first time freshning doe is milking stand stupid

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by luvbug*diapers, Mar 3, 2010.

1. luvbug*diapers

luvbug*diapers New Member

Feb 22, 2010
    sunny california
    okay we have a first time doe here and well she is stand stupid.
    How do you all train your goats to get used to the stand? :shrug:
    Hubby is out there now making a ramp for her.
    We have tried grain.
    any ideas would be so awsome.
    thank you
    :help: :help: :help:

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    It takes alot of time, patience and perseverance on your part as well as your does.

Each one of my girls is trained to the stand due to me feeding them on the stand, regardless of wether I'm milking or not. They know they get food there and are eager to jump up.

Your young lady will need practice, even when it's not milking time, have her jump up for treats and lock her in the headgate while you brush her or rub her belly, legs udder etc.

I do have seasoned girls that will try my patience by either squatting or kicking, they do learn pretty quick that I'm still going to milk even if they act out, one handed at times and it takes longer but I refuse to let them know they won.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    put her front feet on the stand and then grab her hind end and swing her up.

4. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Don't feed her grain anywhere but on the stand for a while...she will get used to it eventually. It helps to have a regular routine so she knows what is expected of her.

5. luvbug*diapers

Feb 22, 2010
    sunny california
    yes i can see this is going to take a bit of work on our part,
    she seems scared of it.
    we have let the other seasoned goatie out at the same time and she haeds to the stand in full speed.hoping if the new one see the seasoned one she may learn from that also.

she is now putting her feet on the stand and sticking her head through the head holder.

thank you for all the great ideas.i will defenitly keep going with her.
    she is even sensitive to me rubbing around on her belly and heaven forbid i touch her udder. :GAAH:
    Thank you

:angelgoat: :ponder:

6. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Not sure what kind of goat she is but I have been known to pick up my girls and place them on the stand if they won't go themselves. I also had one doe who always sat when I milked her- I just let her sit on my leg. we did that for a few months and she got annoyed and started standing. Goats and toddlers sometimes are very similar!!!!

7. FunnyRiverFarm

FunnyRiverFarm New Member

Sep 13, 2008
    Hudson, MI
    Most goats don't really like having their udder areas messed with before they kid...I wouldn't worry too much about that for now and just focus on getting her comfortable standing and eating on the milk stand first.

8. luvbug*diapers

Feb 22, 2010
    sunny california
    okay ill leave the udder alone and just keep working on the stand with her.

i was so happy to see her front feet up the other day with her stretching through the head hole.
    baby steps

9. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yup my 4th freshioner wont LET me touch her udder last year or this year and she is fairly good once she has kidded. But I haven noticed this is the case with just abotu every pregnant goat I have owned (not everyone) so as long as she is comfortable with the milking stand itself that will make transitioning to milking a lot easier as she will see the milking stand as good instead of bad.