The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I've been raising goats about 10 years and have seen and dealt with a lot of things. I raise meat goats mostly for 4-H/FFA kids to show but also for ABGA. Anyway, I had a boer/kiko/nubian cross kid yesterday for the first time with twins. I went to strip her teats and one stripped but then had no milk coming out. I know how to milk; I've shown and milked nubians before. We always strip teats out on new moms and never had this happen. Visually, there appears to be an orfice.

She is 2x2 teated, with the two smaller ones in the front. I can get milk from those but it is slow going. No signs of mastitis or anything. She has a beautiful udder (for a meat goat cross). My friend that breeds mini lamanchas is helping me put together a hand pump milker to relieve some pressure on that side, since the kids don't like the small teat.

Any ideas of suggestions?

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
Well that's frustrating! Does it feel like there is a plug in the teat or knot at the top of the teat or the teat itself feels empty? The only thing I can think of is to run a small diameter tube (cannula sp?) up the teat to see if you can get the milk flowing again. It's so weird that you were able to strip it successfully before it stopped flowing. Good thing she has four functional teats to get the milk out while you figure out the solution. I'm surprised the kids don't favor the small teats.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, the teat has an orifice. I used the cannula on a tube of mastitis treatment. Still no milk coming from the one teat but the other one on that side has some flow. Its just small and the kids don't favor it. The kids did play with bum a little bit at first but got frustrated since there was no milk and gave up. They are both nursing the other side and are full every time I go out. I called my vet and he mentioned using a teat knife but not sure that will work either and hate to expose her to infection if it doesn't.

·
Registered
30,619 Posts
Even with the cannula you got nothing? Milk did not flow from the cannula? Could be super tight orifice or tissue closing at the too..internal. has she ever damaged the udder or teat?.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Even with the cannula you got nothing? Milk did not flow from the cannula? Could be super tight orifice or tissue closing at the too..internal. has she ever damaged the udder or teat?.
No, no milk. I didn't get the cannula past the teat though. It was dark and there was a lot of kicking since we had already been messing with her a while. She has not ever had a damaged teat or udder. She did have a precocious udder last summer but didn't think she had any issues with it.

·
Registered
30,619 Posts
She may need a sonogram to see if the orifice is complete. Maybe try first very warm compresses, with peppermint Ess. oil and balm to help open things up. Keep working on the tiny teat, keep milking may help open the orifice open a bit more. But in the lease get the udder comfortable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts