the goo was from the top where the little horn bud came off. I think he could have been disbudded a few days earlier (we did it on day 8). This little buckling will ultimately go in the freezer, so I guess we can wait it out and see if he's right.
If we did get it wrong, how soon will we know? People wrote in another thread about trimming scurs ... what do they trim with? I thought that the horns would bleed. Is this not the case, if it is just a trim?

·
2,962 Posts
My number one mistake when disbudding kids, especially the bucklings is not burning long enough. You may read to do it 3-5 sec. then again 3-5 secs. but those boys horn buds are tough and it is best be tough and get it done right the first time. Two years now I have had horns grow even after disbudding. So from someone who has been there, burn til you can pop that cap off easily and get a dry burn, like the others said.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Horns and scurs will be noticeable by feel in about 4-6 weeks. Sometimes longer. You can trim them back with hoof trimmers or *****. They may bleed a little, depending on how much you trim. You're usually fine trimming off a half inch or so.

·
Registered
428 Posts
If he is going into the freezer anyway, then I really wouldn't worry about it much unless you are growing him out a long time. I doubt they will grow that much in the time you grow him out to be butchered. When I start breeding for my freezer goats, I don't think I'm going to disbud them at all unless I feel like I need the practice.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you, all! We'll leave him be, and see what happens. And next time around, a longer burn.

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We'll be doing the next set of kids in a few days ... for those of you who burn 10 seconds (or longer), do you do that twice?

·
Registered
17,285 Posts
I go about 5 seconds on one bud, stop, blow on the bud, go for another 5 seconds, blow on it, pop the bud off, and burn across where the bud was, and then burn for another 3-5 seconds. Then repeat on the next bud

Then spray it with Wound Kote or Blue Kote

·
Registered
522 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We disbudded the newest twins today, and re-did the two week old little girl. Went longer, and I think we got it right. Thanks for all of the helpful advice, and thanks for the video!

·
104 Posts
Ingrid, I also have the Rheinhart x-30 and I had the same exact dilemma. This was my first year disbudding. I ended up following the directions that came with it, which like you said say to do it for only 3-4 seconds and then 5-6 seconds on the second bud, or whatever it was. DIDN'T work. I disbudded them all when they were maybe 5-6 days old, so I know I didn't wait too long. They are now all 9 weeks and they ALL have little horns/scurs maybe 1/2-1 inch long that have been clearly apparent for maybe a week or two, but were noticeable a little before that I think. So you will definitely be able to tell at a few months old if it worked. I did it like the instructions said, and they all had little copper rings, but it didn't work. What I heard some other people say they do is they do it for at least 5-6 seconds and wait a few seconds and do it a second time, even if they get a copper ring the first time. I haven't tried that one yet, but considering what I did didn't work, it would take AT LEAST a few times like that, or one much longer burn on each bud. I found a seller for them all and he wants to re-disbud them all...and they are about 9 weeks old now. I assumed they were too old at this point, but he said he looked it up and it can be done. I guess we'll see this Saturday how it goes.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts