First time doe

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by DaniJordan, Jan 19, 2021.

1. DaniJordan

DaniJordan New Member

Jan 19, 2021
    Texas
    I have a first time doe to kid yesterday, she has twins one didn't make it. The other was ice cold I brought it in the house and put it on the heating pad, she finally got warm and was acting hungry. I milked mom for fresh colostrum she ate good about 8 o'clock last night and again at 11PM. But now this morning she is not wanting to eat she is just sleeping. I have raised a lot of babies on bottle but never one this small, she is pygmy. I don't know what to do for her or if this is normal for a baby that was almost dead when I found her.

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  2. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Get a rectal temp on this baby. If she is too cold, she will not be able to digest milk. If she is below 101.5, you need to get her temp up. I would give her a very small bit of honey, strong coffee by syringe on her tongue b-complex - make sure she can swallow. Has she pooped or standing hunchy? She may need to pass a bowel movement, in that case a warm water enema with some mild dish soap will be fine. Rectally with a syringe *no needle*, about 2 cc for her size. Get a weight - you don't want to overfeed. Hope this helps, babies can be hard.

3. DaniJordan

DaniJordan New Member

Jan 19, 2021
    Texas
    I haven't taken her temp but her mouth feels warm. She has been peeing and passed her first poop. When I found her I put honey under her tongue and about 30 minutes later she started to perk up. She can stand up with a little her to get her balance.

Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.
  4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Keep working with her.
    It is best to get a temp before feeding her, so you are sure it is at minimum 100 degrees.

5. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. Good luck with the baby, I hope she eats soon!

Moers kiko boars likes this.
  6. Moers kiko boars

Moers kiko boars Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2018
    Oklahoma
    Glad you are here. Good luck with that little one!

MadHouse likes this.
  7. DaniJordan

DaniJordan New Member

Jan 19, 2021
    Texas
    This afternoon she is doing much better still not out of the woods yet. She is standing on her own and trying to follow me. Thank you for all of your kind words, keep the prayers coming! ❤️

8. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Welcome We’re glad you’re here.
    try to weigh her daily on a scale that also does ounces to make sure she’s gaining weight.
    I’m glad she’s perking up though :)

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Good to hear she is a bit better.

Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.
  10. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

You must also see if she will drink from mom.