first time getting goats dehorned..bad vet

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Zero, Jul 19, 2010.

1. Zero

Zero New Member

May 9, 2010
    Florida
    Well, today we went to get the babys dehorned. The vet gave the goats anesthesia but did not bother to check and see if the goats were out. One was still awake and he started to dehorn her and she screamed out in pain. He did not stop and did the other side to. :veryangry: . Though before that when he put them on the ground he did not handle the goats with care. When going to move one he grabbed it by the neck and dragged her.
    He erks me so :hair:

We are now off to find another goat vet in the area.

Is there anything I need to do, to take care of the babys ?

2. goinggoaty

goinggoaty New Member

May 19, 2010
    Edgewood, New Mexico
    Just a suggestion but when you do find a vet maybe take a goat in for a checkup and see how the vet handles them rather than a procedure which is easier on both goat and human. If the vet is gentle and treats your goat the way you'd like it to be then try the next step. I think that some vets and people view all livestock as dumb animals who don't deserve aknowledgement or respect. It really bothers me when people disregard living things like they don't feel pain or that they don't have emotions. I know I'm a nut! I used to work at a vet clinic and always treated the animals the way I'd like mine to be treated in someone else's care. I hope your little ones are doing okay and am sorry that y'all had to go through that.

3. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I don't want ot play devils advocate, but...Did the vet want to knock them out or just give them a tranquilizer? Was he disbudding or dehorning? For disbudding almost all kids will cry out. Unless they had big horns the vets usually won't knock the kids out for disbudding. If these are adults then they should have been completely knocked out for the procedure. It doesn't hurt a goat to grab the neck and pull them along unless they are like flinging around or your choking them or something. If he was being extra rough then I can see, but that is an easy, effective way to move a stubborn goat without hurting it. If I was there I might feel differently, but I agree with Anika on finding a new vet and then taking the goat in for a check up and to see exactly how the vet treats the goat. ;)

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    I agree with Kylee on the disbudding will make them cry out even if they are tranquilized or knocked out. I also will handle my goats by their neck (like under the chin and around the ears where their collar would be if they had one) this is a safe and effective way to handle a goat.

But if this bothers you offer to handle the goat when in the office or find another vet.

5. Zero

Zero New Member

May 9, 2010
    Florida
    Here is the thing for the longest of times this guy has given some shots to a few of our dogs, and familys dogs, he helped a little in our horses we use to have. '

When we were having the goats get their shots he seemed off to me, but I though he maybe in just a mood. He wethered my baby boy but I wasnt there when that happened.

After seeing this I said forget it! I wont even let him near my dogs again. I rarely give vets a second chance and I was getting flakey feelings when we first got the goats. He is done, I will never ever use him again. Thing is I will go to a doctor for me and he can screw up I dont know how many times before I say enoughs, enough. Although when it comes to my pets one mess up and you less a lot of money. He lost at least 15 dogs (not all mine but in the family), 7 goats, and 2 cats. Also god knows how many horses (know alot of people who have horses that use him).

I am with you, even livestock have feelings. Hearing poor little Bess cry out just ripped my heart up, and to know he didnt stop to give her some more anesthesia. We payed to have her under, but it was clear she was still awake...not standing awake but very much still awake

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Sounds like ...the vet was in a hurry and didn't care...what a shame...to put that much pain onto a goat..... I am so sorry.... the vet did that. :( ..so uncalled for....... I don't blame you for seeking another vet.... I would do the same......my heart is with you.... :hug:

7. goinggoaty

goinggoaty New Member

May 19, 2010
    Edgewood, New Mexico
    Wow you paid for her to be under and he failed to make sure she was? That is awful I am glad it wan't me because I tend to lose my temper at the flick of a switch when you mess with my family which includes all the critters too, needless to say that doc would have been dehorned too. It definetly is a fault in my character but boy howdy there is a line you don't want to cross with me. Sure hope you find a new vet close by.

8. Zero

Zero New Member

May 9, 2010
    Florida
    We did find a new one, because I had to call around to find another. This one is closer so I am hoping this one isnt a quack.

I thought I may have to go to another one today because the other kid was still out. We did this at around 9:15 and she had just gotten on her feet at 11:44. I started to get worried but all is good.

He was harsh when pulling, because before I could tell him enough when he was working on my first kid he quickly jerked her to the side and pulled the second one into place. The movement was so fast and he only used one hand to pull on the neck. I would have felt a little better if it was done on grass or dirt but he pulled her died like body on cement.

I am going to go get a feel of the new people soon before I let them do anything real big like this.

9. Zero

Zero New Member

May 9, 2010
    Florida
    here are some of the kids before the whole thing went down.
    :kidred:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    QBee aka queen bee with her mom in the red box. I have no clue why they pick the nasty red box((thing that hooks up to the tracktor that carrys dirt)). We have a area with walls and hay but they all picked the dirty red box. I just cleaned it out to the other day and put a light coat of hay down and they wouldnt go in it. As soon as I took the hay out it was good to go. :kidred:
    [​IMG]

10. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    honestly the kids are going to scream no matter what.. and i also handlethem by the neck... to me sounds like the only thing the vet did wrong was he was rushed (as most vets are)

11. Polarhug

Polarhug New Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Southcentral Alaska
    Oh my gosh Bessy really looks like a little cow! They are super cute

12. Zero

Zero New Member

May 9, 2010
    Florida
    I dont know, when I payed to have them fully out I just figured it would be like humans getting surgery done where they go night night and wake up with some sort of scar. QBee was fully out and didnt make a peep but Bess was still awake. Her little tail was wagging and all.

Thanks Polarhug ^^
    Its hard as crap to get pictures of the kids...well any of them really.
    What really shocks me is that the kids look so much alike. I know they have the same dad and all but I pictured them being a little different sence the mothers look different. Mable being tan, black and some white, and Nellie being all black and white.
    We can never sell QBee now. When I had brought them back Mable was in such a depressed state that I could pet her and she didnt even lift her head. So its safe to say QBee and Bessy are not going any where.
    I wish I had better pictures of the two, I have been working my butt off trying to get one with both of them together. Bessy is already working on pushing her little mother out of the feed buckets.

13. Zero

Zero New Member

May 9, 2010
    Florida
    I dont know, when I payed to have them fully out I just figured it would be like humans getting surgery done where they go night night and wake up with some sort of scar. QBee was fully out and didnt make a peep but Bess was still awake. Her little tail was wagging and all.

Thanks Polarhug ^^
    Its hard as crap to get pictures of the kids...well any of them really.
    What really shocks me is that the kids look so much alike. I know they have the same dad and all but I pictured them being a little different sence the mothers look different. Mable being tan, black and some white, and Nellie being all black and white.
    We can never sell QBee now. When I had brought them back Mable was in such a depressed state that I could pet her and she didnt even lift her head. So its safe to say QBee and Bessy are not going any where.
    I wish I had better pictures of the two, I have been working my butt off trying to get one with both of them together. Bessy is already working on pushing her little mother out of the feed buckets.
    edit
    I guess my problem of the handling part is not so much the neck grabbing but how he dragged the baby out of the way quickly.

14. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    I went through 3 vets before I found Dr. Berry. He's about 40-45 min. away but well worth the drive. :p If you ever come to Alabama, I'll introduce you! He's worth it.

:hug:

Gina

15. Zero

Zero New Member

May 9, 2010
    Florida
    I might take you up on the offer if I can not find a vet worth my time ^^

Doesnt seem like to much of a drive at all. I have driven all the way to GA for dog shows I would be willing to go to Alabama for the goats. Also even took a day off of school to do my own little feild trip to Tallahassee to go to a meet that where people want to ban pit bulls, we won^^
    All being day trips

16. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Like I said, give me a heads up and we'll meet you somewhere and show you around. :)

Hey! Our Cowboy Church is having the National Day of the Cowboy on Saturday the 24 at 7pm if you are in the area then. I get to play "Miss Kitty" in the Aces and Eights drama. Hubby is "Hop Sing" complete with braided pony tail hat. :laugh:

Gina

17. myfainters

myfainters New Member

Oct 29, 2009
    Lancaster, CA
    Gee I would be far more worried to have my goats put under anesthesia then I would to have them disbudded..... why did you want them anesthesized?? Maybe the vet knew that knocking a goat completely out is dangerous :idea: ... so he didn't want to risk it for something like disbudding. Do your babies cry when you bathe them??? :chin: Mine throw a MUCH bigger fuss about bath time then they ever do for disbudding. ;) Oh and we won't even talk about leash training.... what mom... you want me to go WHERE?????? :slapfloor: :ROFL:
    I will also move my goaties by their necks... though I ddon't scruff them... was he scruffing them? I tried that once with one of my very tame does and she let me know that scruffing is uncomfortable... so I wouldn't do that and I would definitely pipe in and let my vet know I'd prefer he didn't as well. :)

18. poppypatch

poppypatch New Member

May 30, 2009
    Montesano WA
    I have to agree putting them under anesthesia to disbud is not doing a young kid a big favor although it makes US feel better sometimes. It is not completely safe especially for such a young animal and the recovery time is much longer and harder on the kid in the long run.
    We had a two-week old doeling last year who suffered a bad eye injury. I could only guess from getting poked on a blackberry thorn. Anyway we took her to the vet and they considered eye removal but their main concern was she might not survive being put under the anesthesia at her age for the surgery. We agreed with them to rather try antibiotics and see how the eye did without removal. Ended up her eye just had a tiny clouded area after being healed which was hardly noticeable....and the only reason we didn't have the eye removed at the time it happened was because of the anesthesia concern.