The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, long time googler of questions that lead me here, first time poster.
I have a first time nubian doe that kidded yesterday, healthy babies, easy birth. Ive seen both nurse on her at times, but today one side of her udder was real big and hard.
After some research, i decided to milk it out. No stink, smelled like good clean milk. I offered it to the babies, but they dont like the nipple, and went straight back to nursing on mama when they were back in the pen.
So the real question:
Ive got 2 cups of milk out of that teat that the babies dont want. Would it be gross to drink it? Or would it be better to freeze it and save for emergencies?
This is my first year with babies. I milked another last year but she had already weaned her kids. Im just wondering about the colostrum content

Attachments

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I can not help you, I have never kidded.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
Welcome! I always suspect something wrong with the milk if the kid does not like it. Have you tested with CMT? If you do not have it, maybe some cow owner nearby can sell or offer you a "sip"? You can also try it yourself. If it tastes salty, it is not good for any kid. Others will have more advice! Congratulations to cute kids!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice. I just tasted it. Tastes like sweet creamy goat milk. It was just the nipple on the bottle they werent a fan of, because they went back to nursing on mama after i tried to bottle feed.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
But they suck from only one teat? Maybe they just got used to that. In that case the other teat is yours. Congrats - if you like milk! They look healthy, so just check that they do jump and play as kids shall. Then you know they get enough.

PS - and if you get your CMT from a cow owner, remember that goats have more cells in their milk than cows.

·
Premium Member
4,675 Posts
Hey all, long time googler of questions that lead me here, first time poster.
I have a first time nubian doe that kidded yesterday, healthy babies, easy birth. Ive seen both nurse on her at times, but today one side of her udder was real big and hard.
After some research, i decided to milk it out. No stink, smelled like good clean milk. I offered it to the babies, but they dont like the nipple, and went straight back to nursing on mama when they were back in the pen.
So the real question:
Ive got 2 cups of milk out of that teat that the babies dont want. Would it be gross to drink it? Or would it be better to freeze it and save for emergencies?
This is my first year with babies. I milked another last year but she had already weaned her kids. Im just wondering about the colostrum content
Freeze that liquid gold! That is colostrum and i am suprised it tastes good lol! Watch them nurse and make sure they nurse on both sides. If they dont she will be like this. She may just be a crazy producer and need milked for a bit even with her kids on her. It could have gotten too full and been tender and mama wouldnt let them nurse that side. So keep a close eye on it and milk it out if she needs.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, i think they couldn't get anything out of the swollen teat because it was hard and swelled up, maybe that plug never came out so they both went after the other teat.
Freeze that liquid gold! That is colostrum and i am suprised it tastes good lol! Watch them nurse and make sure they nurse on both sides. If they dont she will be like this. She may just be a crazy producer and need milked for a bit even with her kids on her. It could have gotten too full and been tender and mama wouldnt let them nurse that side. So keep a close eye on it and milk it out if she needs.
Thanks, i really wasnt sure if it would be better saved or drank haha. It tasted mostly milky when i, very tentatively, tasted it. Maybe a bit of a weird taste in there.
I watched them all for a bit just now, they both like the normal nipple, but i was able to nudge one to the side that had gotten swollen and he eventually grabbed it and nursed.

·
Super Moderator
83,191 Posts
If they are nursing from both sides and have full bellies, they should be OK.

Mama though, if she is too filled with milk, milk her some to make her more comfortable and so she won't get mastitis, until the kids can keep up with the demand or milk some for yourself as well, but leave some for the kiddo's.

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,396 Posts
Freeze the stuff you milked for the colostrum. That might come in handy in a later kidding.

If the babies begin to only drink from one side again, or she's just too full, milk her out to keep her udder nice and soft while still leaving some for the babies. You don't want a mastitis situation.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So heres another question, is there usually enough milk in 1 side for 2 kids? Should they continue to keep sharing?

·
Premium Member
4,675 Posts
So heres another question, is there usually enough milk in 1 side for 2 kids? Should they continue to keep sharing?
To keep your doe comfortable they need drink from both sides. If they only nurse she could get lopsided as well. Her body will produce what they and you take away regularly. If they continue the next few days to favor the one side... tape the fav teat for a day or two and milk It completely out two or three times a day while she is taped. Then untape and see how they do usin both sides. Right now it could be that the teat was plugged like you said and they are drinkin from the side that they are accustomed to. Tapin that teat will make them realize the other works just fine. i had do that with my singlet last year. He would only drink one side for some reason. Then i taped it and he used both sides. you can also do what you did and put each kid on the unused side throughout the day if you can catch them nursin frequently.

·
Registered
4,120 Posts
How do we make sure they do not swallow the tape? I have used my hand for that, just to show them "Here is one more teat, taste!"

·
Premium Member
4,675 Posts
How do we make sure they do not swallow the tape? I have used my hand for that, just to show them "Here is one more teat, taste!"
I made my tapes like a bandaid... left long sides and taped over sticky side to sticky side in the middle where the teat tip was. To make it so it did not stick to the super sensitive part. Then the rest of the tape was on the udder. The kid didnt get the tape off. I also went around the teat as well. Youtube has some good videos of teat tapin. I also did this when we were weanin him and boy howdy did he try gettin his nip lol.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Sometimes the kids like to nurse from one side bc the other side gets too big for them to nurse from. It happens a lot with singles. I normally milk them both out even for the first couple days and eventually the kids will evenly nurse both sides. If she kidded yesterday, it was probably colostrum you were drinking. I try to milk and freeze colostrum after my does kid. It is good to have on hand.

·
Super Moderator
83,191 Posts
Pick one kid , the same kid and teach it the ignored side, if she gets too much milk on any side, milk some out then put the kid on the teat. Every time you see them fighting for one side, grab the same kid and put it on the ignored side, eventually that kid will adapt to that side.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts