The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have three does that I purchased to start my breeding project, what is usually a good age to try to breed them at? Where do you guys suggest getting kidding stalls? I'm liking the idea of the outdoor dog kennels made of chain link that you can buy from Home Depot (they have flooring, shade cloths and weather proof roofs available too), but am up for other suggestions. One of the goats I got came from a lady who separates the babies from mom at around 6 days old and starts to bottle feed them mamas milk to make them more socialized, is that a good idea? How long should I wait to breed the females again after they've kidded? I'm a total newbie in this world and am up for any and all advice that can be offered. I have Lamancha, Nubian, and Nigerians that I'm trying to breed. I like the milking breeds, and the ones I have so far are pretty decent goats. I've also got a website/facebook page for my goat project, any suggestions on how to advertise better? I've been taking my Nigerian female with me to farmers market to try and spread the word, but I'm not sure how far it's getting.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I'm new to this too, I'm a step ahead of you. I have a Nubian/Lamancha doe due any day now, and a kinder due at the end of the month. (Can't wait) My kidding pens are in my barn, so can't help ya there. I believe they should at least be 8 months to breed and depending on the breed roughly 80 lbs, small breeds probably 40-45. I know my doe in milk I bought only weighs that much, she's healthy:) I also think it is best to wait up to 4 months to breed again, however if you have standard breeds they are seasonal breeders and will only breed in the fall/winter months. If you want well socialized kids, yeah you can separate at 6 days, and bottle feed. I am planning to separate at 2 weeks at night, milk mom in the morning and bottle feed the kids in the am, and then let them nurse in mom the rest of the day. I spend a lot of time with all 8 of my goats, so I'm sure the kids will be well socialized. Good luck with you project and welcome to the forum:)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I'm getting pretty excited/nervous about all of this. Excited because babies and milk (who wouldn't be excited?) but then nervous because this is my first go around and I'm just starting up so my name isn't quite out there yet, finding babies good homes might prove difficult. Good luck with your goats too!

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
Congrats on the Does. :)

For breeding Age: A year, year and a half is best. Be sure though they are of decent size too.
What kind of goats are they?

Dog kennels will work.

Do you have a barn or shed? You can build wood stalls, hog panel stalls to even pallet stalls. Make sure kids born can not squeeze through it though.

Are you wanting to milk the Does? If not, there is no need to separate the kids from them.

Also, if you do not want to bottle feed, momma is usually the best situation for the kids. Unless of course, momma doesn't have enough milk, or other issues to prevent it. Or, you have a top show goat, you don't want her kids to be too rough and ruin her udder.
Each breeder is different, it depends on what you want to do.
Socializing with humans. Just spend time with them, give treats and scratches. They will be just as socialized as bottle babies. I have no issues with mine not being friendly.

Re-breeding does again, I would do it 1x a year, the goat lives longer and helps her get back into shape before breeding her again. They are dried up and ready for their next kiddo's. If you breed to often, bad things can happen and they may not be in good enough health for her kids.

Advertising, having the website and facebook are good. Maybe put up flyers in your feed stores ect may help too. Sometimes craigslist helps and sometimes not.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! I have lamancha, nubian, and nigerian goats, yes i want to milk them. Pallet stalls sound pretty cool, I'll have to try that out some time. Our girls stay at the local FFA farm for the most part, want to keep them far away from the bucks (I live across town and the bucks stay at my house). The only time I plan on bringing girlies home is when they're getting ready to kid. That way I can make sure everything goes smoothly and I can keep a close eye on them and the babies. I will also milk them at home. I was looking for decent stall ideas because, well, we have none lol I have a year until I really have to worry about having them though, The girls aren't getting bred until between December and February (they're of different ages, so they'll be bred at different times, also spaces out the kids nicely). I'm getting really excited about all of this, and I can't wait for babies to arrive! Nothing makes ,e happier than happy healthy goat babies running around.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts